cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2008, 05:52 PM   #21
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
The silliest thing you have said above is that they would be 'annihilated'. If your efforts here on this board are any indication not only are 'we' not annihilated but rather we are thriving while you are struggling to keep up

"We've eliminated racism more completely than any nation on earth." You're kidding right? lol You've now lost ALL credibility.
Stop playing the bigot card. It's disgusting. Canadians are soft in the head.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 05:56 PM   #22
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Stop playing the bigot card. It's disgusting. Canadians are soft in the head.
That might hurt if I were Canadian ... Americans are ignorant bowhards. Seriously Seattle you need to get out more, experience more of the world.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 05:59 PM   #23
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
There's a marked difference between intolerance for language and the application of political correctness as opposed to legitimate opportunities afforded to all persons regardless of race.
This is incomprehensible.

—Paul Auster
Old 02-08-2008, 06:12 PM   #24
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
Brazil doesn't have the same racism because the races are split som evenly.

33% White
33% Black
33% Latino
And Shelby County, Tennessee probably splits 50/50 Black and White, yet the tension is obvious. What is it about Brazil that lessens that tension? I bet it has a lot to do with the attitudes of Whites.

SU said the U.S. is the best. I'm saying hopefully we're in the top twenty. Further, no one should deny or justify religious bigotry by saying things are going along swimingly on the racial front, because they aren't. Indeed, the racial context makes the religious bigotry more understandable.

U.S. anti-discrimination laws can't dictate attitudes, but they are there in hopes of changing them. There is a reason it is against the law to discriminate on the basis of religion, as well as race.

Obviously, the U.S. has a long ways to go.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.

Last edited by myboynoah; 02-08-2008 at 06:14 PM.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 06:21 PM   #25
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Obviously, the U.S. has a long ways to go.
Of course.

—Paul Auster
Old 02-08-2008, 06:46 PM   #26
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Hardly sixty years ago Europeans fought a war that spread across the world that was all about racial hatred, killing seventy million of one another. There's a theory out there (it may now be conventional wisdom) that Europe has had a lot more trouble with chronic internal Islamic militancy and violence (France a prime example) than America because America is more open, tolerant and assimilating than Europe. Europeans and immigarans I've talked to from Europe say they believe it. I've heard that if you go to a soccer game in Europe, shouted racial epithets, something that would not be tolerated here, are the norm.
There were two schools of thought among Blacks in the 60s. Thankfully non-violent resistance won the day. Martin Luther King was a great man. Sadly most Whites really don't know why and the impact he had on their future.

America mandates integration by law, France says all are equal, hence no need to mandate integration. I see flaws in both approaches. The American approach mitigates against real social integration because the mandates create a divide ("You must be lesser because I'm being forced to play with you."). The French approach inspires greater social interaction but doesn't address patterns of egregious discrimination.

I watched a BBC show with U.K. blacks that had gone to the U.S. and U.S. blacks that had gone to the U.K. Their love of their new countries mirrored each other, probably because the nature of racism differed between the two countries. History is full of American Blacks that made their fortunes in France because they were not afforded the same opportunities in the U.S. Finally, I had to suffer through a "testimony" one Sunday of a White Mormon married to a Black French Mormon who went on and on about the racism that existed in the U.S. and U.S Church. I often feared for the Black Saints that would visit the U.S. They had no context or understanding of the racial divide that exists.

Sure, we've managed to sanction those who might shout "N*&$@#" at a basketball game, but we haven't sufficiently addressed the reason they do it. Then we all laugh when Mormons are compared to Nazis. I guess that's progress.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote