cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2007, 03:22 PM   #21
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I made a decently long reply to SU, and then my browser (Firefox) crashed.

I guess it wasn't meant to be.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 03:23 PM   #22
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Does Harold Bloom your posts?
Nobody, and I mean nobody, blooms my posts. Not even Harold.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:24 PM   #23
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I made a decently long reply to SU, and then my browser (Firefox) crashed.

I guess it wasn't meant to be.
LOL. The dog ate my homework.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 03:33 PM   #24
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Basically Harold Bloom says "this is what resonates with me and this is why it does."

This will be interesting to some, and not as interesting to others. Bloom has described himself as a gnostic Jew, so it makes sense that a gnostic American religion would hold appeal to him.

Of course, the idea that he is bought off by Mormons is ridiculous, and impugns the person who suggested it.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:40 PM   #25
SeattleUte

Quote:
Of course, the idea that he is bought off by Mormons is ridiculous, and impugns the person who suggested it.
You're going for the capillary. I suggested no such thing. But I assume it costs a pretty penny to get Bloom to say something to your group. I noticed Giulani went from $7,000 net worth at the time of his most recent divorce to $30 million net worth, from lecturing. I know Sunstone is not well endowed. It would be interesting to know more about his relationship with these Mormon intellectuals he references. That's all. I think whatever he may be saying he's not bought off. He's being sincere, though I think some of his Mormon readers have made a mountain out of a mole hill.

—Paul Auster
Old 05-18-2007, 03:47 PM   #26
MikeWaters
Demiurge

If you don't like Bloom's viewpoint, that's your prerogative.

I just find it amusing that it you get worked up when some people do like it.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:03 PM   #27
SeattleUte

Quote:
If you don't like Bloom's viewpoint, that's your prerogative.

I just find it amusing that it you get worked up when some people do like it.
I most emphatically deny I'm worked up about this. I had fun dashing out my little essay on Bloom last night.

—Paul Auster
Old 05-18-2007, 04:07 PM   #28
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Bloom likes Joseph.

Doesn't like BoM.

Says Joseph had a "healthy sexuality."
Old 05-18-2007, 04:24 PM   #29
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Interesting article by Bloom that looks at Joseph Smith and the thread from him to the modern church. I wish it were longer.

I have been arguing against our movement towards traditional Christianity for a long time. I am the anti-Jay Santos. Jay sees the future as Joel Osteen. I see the future as the King Follett discourse.

http://www.sunstoneonline.com/magazi.../145/18-19.pdf

I am reminded of the talk that a person in my ward gave. He started off by saying "We are not Christians. And we should be proud of it." It was a great talk. The point is that we should embrace that which makes us different. Because if we don't, we will not be different. And that will be the end of the church.
I don't find value in being different or being the same as another religion. It's a matter of truth. I believe the church is evolving and becoming more and more true, and part of that is in grace/works and other topics that Evangelical Christians get right (IMHO) and that we've steered off in the wrong direction because of a brand image issue.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 07:50 PM   #30
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
MW, I wasn't really trying to argue that. I do think deification is an important doctrine. It's important to me. I would be sad to see it lost. I'm arguing that I don't think that deification implies henotheism and it is not an accurate reflection of Joseph Smith conception of God and I think it cloud's Bloom's analysis. I think Blake Ostler describes things reasonably well when he describes Joseph Smith's and Mormon Theology as Kingship Monotheism. He says, "There is a Most High God who is king over others of the same kind who give the Most High obeisance in gratitude for his great gifts. Kingship monotheism is consistent with social trinitarianism to the extent that the king can have a successor by adoption or a co-ruler by permission." This is clearly different than traditional Christianity, but more recognizable than I think Bloom admits and I also think you can still describe Mormonism this way.

I think I agree here, but I will have to think about it more. At the very least the rate of increase has drastically slowed.

Apparently Hinckley is on record rejecting deification (was it ever a doctrine?). I haven't done more than scan this so correct me if I'm wrong.

http://www.mormonapologetics.org/ind...howtopic=24463

—Paul Auster