cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2007, 03:06 PM   #11
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's a cool article on John. Mind you, my Greek is in its infant stages, so I know nothing other than to read it, look it up and try to make sense out of it.

http://www1.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/TC-John-PA.pdf

"One of our Greek cantors was finally able to find this pericope on St. Pelagia on October 8."

Last edited by Archaea; 06-26-2007 at 03:16 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 03:21 PM   #12
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Here's a cool article on John. Mind you, my Greek is in its infant stages, so I know nothing other than to read it, look it up and try to make sense out of it.

http://www1.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/TC-John-PA.pdf

"One of our Greek cantors was finally able to find this pericope on St. Pelagia on October 8."
The woman taken in adultery pericope. Arch, if your interested in this pericope I saw an article in "New Testament Studies" that you may want to read:

Quote:
The Pericope of the Adulteress Reconsidered:
The Nomadic Misfortunes of a Bold Pericope

JOSEP RIUS-CAMPS
Església St Pere de Reixac, Ap. 41, E-08110 MONTCADA I REIXAC,
Barcelona, Spain

This article considers afresh the origin of the pericope of the adulteress, which is absent from some important manuscripts. Comparison of the witnesses to the text reveals that it has been preserved in two distinct forms, one (attested by Codex Bezae and the minuscules 2722 and 1071) that is Markan in style, and the other (attested by f 13) that reproduces the style of Luke. The conclusion drawn is that the account was first composed by Mark (and placed after Mark 12.12) and subsequently adopted by Luke (after Luke 20.19). Because of the apparent moral leniency displayed by Jesus, the story would have been removed at an early date from both Gospels, and then later reinserted by some manuscripts but at different places.
I haven't read it, but it is on my list. Let me know if you want it and I will hook you up with a pdf.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 03:24 PM   #13
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
Let me know
Sure, I'm not smart enough or skilled enough to make a final judgment, but it is fun to sit on the sidelines and watch the pros debate it.

Creekster might even read that one as he kinda believes it to be legit.

If you have any contrary stuff on the Lukan bleeding at every pore pericope as well, that would be interesting. The chiastic change is persuasive that it wasn't in the original, but who knows.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:31 PM   #14
pelagius

Quote:
Sure, I'm not smart enough or skilled enough to make a final judgment, but it is fun to sit on the sidelines and watch the pros debate it.
That's exactly what I do to.

I just emailed the article to you.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:43 PM   #15
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
That's exactly what I do to.

I just emailed the article to you.
I got it and am digesting it in between phone calls. It states that without the PA, the first and second attacks would illogically occur on the same day. So far it does not address the internal linguistic analysis.

They argue it was Markan originally, adapted by Luke and then removed by Church scribes due to the scrictness of the Church at the time. A fascinating debate.

Last edited by Archaea; 06-26-2007 at 03:45 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 03:50 PM   #16
pelagius

Quote:
They argue it was Markan originally, adapted by Luke and then removed by Church scribes due to the scrictness of the Church at the time. A fascinating debate.
The "moral leniency displayed by Jesus" argument is interesting. Makes you think the article is by the Jay Santos' Biblical studies twin.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:32 AM   #17
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I got it and am digesting it in between phone calls. It states that without the PA, the first and second attacks would illogically occur on the same day. So far it does not address the internal linguistic analysis.

Marcan not Markan get with the program.
ChinoCoug is offline   Reply With Quote