cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2008, 01:58 PM   #21
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Condi Rice?!?!?!?

Then it will be all about the war.

I hope he picks Huckabee just to see SU poop his pants.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:05 PM   #22
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Condi Rice?!?!?!?

With John McCain, it will always just be about the war. So maybe he needs to get somebody with some economic cred, but I don't think it'll be another white dude.

McCain has a lot of work to do rebuilding lost goodwill among conservatives and Romney supporters. Picking Huck won't do it, regardless of the digestive problems it may cause SU.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:05 PM   #23
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Condi Rice?!?!?!?

SU won't be the only one.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:07 PM   #24
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
SU won't be the only one.
LOL. No kidding.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:10 PM   #25
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I might vote for Hillary before I voted for Huckabee.

AND I HATE THE CLINTONS!!!
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:22 PM   #26
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Mark Levin:

Quote:
The problem is that McCain has a number of factors working against him, including his own long career of hostility toward the people he needs to win the general election. If you can't consolidate and motivate your base, you will not win the presidency. It has been his strategy to distance himself in numerous and provocative ways from his own party. He has used the tactic of alienation to pander to constituencies outside the party. And he has been so prominent and antagonistic in the execution of his strategy that it's difficult to see how he can overcome his own record. This is one of the reasons why many of us have opposed him from the start, i.e., he will likely be an unelectable stand-bearer and a drain on the rest of the ticket. To say, from one's computer keyboard, that the Reagan coalition should unify behind McCain to prevent the specter of a Clinton or Obama presidency is wishful thinking. Even here, where the smartest minds are making this case, some use the perverse argument that Reagan wasn't all that conservative anyway, and that's a reason to back McCain. Not only does this defy the evidence of history, but it offends those who lived through that history and who were shaped by it. However, Republican voters are buying it.

I think one important focus of Reagan conservatives should be to do all they can to protect as many Republican seats in the House as possible. There's needs to be at least one elected part of our government that might be in a position to stem what could be a very unpleasant four years.
http://corner.nationalreview.com/pos...RjOTk4MjU0M2Y=

John Derbyshire:

Quote:
I have just logged (here) a third occurrence, in about 24 hours, of the phrase "suicide voters" — i.e. people who will vote Democrat in November to prevent a McCain presidency.

It's not an original idea, of course, but I don't recall it from previous campaigns. It's not very tasteful, either; but in the age of South Park Conservatism, that probably won't stop its spread, if it's going to spread.
http://corner.nationalreview.com/pos...I4YWU5ZWJiMmY=

Expect to hear a lot more of this.

EDIT: And, just to be fair, here's the opposing side, via Byron York.

Quote:
Frank Lococo and Raymond Jamieson, lawyers from Milwaukee attending the DRI gathering, decided the McCain rally was a bit more interesting and came over to see the candidate. They told me they’re both long-time subscribers to National Review, habitual readers of NRO, and, in Jamieson’s case, the proud owner of three books signed by William F. Buckley.

But what about what they’re hearing about McCain on talk radio? “I wish it would stop,” Lococo told me. “I’m a little surprised by Sean Hannity. Actually, he’s really made me angry about it, because he’s had Senator McCain on for years on his show, always treated him with respect, and when they disagreed it was not venomous like it is now. I was listening to Hannity in the car today, and I had to turn it off, I couldn’t listen any more, because it was like he was talking about Hillary Clinton or Al Gore or John Kerry.”
http://article.nationalreview.com/?q...ZjMjhhNTg1NjY=

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 02-06-2008 at 02:26 PM.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:25 PM   #27
MikeWaters
Demiurge

If McCain is not electable, I guarantee you that Romney and Huck are even less electable.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:53 PM   #28
minn_stat

minn_stat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I have a tough time believing conservatives could be this stupid or self-destructive. It's just emotion. It will pass.
I'm not so sure about that, Jeff.

I haven't posted much on the presidential primary races. Up until about 3 weeks ago, I was on the fence. I'm a lifelong republican, and there were several candidates I felt pretty good about. One of them was Romney (I admit, partially because of the "tribe" commonality, as you put it here), and one of them was not McCain.

Romney's response to Bush's (and congress') insipid tax rebate galvanized me in to his camp. Once in, I looked into it more deeply, and it all fell into place for me; I became an ardent supporter. The "tribe" thing became mostly inconsequential -- I was drawn to his actual ideas, his willingness to try to find creative solutions for real problems (his attempts to try an innovative yet fairly conservative solution to a real problem, health care, for example). His ideas on jump-starting the economy, IMO, are light years beyond what any other candidate suggests. The man is very bright and a problem-solver and very willing to serve for good causes. The type of man I want to be president.

My wife had already been an ardent supporter (primarily because of the tribe thing), and with me now a "true believer", we became involved in his campaign here in Minnesota. We (and our ten year old daughter) called MN republicans on his behalf, talked to neighbors, put up signs, and were active at our caucus last night. We were among his supporters at his appearance here last Saturday - my precocious daughter got his autograph. (I'm sure you all noticed the fruits of our efforts )

Over the past week, I've spent time considering what I'll do if Mitt loses. Although still somewhat undecided, my tentative conclusion is this: If it is McCain/Huckabee vs. Hillary, I'll either vote Hillary, or, more likely, third party (Libertarian or Constitutional party, depending on their candidate). If they are against Obama, I will likely vote for McCain, although 3rd party is a possibility here as well. McCain with another VP candidate is still undetermined.

This post is long enough already without taking time to elucidate the whys and such, but suffice it to say, I can understand and and somewhat supportive of Tex's point of view.
minn_stat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:55 PM   #29
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn_stat View Post
I'm not so sure about that, Jeff.

I haven't posted much on the presidential primary races. Up until about 3 weeks ago, I was on the fence. I'm a lifelong republican, and there were several candidates I felt pretty good about. One of them was Romney (I admit, partially because of the "tribe" commonality, as you put it here), and one of them was not McCain.

Romney's response to Bush's (and congress') insipid tax rebate galvanized me in to his camp. Once in, I looked into it more deeply, and it all fell into place for me; I became an ardent supporter. The "tribe" thing became mostly inconsequential -- I was drawn to his actual ideas, his willingness to try to find creative solutions for real problems (his attempts to try an innovative yet fairly conservative solution to a real problem, health care, for example). His ideas on jump-starting the economy, IMO, are light years beyond what any other candidate suggests. The man is very bright and a problem-solver and very willing to serve for good causes. The type of man I want to be president.

My wife had already been an ardent supporter (primarily because of the tribe thing), and with me now a "true believer", we became involved in his campaign here in Minnesota. We (and our ten year old daughter) called MN republicans on his behalf, talked to neighbors, put up signs, and were active at our caucus last night. We were among his supporters at his appearance here last Saturday - my precocious daughter got his autograph. (I'm sure you all noticed the fruits of our efforts )

Over the past week, I've spent time considering what I'll do if Mitt loses. Although still somewhat undecided, my tentative conclusion is this: If it is McCain/Huckabee vs. Hillary, I'll either vote Hillary, or, more likely, third party (Libertarian or Constitutional party, depending on their candidate). If they are against Obama, I will likely vote for McCain, although 3rd party is a possibility here as well. McCain with another VP candidate is still undetermined.

This post is long enough already without taking time to elucidate the whys and such, but suffice it to say, I can understand and and somewhat supportive of Tex's point of view.
You like Hillary more than Obama?
Old 02-06-2008, 03:01 PM   #30
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Condi Rice?!?!?!?

That's a good reason.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote