cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2008, 06:28 AM   #21
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
You'll have to explain to me the difference between maintaining the community and control.
I think that's a real interesting question. The short answer that comes to mind is the community says to the individual, if you want to be a part, then take on the markers. The community does this for self-preservation, and those in the community hardly realize it, but they draw strength from sharing identifiable markers. The control comes in, I guess, when the community says, "no markers, no membership," but it's a certain type of control by exclusion.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 06:34 AM   #22
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
I think that's a real interesting question. The short answer that comes to mind is the community says to the individual, if you want to be a part, then take on the markers. The community does this for self-preservation, and those in the community hardly realize it, but they draw strength from sharing identifiable markers. The control comes in, I guess, when the community says, "no markers, no membership," but it's a certain type of control by exclusion.
To be honest, I think the answer one gives to this question depends largely upon whether you are standing wihtin or without the community when you give the answer. One coin, two sides.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:37 AM   #23
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
God is a god of order.
Okay. Wouldn't adding to his simple rules complicate and confuse? Abstaining from coffee doesn't bring me any closer to loving God or my neighbor.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 06:38 AM   #24
creekster

Quote:
Okay. Wouldn't adding to his simple rules complicate and confuse? Abstaining from coffee doesn't bring me any closer to loving God or my neighbor.
The point of this dialogue escapes me.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:40 AM   #25
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
The point of this dialogue escapes me.
It just like any other message board dialogue. Ultimately useless, but fun nonetheless.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 06:42 AM   #26
creekster

Quote:
It just like any other message board dialogue. Ultimately useless, but fun nonetheless.
Not what I meant. I mean this partuicular discussion on the WoW. Although you are right, ultimately it is all uselss but fun, or interesting and, if lucky, both.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:45 PM   #27
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
A lot, but an equal number would dive into depression and have no self-help.

Would people actually be happier? Wine seems to bring its connoiseurs an immense amount of joy. And there'd be much less sex without alcohol, and sex is a happy thing. Smoking seems to relieve a lot of stress and have a calming effect. Perhaps we'd have a more up tight world. And the world without coffee . . . I guess everyone would have to drink Mountain Dew in the mornings instead.
This reminds me of an experience I had a few days ago.

I have been out at a client for much of this week, working long days (gasp!).

On Tuesday evening, we were at the client's office until about 9PM. Afterwards, we took a few of the key finance guys out to a late dinner downtown. They are a good group of folks, so it is always fun to work on projects out at this particular client.

The place where we ate is called Ciudad....a contemporary Cuban restaurant, very good food--not too boojie, but enough to keep out the tourists that are staying across the street at the Bonaventure. Tuesday at Ciudad is paella night, so we all sat outside on the patio, enjoying paella, ceviche, and brie. The restaurant is right on the corner of 5th and Fig......heart of downtown.....tall buildings surrounding us.....the weather was perfect....the city lights were bright...the food was great.

We started shooting the bull about sports, our children, work, etc...Everyone ordered a mojito. I enjoyed some pomegranite juice (delish, btw). The bartender came over to the table, busted out tumblers, mint, rum, etc....crushed it all together, presented the drink. We had a toast.

I must admit, there is an endearing sociality that comes with enjoying a libation with friends or colleagues.....in moderation, a glass of wine, a cold mojito, a thoughtful toast.......all of these things are fun.

It is probably not smiled upon within our culture, but I have always enjoyed going to get a drink with my co-workers, esp after a long day at work....even though I have never had a single drop, nor have been tempted. I can say somewhat "firsthand" that drinking in moderation, per se, can actually be a very fun, socially bonding experience.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 04:05 PM   #28
scottie

scottie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
This reminds me of an experience I had a few days ago.

I have been out at a client for much of this week, working long days (gasp!).

On Tuesday evening, we were at the client's office until about 9PM. Afterwards, we took a few of the key finance guys out to a late dinner downtown. They are a good group of folks, so it is always fun to work on projects out at this particular client.

The place where we ate is called Ciudad....a contemporary Cuban restaurant, very good food--not too boojie, but enough to keep out the tourists that are staying across the street at the Bonaventure. Tuesday at Ciudad is paella night, so we all sat outside on the patio, enjoying paella, ceviche, and brie. The restaurant is right on the corner of 5th and Fig......heart of downtown.....tall buildings surrounding us.....the weather was perfect....the city lights were bright...the food was great.

We started shooting the bull about sports, our children, work, etc...Everyone ordered a mojito. I enjoyed some pomegranite juice (delish, btw). The bartender came over to the table, busted out tumblers, mint, rum, etc....crushed it all together, presented the drink. We had a toast.

I must admit, there is an endearing sociality that comes with enjoying a libation with friends or colleagues.....in moderation, a glass of wine, a cold mojito, a thoughtful toast.......all of these things are fun.

It is probably not smiled upon within our culture, but I have always enjoyed going to get a drink with my co-workers, esp after a long day at work....even though I have never had a single drop, nor have been tempted. I can say somewhat "firsthand" that drinking in moderation, per se, can actually be a very fun, socially bonding experience.
Your post reminded me of this thread on Cougarboard from a couple of years ago:

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=1898696
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 04:28 PM   #29
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
Your post reminded me of this thread on Cougarboard from a couple of years ago:

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=1898696
I didnt read all the replies, but a few thoughts...

1. There is a difference between going to grab a drink with co-workers and "doing the bar scene." The former is a networking/social activity within your social circle. The latter is to meet new people for dating/sexual purposes. I doubt very highly that idacoug's coworkers were going out en masse looking for sex after work. They were just having a drink, likely eating some food.

2. On a related note, judging by the girth and follicle status of many CBers, lets just say that they don't have to worry about "doing the bar scene," unless they are talking about candy bars. No single women will be bothering the CBer who goes to Happy Hour wearing his Fully Invested shirt, pleated brown dockers, and those weird Nike mocassin slip-ons that have no shoelaces.

3. I would agree that freqeuntly going anywhere with co-workers after work is not conducive to family life........but apres-work meals are simply a part of doing business in some industries. I would say I go out to lunch with clients at least 3 times a week. Dinners.....maybe once a week. Sometimes not even that.

4. Many large firms have a Friday tradition involving libations....."wine downs," "margarita mixers," traditional happy hours offsite....this is not uncommon. I am not sure I agree with those who claimed that advancement within a firm is contingent in part on your willingness to socialize at these events. Ultimately, you advance if you do good work and make rain.....I dont view happy hours as a way to further my career. I view it as a way to hang out with some of my friends.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 05:13 PM   #30
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I didnt read all the replies, but a few thoughts...

1. There is a difference between going to grab a drink with co-workers and "doing the bar scene." The former is a networking/social activity within your social circle. The latter is to meet new people for dating/sexual purposes. I doubt very highly that idacoug's coworkers were going out en masse looking for sex after work. They were just having a drink, likely eating some food.

2. On a related note, judging by the girth and follicle status of many CBers, lets just say that they don't have to worry about "doing the bar scene," unless they are talking about candy bars. No single women will be bothering the CBer who goes to Happy Hour wearing his Fully Invested shirt, pleated brown dockers, and those weird Nike mocassin slip-ons that have no shoelaces.

3. I would agree that freqeuntly going anywhere with co-workers after work is not conducive to family life........but apres-work meals are simply a part of doing business in some industries. I would say I go out to lunch with clients at least 3 times a week. Dinners.....maybe once a week. Sometimes not even that.

4. Many large firms have a Friday tradition involving libations....."wine downs," "margarita mixers," traditional happy hours offsite....this is not uncommon. I am not sure I agree with those who claimed that advancement within a firm is contingent in part on your willingness to socialize at these events. Ultimately, you advance if you do good work and make rain.....I dont view happy hours as a way to further my career. I view it as a way to hang out with some of my friends.
Ultumately making it rain will be what advances you, I agree. However, when you are young in your career it is helpful in many industries to schmooze with the senior people. The more that they know you, the more that they are comfortable giving you opportunities to develop your skillset at work.

I am a budding financial expert witness and early on in my career the best way for me to get on the most preferable jobs was to get to know the managers and seniors. The best way to get to know them was to go out to lunch with them, and attend happy hours. I am glad I did it. It served me well. There were Mormons in our office that did not network with their superiors and it landed them on shitty jobs.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote