cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 05:19 PM   #21
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Indy's notion that we will only lose due to our own mistakes ignores the obvious fact that we lack great talent at almost every position.
There are plenty of teams that are better than us, they just aren't in the MWC. BYU is probably around a 30th to 40th ranked team, IMO, and that's only because of how good our defense is.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 05:22 PM   #22
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I love BYU, but I dont agree with that sentiment. Most years, BYU and Utah have average teams at best. We play in a piss poor conference. The U gets excited because it won a non-championship BCS bowl game--so in other words, just another bowl game but with some nice cash. It is all one big yawnfest. But since I went to BYU, I love to watch us play and want us to win.

I can list several teams that can beat BYU right now, beyond just BYU. Indy's notion that we will only lose due to our own mistakes ignores the obvious fact that we lack great talent at almost every position. Unga is a great RB and Hall has performed very well, amazingly well.

Also, Can I borrow a feeling is perhaps one of the greatest songs ever written.

Can I borrow a feeling?
Can you send me a jar of love?
Hurting hearts need some healing...
Take my hand with your glove of Love
It is a great song and nobody could ever sing it better than Kirk Van Houten.

My comment about Indy's statement was more about zoobs than BYU fans. There is a difference.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 05:23 PM   #23
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I really think it comes down to the basic fundamentals of what loses games.

If BYU has turnover problems say like they had against UNLV....4 turnovers,,,then they won't beat Utah.

Utah's rushing defense is suspect. They've given up large chunks of yardage in that stat against AFA, Oregon State, and UNLV. I suspect they're gonna have a tougher time with CSU this week than most people think, but in the end Utah pulls out the win.

Utah has looked faster and better on defense in the past couple of games since the return of Gabe Long to clog up the middle and by playing Sylvester and Misi more. It's added an infusion of speed and athleticism that in my opinion was and is sorely missing. Jianonni, Brady and Mokofisi are very average MLB, but playing the new guys has helped.

Come the rivalry game my guess is that Mack and Unga will both struggle to reach 100 yards and it'll come down to the team with the ball last again. What scares me in a game like that is Utah's kicker Sakoda.

As of now,,,it's gonna be a tight game that goes down to the wire.

I also think BYU's Defense is playing much better as of late. I'm a bit surprised teams haven't tried using the Tulsa blueprint more against us. SOmething that I think Utah might try and utilize. That game makes me wonder if it was just an aberration or not. I really don't know why, since no one has really tried following that map of going deep on BYUs secondary early and often.

If anyone tells me that there's a better player defensively in the league right now than Bryan Kehl then I'll tell them they're smoking crack.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:24 PM   #24
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
There are plenty of teams that are better than us, they just aren't in the MWC. BYU is probably around a 30th to 40th ranked team, IMO, and that's only because of how good our defense is.
Oh, well then that is different. I interpreted "the only team..." to literally mean the only team.

If you qualify that by limiting it to the MWC, then I would agree that we have the talent to beat everyone in the conference this year and be kings of that hill...

...Which is kind of like winning an award for being the best second baseman in Tibet....or the highest pole vaulter in a leper colony...does it really matter?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 05:25 PM   #25
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
It is a great song and nobody could ever sing it better than Kirk Van Houten.
Can I borrow the keys to the car, lover? I feel like changing wigs.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 10-22-2007, 05:39 PM   #26
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
If anyone tells me that there's a better player defensively in the league right now than Bryan Kehl then I'll tell them they're smoking crack.
I hear Eric Weddle's jock strap hangs at the end of the tunnel, and the players give it a tap as they run past.

Weddle's jock > Kehl
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 05:44 PM   #27
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
I hear Eric Weddle's jock strap hangs at the end of the tunnel, and the players give it a tap as they run past.
I think you are confused. That was Weddle giving Curtis Brown's jock strap a tap at the bottom of the pile...after being owned by Harline all game.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:31 PM   #28
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
now saying Utah is a better team than BYU and will beat BYU.

LOL. However, I am sure someone would like to back up their statements and since talking about wagering is allowed here, I am open to anyone wanting to send me a proposal via messages.

No points straight up, money held by a neutral party.

Of course the last time I did this it was on Utefans with a Ute fan last year. He never paid up of course.
In the immortal words of Kipp Winger...."headin' for a hear-are-t-break!"

Every year Kyle gets Utenation convinced that all the woes are behind them. Then comes the letdown and stringpulling is a sight to behold. Jazzy will probably put 3 blogs in one day on his Non-BCS Bowl Subdivision blue ribbon winning blogsite. How do blogsites get categorized based upon BCS affiliation or not? Who evaluates these things?

Perhaps the Utes are fine, perhaps they are not. I think there are two one loss teams in the MWC, the team who gave both of them that one loss is still unbeaten. BYU is not playing real great, but BYU could still play poorly and beat every team in the MWC except Utah. I think they will have to play decent to beat Utah. I still think Utah will have a hell of a time beating UNM at home, but I think the Utes are developing more fortitude than they have had the past couple of years. Regardless, even with Utah improving I believe that when the dust settles of the season the reality will continue to indicate that Bronco is building a better "program" than Kyle. Except for the February Championship that Utenation bestows upon Kyle every year. But they can have that one.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:33 PM   #29
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post

Weddle's jock > Kehl
True, but Kehl's jock is > the sum of Utah's lbs on the 2007 Utah team.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:35 PM   #30
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
True, but Kehl's jock is > the sum of Utah's lbs on the 2007 Utah team.
Not according to topute, Kehl "may" start for Utah this year, but no other linebackers on BYUs roster do.