cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2006, 08:38 PM   #11
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Well, call me old-fashioned, but I think there is something virtuous about casting a vote and participating in the democratic process. If nothing else, it is a nod to our forefathers and to veterans for the price paid to set up and maintain a process that is such a tremendous blessing in our lives.

Furthermore, the "my vote won't count" argument is a fallacy to me. On a statistical basis, there probably has never been a major race decided by one vote. Thus, each and every one of us could argue from a probabilistic viewpoint that our vote ultimately "doesn't matter". And yet, as a whole, the votes matter tremendously.

Let me put it in more human terms: Curt Bramble is the local state rep in my area. There are few politicians I despise more than him. Each morning my wife and I jog past his house. As I jog by, I enjoy thinking that even though my vote was futile, I was able to give him the finger (so to speak) by voting against him.
I guess I'm just not one for symbolic gestures. That's probably why I don't stand at attention or remove my hat for the National Anthem (I'm sorry, I just put that in to piss off Rocky ). With regards to Curt Bramble, I think you'll find that a few eggs to the side of his house will give you much more visceral satisfaction than merely voting against him.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 08:42 PM   #12
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
With regards to Curt Bramble, I think you'll find that a few eggs to the side of his house will give you much more visceral satisfaction than merely voting against him.
Hmmm.... Excellent suggestion. Perhaps I'll do both!
Old 11-07-2006, 08:43 PM   #13
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
I guess I'm just not one for symbolic gestures. That's probably why I don't stand at attention or remove my hat for the National Anthem (I'm sorry, I just put that in to piss off Rocky ). With regards to Curt Bramble, I think you'll find that a few eggs to the side of his house will give you much more visceral satisfaction than merely voting against him.
lol...Nah NS...you're a good egg. We've met and you're very amiable, and I couldn't see myself getting pissed off with you.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:52 PM   #14
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
lol...Nah NS...you're a good egg. We've met and you're very amiable, and I couldn't see myself getting pissed off with you.
I knew you'd take it in the spirit in which it was intended, otherwise I wouldn't have said it. I just like to mess with people.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 10:33 PM   #15
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

The reason I don't vote:

I do not feel any of the available candidates are worth my vote. My vote is available to the candidate that earns it.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:48 PM   #16
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
The reason I don't vote:

I do not feel any of the available candidates are worth my vote. My vote is available to the candidate that earns it.
Hmmmm.... Could this same type of attitude at least partially explain your continued bachelor status?
Old 11-07-2006, 11:31 PM   #17
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Well, call me old-fashioned, but I think there is something virtuous about casting a vote and participating in the democratic process. If nothing else, it is a nod to our forefathers and to veterans for the price paid to set up and maintain a process that is such a tremendous blessing in our lives.

Furthermore, the "my vote won't count" argument is a fallacy to me. On a statistical basis, there probably has never been a major race decided by one vote. Thus, each and every one of us could argue from a probabilistic viewpoint that our vote ultimately "doesn't matter". And yet, as a whole, the votes matter tremendously.

Let me put it in more human terms: Curt Bramble is the local state rep in my area. There are few politicians I despise more than him. Each morning my wife and I jog past his house. As I jog by, I enjoy thinking that even though my vote was futile, I was able to give him the finger (so to speak) by voting against him.

I agree completely. I think we have a duty to vote. It is one of the greatest institutions the world has known- giving the people the right to direct their representation.

I also think the "my vote doesn't count" logic falls apart at the seams. First of all, only 35% of Americans vote regularly. What if a handful more took the opinion that their vote didn't matter and they backed out? What if some on top of that number backed out? You could play the game all the way down to only having 1 person vote (at which point, people would think- hey, my vote is really important! I should vote!). So then you start going back up again with people voting more. Point being, your vote counts the same at every stage of the process (no matter how many are voting). The only thing changing is your perception of the value of your vote.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 11:35 PM   #18
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Hmmmm.... Could this same type of attitude at least partially explain your continued bachelor status?
So do a write in, or (gasp!) VOTE IN THE PRIMARIES!!!!!

If I could get Americans off their butts to go and vote, I wouldn't do it for the general election. I would do it for the primaries. THAT is where the political process has been falling apart of late (and it is a PERFECT example of why more participation is needed as opposed to less). With less participation, you get extremists imposing their will on the nation (leading to more voter apathy, leading to more extreme candidates, etc. etc.).

Vote in the primaries and tell us who should be on the final ballot. If everyone were to do that, the quality of representation would skyrocket.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 11:37 PM   #19
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyacoug View Post
I agree completely. I think we have a duty to vote. It is one of the greatest institutions the world has known- giving the people the right to direct their representation.

I also think the "my vote doesn't count" logic falls apart at the seams. First of all, only 35% of Americans vote regularly. What if a handful more took the opinion that their vote didn't matter and they backed out? What if some on top of that number backed out? You could play the game all the way down to only having 1 person vote (at which point, people would think- hey, my vote is really important! I should vote!). So then you start going back up again with people voting more. Point being, your vote counts the same at every stage of the process (no matter how many are voting). The only thing changing is your perception of the value of your vote.
I'm just more pragmatic. If I don't vote, which I have since at least 1978, I won't inform myself. So as a motivation to become at least marginally informed, I vote. Whether my vote counts on the global scale is unimportant to me, but it counts to me, so that I get out of the process what I can. You get out of it, what you put into it, even if it is very frustrating and at times appears to be very unprofitable.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:41 PM   #20
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Sounds about right.