cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2008, 03:04 PM   #11
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Only reason he has stumbled is that he

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
McCain is going to struggle with foreign policy. First of all, he is on the wrong side of public opinion on the war. He has stumbled several times in describing the relationship between al-Qaeda, Iran, Iraq, the Sunnis and the Shiites. His quotes on Iraq as of 3 years ago were very different than today, which undermines his message of consistency. He has been a hawk with Russia and Iran at a time when Americans overwhelmingly are looking for less hostile foreign relations. His "100 year" quote certainly won't go over well either, and the DCCC is already running an ad featuring McCain's quote. He is opposed to torture which doesn't help him with his base. I don't think the Dems will need much luck with that one.
actually names the parties involved in Iraq. Have you ever heard Obama mention the Shiites and Sunni's and had a f/u question?

Not any worse than the mainstream media or local government officials getting the FLDS and the LDS mixed up or lumped in the same group.
exUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:07 PM   #12
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
McCain is having enough trouble keeping his facts straight when he isn't being attacked. Fortunately for him, he has had Lieberman next to him to help him out in the past. Short of Lieberman holding his hand during a debate, I don't think Dems have much to worry about from McCain on foreign policy.

You may agree with his views, but that doesn't mean he is good at articulating them. I wonder how Mitt Romney feels about McCain's quotes above.
I think McCain's attacks on Romney's "timetable" comments were despicable. Just like Obama's distortion of McCain's "100 years" comment. Just like you're doing now.

It's politics. So be it. Obama can't hold a candle to McCain on foreign policy. If they're smart, they won't think like you do and they'll attack him where he's weaker.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:15 PM   #13
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I think McCain's attacks on Romney's "timetable" comments were despicable. Just like Obama's distortion of McCain's "100 years" comment. Just like you're doing now.

It's politics. So be it. Obama can't hold a candle to McCain on foreign policy. If they're smart, they won't think like you do and they'll attack him where he's weaker.
He's weak all over the place. The economy? McCain admittedly knows nothing about it. Foreign policy? He can't get very fundamental facts straight without correction from others (and even then says it wrong again a few days later). Health care? Still waiting for the details on that great plan.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:28 PM   #14
Tex

Quote:
He's weak all over the place. The economy? McCain admittedly knows nothing about it. Foreign policy? He can't get very fundamental facts straight without correction from others (and even then says it wrong again a few days later). Health care? Still waiting for the details on that great plan.
McCain's no perfect candidate (remember, I don't like him). But your foreign policy dance is just amusing.

I hope Obama takes your advice. It'd be fun to see him eaten alive, that is assuming there's any leftovers once Wright is done.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 04-29-2008, 03:31 PM   #15
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
McCain's no perfect candidate (remember, I don't like him). But your foreign policy dance is just amusing.

I hope Obama takes your advice. It'd be fun to see him eaten alive, that is assuming there's any leftovers once Wright is done.
I hope so too. Obama absolutely must engage McCain on foreign policy. I am honestly shocked that you think it is a topic he should avoid, particularly given the national climate on the issue. Let's see: most Americans favor withdrawing from Iraq, Obama favors withdrawing from Iraq, McCain does not (now). I can see why you hope Obama avoids that debate.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:35 PM   #16
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I hope so too. Obama absolutely must engage McCain on foreign policy. I am honestly shocked that you think it is a topic he should avoid, particularly given the national climate on the issue. Let's see: most Americans favor withdrawing from Iraq, Obama favors withdrawing from Iraq, McCain does not (now). I can see why you hope Obama avoids that debate.
I believe Obama is a better debater, but Dems usually suck on foreign policy. With that said, his policy of isolationism is popular now, so it may resonate.

The both of you should get a room.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:38 PM   #17
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I believe Obama is a better debater, but Dems usually suck on foreign policy. With that said, his policy of isolationism is popular now, so it may resonate.

The both of you should get a room.
In other words, you agree with me. Lots of hyperbole and name calling just to arrive at that conclusion, Arch.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:39 PM   #18
Tex

Quote:
I'm shocked! Shocked, I tell you!

The war is unpopular, no question. Most people do not favor Obama's Surrender First approach. Let him try and sell that, I'd love to see it.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 04-29-2008, 03:41 PM   #19
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
In other words, you agree with me. Lots of hyperbole and name calling just to arrive at that conclusion, Arch.
Actually I don't know who wins. Traditionally Dems are dummies on what actually makes good foreign policy.

However, what actually makes for a good debate is different than what makes for a good policy.

However, I find it hilarious you both just illustrated my point.

Tex: Reps rock on foreign policy and will kick ass.

Cali: You're so dumb, Dems rock on foreign policy and will kick ass.

Me: I don't really know. Generally, Obama speaks better and his isolationism, though a faulty policy in general, may sell in the short term, so it may win the debating day.

How is that agreeing with you?
Old 04-29-2008, 03:45 PM   #20
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Me: I don't really know. Generally, Obama speaks better and his isolationism, though a faulty policy in general, may sell in the short term, so it may win the debating day.
It's so reassuring to know you're the calm, rationale, non-bombastic, non-hyberbolic on Cougarguard, Arch. You're really too good for us here, aren't you.

Maybe you should just let Cali and I duke it out, and you can get back to publishing that special version of the Bible you were working on, eh?

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young