cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2008, 04:58 PM   #11
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
You've plagiarized your post. I may have to suspend you in the future if you continue to post copyrighted material as if it is your own words. We all know that you aren't that smart and literate, so you can't fake it.
exUte, Waters doesn't really mean this. I appreciate it when you post copyrighted material. It saves me the time of going to another site. Please continue.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 05:02 PM   #12
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Best solution.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
exUte, Waters doesn't really mean this. I appreciate it when you post copyrighted material. It saves me the time of going to another site. Please continue.
I'll copy and paste and you can insert quotation marks where you wish. It's called empowerment.

Good idea?

BTW.........any comments on the actual facts of the original post. Or still looking at the rings in the tree?
Old 09-18-2008, 05:12 PM   #13
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
My mom bought the red ones. World Bbook somethign or another. I was excited about it until I realized just how boring they were. I remember announcing at the beginning that I was going to read the entire encylopedia. I recevied much congratulations from my adoring family. The rality was not nearly as enjoyable. I don't think I made it past "Aardvark" before the siren call of Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd and their always intrigunig and never-ending confrontation overwhlemed me.
Off topic, but if you want to read a good book about a guy who read the whole encyclopedia (Britannica), try out "The Know it All" by AJ Jacobs. He also wrote a good one about living the Bible literally for a year.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 05:16 PM   #14
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
I'll copy and paste and you can insert quotation marks where you wish. It's called empowerment.

Good idea?
Great idea!
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 05:23 PM   #15
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
My mom bought the red ones. World Bbook somethign or another. I was excited about it until I realized just how boring they were. I remember announcing at the beginning that I was going to read the entire encylopedia. I recevied much congratulations from my adoring family. The rality was not nearly as enjoyable. I don't think I made it past "Aardvark" before the siren call of Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd and their always intrigunig and never-ending confrontation overwhlemed me.

I'm happy you bailed at "Aardvark," otherwise I'd think you were like Mark Pluff, a kid in 7th grade who announced to our English class that he was going to read the dictionary over Christmas vacation, a weird promise he actually made good on, resulting in his sporting a perma-wedgie through the remainder of the year.

And what happened to the practice of grocery stores in the '60s selling encyclopedias and other book series, with a new volume offered each week? Mom also bought much of our fine china there as well ("This week: gravy boats!"). Our drinking glasses ("The NFL Collection"), on the other hand, came from purchasing full tanks of gas at a station on Castro Valley Boulevard.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 05:28 PM   #16
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
That's funny, and it reminds me of my grade school days of writing reports by dumbing down the text of Golden Book Encyclopedias (the ones Mom bought at the grocery store). I got really good at masking, a lesson exie apparently learned.
That brings back memories. I chuckle to think of those grade school teachers seeing all of that plagiarized materials in essays from grade-school kids. One thing we learned, however, is that you could put down almost anything and get full credit. They just didn't bother to read most of them.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:39 PM   #17
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
Talk about getting your panties in a wad. You and MW are missing the entire story here because of ONE quotation mark.

I've heard of people not being able to see for the forest for the trees. But not being able to see the tree for the rings in the tree. I like that one.
OK, back on point, sort of…

Exie, in a sense, you're right, as I rarely consider the substance of your posts. This is due to your smug, humorless and self-satisfied message board persona that makes your offerings consistently repugnant. And yes, "smug" and "self-satisfied" can be applied to me and others here (and often are), too. The difference is that we welcome the criticism and enjoy the banter. You're the cranky, mirthless old man on the porch yelling worthless epithets at the kids playing out front.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 05:41 PM   #18
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
You've plagiarized your post. I may have to suspend you in the future if you continue to post copyrighted material as if it is your own words. We all know that you aren't that smart and literate, so you can't fake it.
I don't know. The writer doesn't seem to know what sanguine means.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:14 PM   #19
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default I enjoy the banter as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
OK, back on point, sort of…

Exie, in a sense, you're right, as I rarely consider the substance of your posts. This is due to your smug, humorless and self-satisfied message board persona that makes your offerings consistently repugnant. And yes, "smug" and "self-satisfied" can be applied to me and others here (and often are), too. The difference is that we welcome the criticism and enjoy the banter. You're the cranky, mirthless old man on the porch yelling worthless epithets at the kids playing out front.
As Nicholson said, "you can't handle the truth".

I find some behavior dispicable though.......especially coming from the owner of the board. Like calling people racist, posting people's identity.

PAC, re: old and cranky..........thanks pot. Being called old by someone much older is comedic.

LOL
Old 09-18-2008, 06:16 PM   #20
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I don't know. The writer doesn't seem to know what sanguine means.
Mike was speaking in a relative sense. I.e., smart and literate compared to exie. Admittedly, it's not a high threshold. I have some hammers in my garage that might qualify.