cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2007, 01:05 AM   #11
Hazzard

Hazzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
This is a little bit out there, but maybe this is one of the many reasons:

I played a lot of basketball at BYU (I mean virtually 6 days a week year round). I used to work at the Marriott Center from 1991 to 1993 as a custodian while finishing up my degree in clay animation. One of the few job "perks" was being able to play basketball on the MC floor after hours.

What I quickly found out is that everything I shot was short. Why? Because of the vast expanse of the Marriott Center, the "backdrop" of the seats behind the basket made the basket appear to be closer than it really was. Over time, I adjusted to the change in depth perception and was able to shoot accurately.

Could it be that one of the factors could be the affect on shooting due to the visiting team not adjusting to the change in depth perception?

I also think things like crowd support, conscious/unconscious differences in the treatment of the home team by officials, etc. come into play too.
I think the depth perception and other surroundings in basketball is a large factor. Floor surface, lighting, the flexibility of the rim, even the shape and consistency of the nets play a part in affecting the game. I am reminded of the Celtics/Lakers rivalry in the 80's. The Lakers wanted to run, while the Celts wanted a slower pace. Therefore, the Celtics turned up the heat in the Garden (to tire out the Lakers), used a ball with less air (to keep Magic from pushing it quite as quickly and to get a better roll for the Celtics shooters), and used firmer nets that made it more difficult for the Lakers to get the ball out of the hoop and get into transition after made baskets.

Also, basketball is a more fluid game than baseball and football, which means the momentum swings are usually greater. In baseball and football, each play begins and ends at a standstill. There is time to think, relax and collect your thoughts in between plays. In basketball, if the home team gets hot and gets a couple of stops and the home crowd surges in support, it can feel overwhelming and oppressive to the visiting team. The only reprieve is a foul or a timeout.
Hazzard is offline   Reply With Quote