cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2008, 03:27 PM   #11
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
I agree with you that Obama is the virtually the presumptive nominee. However, I disagree that in the unlikely event that Clinton gets the nomination by taking it to the convention that it would be a disaster. Or that she can't raise any more money.
She can raise money, or rather Bill raises it for her. And she is a bulldog, but you are underestimating the resentment building on both sides by the prolonged trench warfare. If McCain wins, who doesn't strike fear into the hearts of anybody and he's not hated, the sideliners will be the reason the Dems lose it.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:28 PM   #12
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

It will be interesting to see if more overt racism is deployed against Obama. There are plenty of white people who, if you ask them to name racists, list a bunch of black people. They do this, apparently, without noticing the irony of their own actions. With the whirlwind of the election, such persons may not be able to help themselves.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:29 PM   #13
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I've long been of the opinion that Clinton is easier to beat, mostly because of her high negatives (and not just among Republicans). But Obama is proving to be as inexperienced and elitist as his minimal record suggests, and that bodes well.

A lot of "who is more electable" turns on issues. If national security proves to be a significant issue (and I think it will), Obama is definitely the weaker candidate.
Nah. The economy is clearly the biggest issue right now, and McCain, by his own admission (on multiple occasions), knows nothing about the economy and has no actual plan for the economy. He will get creamed on the issue. On national security, you will see Obama select someone that has credentials in that area. My money is on Jim Webb.

Nice use of the Republican talking points, though.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:31 PM   #14
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
I agree with you that Obama is the virtually the presumptive nominee. However, I disagree that in the unlikely event that Clinton gets the nomination by taking it to the convention that it would be a disaster. Or that she can't raise any more money.
How do you envision Clinton becoming the nominee without destroying the party? And if she can raise lots of money, where will it come from?
Old 04-23-2008, 03:34 PM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I would like to see Hillary and McCain in the octagon. That would be good.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:36 PM   #16
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Nah. The economy is clearly the biggest issue right now, and McCain, by his own admission (on multiple occasions), knows nothing about the economy and has no actual plan for the economy. He will get creamed on the issue. On national security, you will see Obama select someone that has credentials in that area. My money is on Jim Webb.

Economy may be an issue too, given the slow down, but I don't think Obama's credentials are that impressive there, either. And VP candidates don't really matter.

Maybe you could save us the time of reading your posts, and just link directly to Obama press releases.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 04-23-2008 at 03:40 PM.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:39 PM   #17
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I agree McCain is weaker on the economy than I would like, which is why we might be surprised and see Romney get the V.P. nomination to bolster his economic credentials and maybe actually create a plan, but I disagree Obama is strong.

Let's see, raise taxes, regulate, create new bureaucracies in health care and other industries, and general strangle the economy through micromanagement. That sounds like a great plan.

Both of them are lost. Obama speaks better but he still doesn't have a clue.

Last edited by Archaea; 04-23-2008 at 03:42 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:41 PM   #18
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Economy may be an issue too, given the slow down, but I don't think Obama's credentials are that impressive there, either. And VP candidates really don't matter.

Maybe you could save us the time of reading your posts, and just link directly to Obama press releases.
"Economy may be an issue too?" lol! Nice insight. I think I should link you to Obama press releases. Clearly you need to be reading something.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:53 PM   #19
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Obama, and it isn't even close. Putting aside whatever you feel about either candidate, the only way Clinton becomes the nominee is by getting the superdelegates to overturn the vote of the people, which in turn destroys the party completely. The convention would be a disaster with, I would imagine, hundreds of delegates boycotting. Fundraising would dry up (it already has for her with the exception of the brief bump she will enjoy from Penn). Her donors are already 100% tapped out. She can't win at this point. Obama can. So even if you think Obama has a 0.0000001% chance of winning, that makes him more electable.
I think I'll agree that Obama has a slight edge (it IS close, however).

Question for you, though. Why in the world did the Democrats come up with this "superdelegate" system if everyone thinks they should just go with the popular vote? I actually think Hillary has a point in her argument that the point of the superdelegates is to make an intelligent decision regarding the nominee. The superdelegates are in a position where they can ignore delegate counts from places like Utah (which the Dems will never win anyway) and look at the delegates from the battleground states. They also can consider the fact that Obama is still a relative unknown--all the dirt is already out on Hillary. Which is why it's close--Obama has NOT yet been under the microscope as Hillary has.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:56 PM   #20
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
"Economy may be an issue too?" lol! Nice insight. I think I should link you to Obama press releases. Clearly you need to be reading something.
*shrug* Perhaps. I'd wager I know as much about the economy as Obama does.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote