cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2007, 08:44 PM   #11
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

In a nutshell, the popular usage of the term "cult" has two main connotations

1. It renders a belief set as an illegitimate religion.
2. It involves a fair amount of coercion and brainwashing.

So when people call the LDS church a cult, they are saying they don't feel it is a religion because the beliefs have no legitimacy and the only way that anyone could actually believe that way is due to coercion and/or brainwashing.

I realize that if you look at the textbook definition of "cult" you can come away with a much less pejorative definition, but in practice that simply isn't the case.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:47 PM   #12
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post

So when people call the LDS church a cult, they are saying they don't feel it is a religion because the beliefs have no legitimacy and the only way that anyone could actually believe that way is due to coercion and/or brainwashing.

I realize that if you look at the textbook definition of "cult" you can come away with a much less pejorative definition, but in practice that simply isn't the case.

I think this is right. And it seems to be the marketing strategy of choice for any religion that is picking on any other religion with fewer numbers.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:48 PM   #13
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:

But do you not think that's primarily a matter of being on the outside looking in? That it would be easy to say the same of any of the religions to which one does not adhere?

Logically, if one chooses a religion, all the others are illegitimate.
And is there any belief system that does NOT involve indoctrination of some kind?
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:52 PM   #14
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
But do you not think that's primarily a matter of being on the outside looking in? That it would be easy to say the same of any of the religions to which one does not adhere?

And is there any belief system that does NOT involve indoctrination of some kind?
I can respect all sorts of other Christian and non-Christian faiths without resorting to calling them cults.

Just because I may disagree with their beliefs doesn't mean I have to conclude that their faith is a complete farce that preys upon people who, if they were in their right minds, would never be part of these faiths to begin with.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:56 PM   #15
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I don't think evangelicals look at Mormons the same way they look at, say, Catholics or Jews or other Christians that are not as fundamentalist. Mormons are a special category of cultishness for them, and they use that term to make us appear strange or illegitimate. At least that is my impression. Also, many evangelicals I've known personally have reworked their definition or impression of mormonism to something less negative after they actually got to know one.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:57 PM   #16
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I can respect all sorts of other Christian and non-Christian faiths without resorting to calling them cults.

Just because I may disagree with their beliefs doesn't mean I have to conclude that their faith is a complete farce that preys upon people who, if they were in their right minds, would never be part of these faiths to begin with.
To make claims like that about other beliefs is easy when your exposure to adherents of that belief has been very minimal. That's a big part of the problem and some just blindly take their preacher's word for it when it comes to Mormons.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:59 PM   #17
BarbaraGordon

Quote:

hmm. I must not be expressing myself well.

Here's my take.

All religions are cults. Period. If you don't like cults you'd be wise to exit the religion realm.

I'm not sure where the term farce came from, but I think that you are correct in that the word cult is clearly used pejoratively to illegitimize other belief systems. I don't personally use the term on a regular (or any) basis, but I also feel the term could be accurately employed to describe my or any other religious system, by those on the outside.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:02 PM   #18
Indy Coug

Quote:
All religions are cults. Period. If you don't like cults you'd be wise to exit the religion realm.
My point is simply that your definition above versus how it is more commonly used are very different and have very different connotations.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:03 PM   #19
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

The framework I posted the other day is trying to assess "dangerous" cults (and is thinking of "dangerous" in a particular way). You could easily apply its criteria to political cults (like to Italy's Red Brigades or to some of the Anarchist Green Groups).
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 09:07 PM   #20
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
My point is simply that your definition above versus how it is more commonly used are very different and have very different connotations.
But I was using your definition. illegitimacy + indoctrination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
The framework I posted the other day is trying to assess "dangerous" cults (and is thinking of "dangerous" in a particular way). You could easily apply its criteria to political cults (like to Italy's Red Brigades or to some of the Anarchist Green Groups).
could you link me the thread. I'd like to see it.