cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2006, 11:14 PM   #11
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue
Wow. I knew ABBA did well here, but I had no idea they did THAT well!
O, sorry, That was worldwide ( I think). Still pretty huge.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:21 PM   #12
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Dang, you busted me Creekster. I edited my post when I realized that 350 million was impossible in the US. I didn't edit fast enough though.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 11:26 PM   #13
creekster

Not sure. I looked a little on google and wikipedia but the numerbs are inconsitent. After further consideration, I am still reasonably comforntable that they sold more than the hurricane rocking Skorpions. I cannot, however, prove it.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:53 PM   #14
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster
Not sure. I looked a little on google and wikipedia but the numerbs are inconsitent. After further consideration, I am still reasonably comforntable that they sold more than the hurricane rocking Skorpions. I cannot, however, prove it.
ABBA is commonly mentioned in the 350 million range while the highest range I could find for the Scorpions was 80 million. Also, it is definitely Scorpions with a 'c' and not with a 'k' (at least their albums marketed in the U.S. are spelled with a 'c' - I'll never forget buying that "Love at First Sting" album).

So, although I prefer the Scorpions over ABBA, I concede that ABBA is the better selling band. One Scorpions advantage: the members of the band have changed a bit but they're still currently recording and touring -- so if they can just keep going for another 130 years they can catch up to ABBA!
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 11:58 PM   #15
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie
ABBA is commonly mentioned in the 350 million range while the highest range I could find for the Scorpions was 80 million. Also, it is definitely Scorpions with a 'c' and not with a 'k' (at least their albums marketed in the U.S. are spelled with a 'c' - I'll never forget buying that "Love at First Sting" album).

So, although I prefer the Scorpions over ABBA, I concede that ABBA is the better selling band. One Scorpions advantage: the members of the band have changed a bit but they're still currently recording and touring -- so if they can just keep going for another 130 years they can catch up to ABBA!
This is embarrassing to admit, but as I have gotten older ABBA has sounded better. Not great, but better. When I was a teen, and ABBA was making new music, I hated them and would not listen to their songs unless I was with a date that I liked and she insisted. GIven my dating frequqnecy this means I rarely, if ever, heard their music. As an old(er) fart, however, I find some of their stuff OK. SCorpion with a c; got it.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:00 AM   #16
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:

Or you could just buy 271 million copies of Rock Me Like Hurricane and they could catch up to them now.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 12:27 AM   #17
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk
Or you could just buy 271 million copies of Rock Me Like Hurricane and they could catch up to them now.
Sad day: When I got home from my mission, someone had thrown away all of my vinyl (I'm showing my age here) albums. Led Zeppelin, The Who, Scorpions, AC/DC, Bob Seeger - everything was gone. I think my Mom did it although she denies it - she always hated the music I listened to. The only thing that remained was a Simon and Garfunkel's Greatest Hits (I think my Dad probably stepped in to save S&G - he used to like to listen to it sometimes) I never did rebuild my music collection after that and haven't been into music much since then.

Perhaps it's time to rebuild the collection again - like a phoenix rising from the ashes. I'll start off with "Love at First Sting". 1 down, 270 million to go.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 12:54 AM   #18
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Alphaville is my favorite band not from The US or England. And I am one of the lucky few who have seen them live in one of their two appearances in North America - both in Salt Lake City.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 12:57 AM   #19
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
One Scorpions advantage: the members of the band have changed a bit but they're still currently recording and touring
I believe ABBA toured but once or twice in their careers. They preferred studio work.

I like ABBA. Lots and lots of great songs.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 01:21 AM   #20
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Too bad Falco died. His music was very quirky but it was cool.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote