cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2008, 09:14 PM   #21
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Why bring it up then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Help me out here. What is the dishonesty? Where in the article did she equate the two?
Are you really that naive?
exUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 02:41 AM   #22
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
American's, do you favor?

Because that is exactly what happened. Remember the interview of the FBI agent who either did or witnessed waterboarding on high level terrorists (I believe it was done to 3........yes three)? He said he disapproved of the tactics but in the end, it saved the lives of Americans and US soldiers.

To that I say ....... booyah!
Why do you act like anything that saves the lives of Americans must be good?

Would you favor the killing of a little baby to save American lives (and no, I am not equating that to waterboarding)? If not, you too have limits on what you would accept.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 02:42 AM   #23
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
innocent Americans to be slaughtered as a result of not waterboarding. Did any of the terrorists (a total of 3) die. But it certainly scared the crap .... err.... plans out of them.

Like I said...........booyah!

We're in a friggin war. And you think the terrorists who capture our soldiers give a rats 'a' what we do to them? They will continue to behead, shove hot pokers up the rectums of their victims, etc regardless of whether we waterboard some of them.

C'mon. Get a grip on reality. This is not an academic exercise we are involved in.
What would you have said to the people of Anti-Nephi-Lehi? Were they immoral?
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:04 AM   #24
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
What would you have said to the people of Anti-Nephi-Lehi? Were they immoral?
I love how every anti-war-at-all-costs hippie uses the ONE example of people laying down their arms and getting slaughtered, while ignoring the many many other times the people of God have gone to war righteously.

The people of Anti-Nephi-Lehi had very sinful pasts. They felt that making their covenant was the only way to save their souls. The Lord accepted this. It is a great example of repentance.

But you can't extrapolate it to every situation where there is conflict.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 04:54 AM   #25
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
I love how every anti-war-at-all-costs hippie uses the ONE example of people laying down their arms and getting slaughtered, while ignoring the many many other times the people of God have gone to war righteously.

The people of Anti-Nephi-Lehi had very sinful pasts. They felt that making their covenant was the only way to save their souls. The Lord accepted this. It is a great example of repentance.

But you can't extrapolate it to every situation where there is conflict.
Indeed. In fact, what Cali is arguing is a corrollary of what I am arguing. He says the protection of American lives does not grant de facto moral authority to commit any given act of torture. Well enough. In like manner, Pol Pot's use of any given technique does not de facto make us morally equivalent to him (which is Amanpour's unspoken--or spoken--intent with this piece).

Each technique must be evaluated--and permitted or disallowed--on its own merits, or lack thereof. I refuse to accept the canard that the use of waterboarding puts us on the fast track to Cambodian-style genocide.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:22 AM   #26
Frank Ryan
Formerly Mastershake

Frank Ryan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Indeed. In fact, what Cali is arguing is a corrollary of what I am arguing. He says the protection of American lives does not grant de facto moral authority to commit any given act of torture. Well enough. In like manner, Pol Pot's use of any given technique does not de facto make us morally equivalent to him (which is Amanpour's unspoken--or spoken--intent with this piece).

Each technique must be evaluated--and permitted or disallowed--on its own merits, or lack thereof. I refuse to accept the canard that the use of waterboarding puts us on the fast track to Cambodian-style genocide.
tex, do you find amanour attractive?

-- Ken Loach
Frank Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:24 AM   #27
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Ryan View Post
Wow, that's relevant.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:26 AM   #28
Frank Ryan
Formerly Mastershake

Frank Ryan is on a distinguished road

it's a fair question

-- Ken Loach
Frank Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 12:31 PM   #29
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post

Tex 1
Cali and everyone else 0
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:37 PM   #30
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Ryan View Post
Do I see an Adam's apple?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote