cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2007, 05:15 PM   #11
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Re: John Welch's article. I actually really enjoyed that article. It's not so much that I disagree with you--it does seem a little hyper-interpreted--but I think there is some value in such a thought experiment. It may or may not be exactly how Jesus intended it to be seen, but the parallels are thought provoking.
Actually, I agree with you Tex. Despite the fact that I think it is too allegorical in some sense of word, I still thought it was a good article. I also think that "thought provoking" in an of itself may be enough. I was trying to get at that a little bit in the notes when I said:
Quote:
Allegory. One question that quickly sprung to my mind as I read this parable and the parable of the talents is how much allegory was originally intended by Jesus when he told these parables. Is each element a metaphor or symbol? Only a few? Or is it one metaphor? Of course, ultimately it is probably impossible to tell with any degree of certainty. Also, maybe it doesn't matter. Maybe the the "best" interpretation is the one that spiritually strengthens or moves you the most.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 07:31 PM   #12
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I view that sort of article the same way I view Spencer Kimball's talk "My Friend Peter" years ago, where he hypothesized that the Lord's prophesy ("thou shalt deny me thrice") was actually a commandment. I'm not persuaded that Kimball actually believed that, but it was an interesting way to look at the scripture as a springboard to other thoughts.
I liked that talk. I also am not persuaded that SK meant for it to be anything more than thought provoking, but it was fun to contemplate.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 07:46 PM   #13
pelagius

Quote:
I view that sort of article the same way I view Spencer Kimball's talk "My Friend Peter" years ago, where he hypothesized that the Lord's prophesy ("thou shalt deny me thrice") was actually a commandment. I'm not persuaded that Kimball actually believed that, but it was an interesting way to look at the scripture as a springboard to other thoughts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
I liked that talk. I also am not persuaded that SK meant for it to be anything more than thought provoking, but it was fun to contemplate.
I believe both of you are actually referring to the following talk: Spencer W. Kimball, “Peter, My Brother,” BYU Speeches of the Year, July 13, 1971. Or are you guys referring to a different talk?

For those interested, you can actually find this talk in the appendix of New Testament institute manual: http://www.ldsces.org/inst_manuals/n...in-13.htm#13-d

You can also listen to it on mp3 here: http://speeches.byu.edu/?act=browse&...year=&x=7&y=10
Old 06-12-2007, 07:53 PM   #14
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
I believe both of you are actually referring to the following talk: Spencer W. Kimball, “Peter, My Brother,” BYU Speeches of the Year, July 13, 1971. Or are you guys referring to a different talk?

For those interested, you can actually find this talk in the appendix of New Testament institute manual: http://www.ldsces.org/inst_manuals/n...in-13.htm#13-d

You can also listen to it on mp3 here: http://speeches.byu.edu/?act=browse&...year=&x=7&y=10
That's the one. I tried to find it on my own, but couldn't. I bow to your superior Google skills.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 04:07 PM   #15
pelagius

Guys, I would Like to excerpt some of this discussion on my Sunday School blog. I think my class would find it useful. tooblue, Arch, Tex, and SteelBlue would you guys object to that?
Old 06-14-2007, 04:21 PM   #16
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Guys, I would Like to excerpt some of this discussion on my Sunday School blog. I think my class would find it useful. tooblue, Arch, Tex, and SteelBlue would you guys object to that?
I don't think I've seen the URL for your blog. Do you mind posting it?
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 04:26 PM   #17
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Post anything you like.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:28 PM   #18
pelagius

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballrollin
I don't think I've seen the URL for your blog. Do you mind posting it?
I actually link to it ever lesson, but I try not to make it too obvious because I don't want people to feel like I go around pimping it all the time. The lesson note archive link takes you to my Sunday School blog. It is really just my website for my gospel doctrine class members so it mostly just contains my lesson notes.

Quote:

Last edited by pelagius; 06-14-2007 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:26 PM   #19
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Gospel Doctrine was a works slugfest. We got the following doozies as comments or instruction.

1. The 5/10 virgins correlate to 50% activity in the church. Yet another opportunity for the class members to pat themselves on the back for their righteousness and worry about the salvation of all those that weren't in attendance.
2. Instructor said how it's such a danger in the church nowadays to say God loves us no matter what and his grace is always there. In fact he had once spent hours studying the scriptures to find where God loves us the same even when we sin and was unable to find anything.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 03:22 PM   #20
pelagius

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Gospel Doctrine was a works slugfest. We got the following doozies as comments or instruction.

1. The 5/10 virgins correlate to 50% activity in the church. Yet another opportunity for the class members to pat themselves on the back for their righteousness and worry about the salvation of all those that weren't in attendance.
Does anyone know were this idea comes from. I mean it is a fairly natural step if your interpretation of the parable is highly allegorical, but have we seen semi-authoritative sources that have advanced this idea or is it exclusively at the folk level. And by the way I don't think you can blame BRM for this one:

Quote:
What portion of the Church shall be saved? Surely this parable is not intended to divide half the saints into one group and half into another. But it does teach, pointedly and plainly, that there are foolish saints who shall fail to gain the promised rewards. --Bruce R. McConkie, DNTC 1:685