cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2008, 03:15 AM   #21
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Well, thanks, but you might want to check your avatar. It appears to be upside down.

Nice win over the Sun Devils, btw.
(rim shot) good one

Mike forced my hand. His avatar was making me kind of nauseous.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:31 AM   #22
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If he's going to give them the finger while they sell the party out to right-wing religious zealots, I'm okay with that. The fact that he's making a resurgence gives me hope that perhaps the party isn't quite as lost as I'd thought.
Well, the fact that the GOP establishment hasn't embraced Huckabee indicates the establishment hasn't surrendered to the religious zealots yet. But McCain has stuck it to GOP leadership on a number of occasions and that's why they aren't embracing him. They don't know who to go with at this point, which makes me nervous.

I don't like McCain's global warming schtick, but other than that, he's ok - I'll support whoever the Republican nominee is. I don't think McCain is the answer to the Dems though and frankly I'm not sure there is an answer. I think the Republicans are gonna lose in November, McCain or not.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:19 PM   #23
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
This sums it up:
In fact, McCain has always been far more conservative than either his supporters or detractors acknowledge. In 2004 he earned a perfect 100 percent rating from Phyllis Schlafly's Eagle Forum and a 0 percent from NARAL. Citizens Against Government Waste dubs him a "taxpayer hero." He has opposed extension of the assault-weapons ban, federal hate crimes legislation and the International Criminal Court. He has supported school vouchers, a missile defense shield and private accounts for Social Security. Well before 9/11 McCain advocated a new Reagan Doctrine of "rogue-state rollback."

"He's a foreign policy hawk, a social conservative and a fiscal conservative who believes in tax cuts but not at the expense of the deficit," says Marshall Wittmann, a former McCain staffer and conservative activist who now works at the Democratic Leadership Council. McCain's ideology resembles an exotic cocktail of Teddy Roosevelt, Barry Goldwater and Ronald Reagan--a conservative before conservatism was bankrupted by fundamentalism and corporatism. His centrist reputation simply proves how far right the center has shifted in Republican politics. "The median stance for Senate Republicans in the early 1970s was significantly to the left of current GOP maverick John McCain," write political scientists Jacob Hacker and Paul Pierson in their book Off-Center. "By the early 2000s, however, the median Senate Republican was essentially twice as conservative--just shy of the ultraconservative position of Senator Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania."

link.

According to a Romney email today (via the Corner), McCain's ACU rating was 65% in 2006. I'd like to see it corroborated somewhere else before putting much stock in it, but if true, it puts a dent in the 82% lifetime figure we've been hearing.

http://corner.nationalreview.com/pos...M0MDBkMGE5N2Q=

Corroborated. He had an 80% rating the year before. Seems maybe he veers left in election years?

http://www.acuratings.org/2006all.htm#AZ

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote