cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2011, 03:23 PM   #191
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
Add me too.
Heh. I'll bet neither of you even bothered to read the link.

Here's something of similar sentiment, but that goes easier on your delicate sensibilities:

It looks like they may have gotten the "halve the deficit" part wrong. There's still time for Obama to punch a robot in the face, though.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 07-12-2011 at 03:38 PM.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:30 AM   #192
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Heh. I'll bet neither of you even bothered to read the link.

Here's something of similar sentiment, but that goes easier on your delicate sensibilities:

It looks like they may have gotten the "halve the deficit" part wrong. There's still time for Obama to punch a robot in the face, though.
No, I read the link. Then I gave you my conclusion. That you think the only trouble with your use of the quote is my "delicate sensibility" only reinforces that conclusion.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:40 PM   #193
Tex

Heh. This is Esquire, yesterday:

Quote:
[C]an we just enjoy Obama for a moment? Before the policy choices have to be weighed and the hard decisions have to be made, can we just take a month or two to contemplate him the way we might contemplate a painting by Vermeer or a guitar lick by the early-seventies Rolling Stones or a Peyton Manning pass or any other astounding, ecstatic human achievement? Because twenty years from now, we're going to look back on this time as a glorious idyll in American politics, with a confident, intelligent, fascinating president riding the surge of his prodigious talents from triumph to triumph.

Amazingly, Barack Obama fulfills the role of hero in each of these ancient story forms.

Barack Obama is developing into what Hegel called a "world-historical soul," an embodiment of the spirit of the times. He is what we hope we can be.

Obama's gift is the same as his curse: He's somehow managed to be like the rest of us, only infinitely more so.
Cue up Paul Shanklin.

Meanwhile this idiot is out there "not guaranteeing" Social Security checks in August. Maybe someone should re-do that obnoxious Paul Ryan ad, and change the Ryan look-a-like with a tall black man dumping a wheelchair-bound grandma off a cliff.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 07-13-2011, 03:48 PM   #194
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

What is the purpose of a President?

He often doesn't lead but seems to express the talking points of one Party's lead contributors.

So which contributors are providing Obama with his talking points. It is my impression that each president except he have a strong independent streak, which Obama obviously lacks, sells his soul to some within the party and guides his Presidency according to their dictates.

So who have receive Obama's blessings?

First, Hillary and ruin, I mean, change and socialize more America's health care delivery system. The Insurance industry will probably benefit from his machinations so I imagine he has good contributions from this industry.

Second, the banks by subsidizing them and by adopting the banking plan of allowing the subsidies to foreclose rather than to modify mortgages. So he's the banks bitch.

Third, the unions. He tends to do their bidding.

Fourth, the gay lobby. He seems mildly interested in this but is willing to throw them a bone or two.

Fifth, the liberal wing which is interested is "soaking" the rich. So he campaigns for more taxes and in stalling the wealthy so that more jobs aren't created. I believe he's of the opinion unemployment is due to Keynesian economics and that he desires for the opportunity for the inflation tax, which has not presented itself.

Those seem to be his guiding principles. Any others?
Old 07-14-2011, 03:39 AM   #195
Cali Coug

Quote:
Heh. This is Esquire, yesterday:

Cue up Paul Shanklin.

Meanwhile this idiot is out there "not guaranteeing" Social Security checks in August. Maybe someone should re-do that obnoxious Paul Ryan ad, and change the Ryan look-a-like with a tall black man dumping a wheelchair-bound grandma off a cliff.
You're just doubling down on racism today, aren't you? Note: These jokes that you and your very white friends tell each other at around your "campfire" at your "social gatherings" just don't play very well when you try them with a larger audience.

I always knew there was something wrong with you. Now I have a better idea of just what it is.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:13 PM   #196
Tex

The House passed its "Cut, Cap, and Balance" solution to the debt limit situation yesterday. Together with the Ryan plan, that means Republican attempts to solve our deficit problems comes to 2.

Meanwhile the Democrats haven't passed a budget in something like 800+ days, and Obama's 2012 budget proposal went down in flames, 97-0. Since then, all he's done is make speeches, issue a few veto threats, and sigh heavily in to the microphone.

The funniest talking point of the moment is that every single one of these Democrat senators voted against raising the limit in 2006, including Obama (who now says the vote was a mistake) and Reid (who says he's embarrassed). What an amazing "come to Jesus" moment. I'm sure it has nothing to do with politics, though. Obama says he wants to put politics aside for the good of the country.

By the way, I don't recall hearing the news media talk about how a failure to increase the limit would starve seniors and kill college education, but maybe my memory is hazy.

"But Tex, but Tex! Republicans voted to raise the limit in 2006, too! Isn't that hypocritical?!"

Two numbers for ya: 2010 and 87 (number of new House Rep freshmen).

As someone once said, the Tea Party is one of the best things to happen to Dem election fortunes.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 07-22-2011, 12:38 AM   #197
Cali Coug

Quote:
The House passed its "Cut, Cap, and Balance" solution to the debt limit situation yesterday. Together with the Ryan plan, that means Republican attempts to solve our deficit problems comes to 2.

Meanwhile the Democrats haven't passed a budget in something like 800+ days, and Obama's 2012 budget proposal went down in flames, 97-0. Since then, all he's done is make speeches, issue a few veto threats, and sigh heavily in to the microphone.

The funniest talking point of the moment is that every single one of these Democrat senators voted against raising the limit in 2006, including Obama (who now says the vote was a mistake) and Reid (who says he's embarrassed). What an amazing "come to Jesus" moment. I'm sure it has nothing to do with politics, though. Obama says he wants to put politics aside for the good of the country.

By the way, I don't recall hearing the news media talk about how a failure to increase the limit would starve seniors and kill college education, but maybe my memory is hazy.

"But Tex, but Tex! Republicans voted to raise the limit in 2006, too! Isn't that hypocritical?!"

Two numbers for ya: 2010 and 87 (number of new House Rep freshmen).

As someone once said, the Tea Party is one of the best things to happen to Dem election fortunes.
The racist returns, then spews nonsense unrelated to race (at least you aren't a one trick pony when it comes to spewing nonsense).

Do you honestly think "cut, cap and balance" is a "solution" to anything? Do you think it represents a real effort by Republicans to fix the nation's problem as opposed to obvious political pandering by a radicalized faction of your party which is dragging down your party (and potentially the entire economy with it)?

The Balanced Budget Amendment may be the dumbest idea yet from Republicans, and that's really saying something. Don't take it from me. Ask one of the economists who helped form the basis of Reagan's economic policies:

http://capitalgainsandgames.com/blog...dment-all-time

Is the debt ceiling vote political? You bet. Both parties are guilty as charged for demagoguing the issue. But neither party has actually taken the political "game" this far to the point of actually risking the credit of the US. It's dangerous and stupid. You know it too. So does just about everyone who isn't in the House Republican Caucus (including Senate Republicans).

As for the Tea Party, the Democrats did lose lots of seats in the 2010 midterms. That happens when the economy is poor. That's different than asking if the Tea Party helped or hurt election chances, though. I think it's pretty clear they hurt. Republicans would have at least two more Senate seats, if not more, but for the Tea Party, plus several more in the House. Here's a poll on Tea Party popularity:

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes...ews-tea-party/

That's from April- and it isn't getting any better. That's also why when you put Obama versus generic Republican, he struggles, but when you put him up against your Tea Party candidates, he wins easily. Keep with the Tea Party though by all means. You don't have to realize you are wrong to be wrong, and I frankly hope you guys never figure it out.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:03 PM   #198
Tex

Recent CNN poll of adults

Support Balanced-budge amendment: 74/24%
Think a BBA is necessary to get fed spending under control: 60/38%
Support for "Cut, Cap, and Balance": 66/33%
- Among Dems: 63/35%
- Among Inds: 65/34%

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 07-23-2011, 10:11 PM   #199
Cali Coug

Quote:
Recent CNN poll of adults

Support Balanced-budge amendment: 74/24%
Think a BBA is necessary to get fed spending under control: 60/38%
Support for "Cut, Cap, and Balance": 66/33%
- Among Dems: 63/35%
- Among Inds: 65/34%
Oh. Then it must be a good idea. I'll let the economists know.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:17 PM   #200
Tex

Stewart: "Did the President just quit?"

http://bcove.me/sbr2oicr

Call your congressman. LOL.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young