cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2007, 06:30 PM   #11
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
You basically blamed the two losses on Harline's laziness. Isn't that worth addressing?
WHAT?????? The two losses were because our special teams repeatedly failed to execute FG snaps and kicks.

I have NEVER directly or indirectly blamed Harline for those two losses.

Saying that Harline was more productive during the end of the season than the beginning of the season because he was about the only offensive starter that didn't work out with the team during the summer DOES NOT EQUATE to blaming him for the two losses. If you think that's what I've tried to say, it's just another indictment of your fevered, paranoid mind.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 07:10 PM   #12
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Ripping a hero? Nice melodrama.
I have to say Indy that it came off that way to me. In this thread you've alleged that he didn't come to fall camp ready to play. You've also questioned his work ethic in the cougarboard thread. Unless I've really misunderstood you here, you seem to be saying that his poor performance at the combine is a result of said poor work ethic. Unless you have absolute knowledge of Harline's work ethic (which I've personally never heard questioned before today) then it's easy to see how such speculation could be perceived as "ripping".
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 07:22 PM   #13
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
I have to say Indy that it came off that way to me. In this thread you've alleged that he didn't come to fall camp ready to play. You've also questioned his work ethic in the cougarboard thread. Unless I've really misunderstood you here, you seem to be saying that his poor performance at the combine is a result of said poor work ethic. Unless you have absolute knowledge of Harline's work ethic (which I've personally never heard questioned before today) then it's easy to see how such speculation could be perceived as "ripping".
Well, in the absence of giving you the names of the several sources that have told me about Harline's off-season work ethic, I tried to illustrate the point with his game stats.

The problem with the Jay Santos School of Critical Thinking is that somehow mentioning a shortcoming of a player is

1. The product of the Wendell Beck PR machine
2. Blaming them for BYU losses

Coming back to the original point made in the originating CB thread...

1. Harline's NFL Combine performance was poor
2. Harline's bench press was especially bad

There is good reason to believe that Harline could have and should have done better than that. Given that his past offseason work habits have been called into question, there is good reason to believe that was a non-trivial factor in his Combine performance. It's certainly going to be a concern amongst NFL scouts.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 08:25 PM   #14
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

There is good reason to believe that Harline could have and should have done better than that. Given that his past offseason work habits have been called into question, there is good reason to believe that was a non-trivial factor in his Combine performance. It's certainly going to be a concern amongst NFL scouts.
I don't think Indy's out in left field on this. I remember during the summer there being discussion about Harline being either the only or one of the only players not to be on campus for summer workouts (or something like that). And it wasn't until after the first couple of games that he stopped dropping balls - I thought he was very inconsistent in the Arizona game.

I don't know his work habits, but he seems to me like a guy who's extremely talented and relies mainly on his talent rather than his work ethic to succeed.

And I thought his combine performance was surprisingly bad - primarily because I think he's a great player.

I would not be surprised at this point, though, if Coats is drafted ahead of Harline. Even before the combine, the scouts seemed to rank them pretty similarly.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 11:08 PM   #15
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Fair enough. I agree that it appears he should have done better than he did at the combine. I guess only John knows if he could have done better.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 11:23 PM   #16
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, I noticed you guys haven't been talking about my football career and my penchant for being a gameday kind of guy.

Please get back on topic.

Or at least talk about how Johnny's mom was a hottie when she was my teacher.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 01:35 AM   #17
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Hey, I noticed you guys haven't been talking about my football career and my penchant for being a gameday kind of guy.

Please get back on topic.

Or at least talk about how Johnny's mom was a hottie when she was my teacher.
I always loved to play whether it was practice, game, big game, whatever. I seemed to have an easier time 'kicking it up a notch' when I played baskebtall compared to when I played football. With football it was all out always. Some of my best hits were in practice... I still remember knocking the piss out of one of our linemen when we were practicing punt return. After he finally got up I remember him saying "dammit sarge, that was the hardest I've ever been hit" and I just bust up laughing.

Man, I miss that game...
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote