cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2006, 12:30 AM   #11
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
Plenty of Muslims distance themselves from the terrorists.

1) the media doesn't cover it, because it isn't news
2) you aren't paying attention, because if you wanted to know what they were saying, you would look for it.
3) sometimes peoples believe what they want to believe.

Start by checking out the Muslim-American associations.
Unfortunately, many of the Muslim-American associations are simply front groups or fundraising groups for terrorist organizations. For Exhibit A, I give you:

Council on American Muslim Relations
American Muslim Federation
American Muslim Council

All of these groups have leadership that has either refused to denounce terrorism or has funding or other ties to terrorism. CAIR is the most well-known Muslim-American association. It's also the most famous for its ties to terrorist organizations and refusal to denounce terrorism:

From a Washington Times article:
"When asked by The Washington Post in November 2001 if he would condemn Hamas and Islamic Jihad, Mr. Hooper [(the spokesman for CAIR)] responded, "It's not our job to go around denouncing." Asked by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette in February 2002 to condemn Hamas and Hezbollah, Mr. Hooper called such questions a "game" and explained, "We're not in the business of condemning."

CAIR is also famous (infamous) for the "photoshopped hijab" episode: http://jihadwatch.org/archives/008110.php

Just like with muslim individuals, not ALL Muslim-American associations refuse to denounce terrorism or have ties to terrorist organizations; unfortunately, you have to search pretty hard to find these associations. Even more unfortunately, their voices are drowned out by the deafening silence from the majority of Muslim-American associations when it comes to denouncing terrorism...
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 12:45 AM   #12
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Too funny...

Just as I was posting my takedown of CAIR, Mike was posting their belying statements about 9/11. The "Criticism of CAIR" section on CAIR's wikipedia page is rather informative.

CAIR is a classic example of "do what I say, not what I do". Their organization is ostensibly denouncing terrorism while members of their organization are busy contributing to, associating with, or otherwise supporting terrorism.

No offense Mike, but CAIR is a bad example. Muslim-American groups that denounce terror do exist. Unfortunately CAIR isn't one of them -- CAIR's actions speak so loud that I simply can't hear their words.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 12:47 AM   #13
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Plenty of Muslims distance themselves from the terrorists.

1) the media doesn't cover it, because it isn't news
2) you aren't paying attention, because if you wanted to know what they were saying, you would look for it.
3) sometimes peoples believe what they want to believe.

Start by checking out the Muslim-American associations.
1) How convenient.
2) I must have missed all of the demostrations, speeches and marches around the world and in the U.S. by muslims denouncing the terrorists. The ones where the protest the U.S. government leap easily enough to mind, however. Lets not BS one another that the few muslims who distance themselves (of course there are some) are anything other than a TINY minority.
3) That much we can agree on.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:31 AM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Where are the Mormons standing up to Warren Jeffs and denouncing him? I gather from the deafening silence and the lack of marches that all but a tiny majority of Mormons support him. Let's not kid ourselves.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 02:33 AM   #15
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie
Too funny...

Just as I was posting my takedown of CAIR, Mike was posting their belying statements about 9/11. The "Criticism of CAIR" section on CAIR's wikipedia page is rather informative.

CAIR is a classic example of "do what I say, not what I do". Their organization is ostensibly denouncing terrorism while members of their organization are busy contributing to, associating with, or otherwise supporting terrorism.

No offense Mike, but CAIR is a bad example. Muslim-American groups that denounce terror do exist. Unfortunately CAIR isn't one of them -- CAIR's actions speak so loud that I simply can't hear their words.
CAIR and many of these other Muslim American organizations are part of the problem. They are classic "we denounce terrorism, BUT... America this or Israel that". At worst they're terrorist fronts, and at best they're classic "grievance" pressure groups ala NAACP. Just a couple of years ago in California Ibrahim Hooper of CAIR talked about wanting Sharia law as the law of the land in the U.S. Many of these clowns may not support the tactics of the terrorists, but in many cases they support the goals. I for one want him and people like him the hell out of this country.

Obligatory disclaimer: I'm talking about these organizations, and not necessarily all of the members of these organizations or the Muslim U.S. population in general. But if they feel this way, I don't want them here. And I support a moratorium on middle east immigration (unless they're Christians or Jews) just to be safe. The last thing we need is a 5-10% Muslim population in this country - let's ask Europe how that's working out for them.

Maybe some of you are horrified by my views. I don't give a shit.

http://www.danielpipes.org
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 02:40 AM   #16
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Where are the Mormons standing up to Warren Jeffs and denouncing him? I gather from the deafening silence and the lack of marches that all but a tiny majority of Mormons support him. Let's not kid ourselves.
You will never see me stand up for Warren Jeffs. The guy is a sicko and needs to be taken out. But get some perspective, please.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 02:47 AM   #17
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

My point is how can you judge an entire group of people on only news accounts and websites?

I could name 50 issues where the phrase "the silence is deafening" could apply.

I mean, what if someone wants to call Mormons racists? ETB saying the civil rights movement is evil. Denying blacks the priesthood. GBH recently calling out racism in the church. I've never seen one news release, not one protest, not a single march, etc. Should I then say that Mormons are racist?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 02:50 AM   #18
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
My point is how can you judge an entire group of people on only news accounts and websites?

I mean, what if someone wants to call Mormons racists? ETB saying the civil rights movement is evil. Denying blacks the priesthood. GBH recently calling out racism in the church. I've never seen one news release, not one protest, not a single march, etc. Should I then say that Mormons are racist?
I guess you are going to think what you want to think regardless, and the same can be said for those who view Muslims as either actively or passively supporting terrorism.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 02:53 AM   #19
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

Quote:

If the membership as a whole consistantly practices racism or sympathizes with racists, then perhaps.

Last edited by realtall; 07-22-2006 at 03:20 AM.
realtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 04:00 AM   #20
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If LDS were by and large openly critical of the governments efforts to bring Jeffs to justice and spent most of their time criticizing the techniques the government used then this would be a good analogy. If that were hapenning people would rightly wonder whether LDS as a group weren't sympathetic to Jeffs.