cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2006, 12:17 AM   #21
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHippieUTE
If I'm the mormon these guys feel they can approach, they're missing out on the better mormons.
Quote of the day! I don't think you should be a lawyer DHU. I think you should be a writer. You could be the next Dave Barry (when Dave was funny that is).
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 07:32 AM   #22
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default DHU, I run into this all the time

of course I curse quite a bit, so everyone assumes maybe that I am not a Mormon, but you know I get so mad I say yewt all the time. Anyway, I digress.

This distance is percieved maybe by members as avoiding temptation or the appearance of evil. But I think that concern is outweighed by the perception it can give of arrogance and aloofness. The cloistered nature of our faith can give this impression and clannishness or exclusivity may add to it.

Of course everybody always knows that I am a mormon, when they ask me where I am from. Two possible answers : 1.Utah or 2. Alabama. If I say 1 then they say are you a Mormon? And if I say 2. they say "why don't you have an accent?" I say I grew up in Utah, and they repeat 1. So I don't know how you got away with it for so long.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 07:35 AM   #23
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Steelblue is that photo real

I hope so much that it is. If it isn't the person who thought up is genius! I told my ball and chain about it after I told her I thought I should get an Angel Moroni tatooed on my bicep.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 01:43 PM   #24
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

This is a very odd commentary about LDS culture.

It has come along many times and will repeat itself many times again.

Somebody observes LDS to be clannish; another notes how open he is. I'm not certain it's all that different than any other group. You will hear people say that about Jews, Muslim, Catholics, born agains etc.

People congregate with people of common interest. Many LDS are uncomfortable around alcohol. I'm not uncomfortable, but usually find drunks end up being boring. Any activity that involves alcohol usually doesn't involve activity, so it loses my interest. And I've been around alcohol, smoking, drugs, and other activities most of my life. Due to work, I must do it consistently, but that doesn't make it fun. OTH, I can sit comfortably while others indulge.

Why is this so novel? Perhaps others have better things to do.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:25 PM   #25
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad
I hope so much that it is. If it isn't the person who thought up is genius! I told my ball and chain about it after I told her I thought I should get an Angel Moroni tatooed on my bicep.
I can't say for sure, but it certainly looks real.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote