cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2008, 05:26 PM   #11
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

I have always been fascinated by comparisons between Utah and non-Utah Mormons.

I know quite a few of Mormons in the southwest who go to bars and get drunk during the week, and then show up at church or the temple acting completely pious. And I've seen plenty of the same in Utah.

But in Utah, you're more likely to see kids from your neighborhood smoking behind the gas station, or to catch your active LDS neighbor buying beer at the grocery store. In states with fewer Mormons, you're less likely to bump into these folks at your neighborhood store, so little sins are more likely to go unnoticed. That's the difference between Utah and non-Utah Mormons, IMO.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 05:28 PM   #12
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudphudCoug View Post
I have...
Ha! I knew you'd get your Sooner name revoked eventually!! An affront to the crimson and cream you were. Pesky avatars and such. Serves you right.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 05:28 PM   #13
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Having grown up in Utah I fully understand its unique weirdness, so I don't get too offended by green jello jokes. It's this perception that people their are less righteous (I even heard this in France). That people feel comfortable saying something so offensive at church amazes me.

I laugh out loud at people that use their four years at BYU as a basis for talking about "what Utah is like."
Though I still reside in Utah, I got the hell away from Provo at my first opportunity. It's simply a different world, even in terms of the Utah LDS experience.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 05:29 PM   #14
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I think I know the answer to this. People who have lived both in and out of Utah make unfair comparisons between the Mormons in each place because outside of Utah you get a skewed view of the local LDS community. In Utah, you see the whole range of LDS because they all live in your neighborhood. That includes the best to the worst.

Outside of Utah you encounter basically those LDS who are at church and engaged at a high level. The lower ends of the spectrum are invisible and you might not ever even meet them.

I think this leads to an apples and oranges comparison.

Second, there are things about LDS culture that are distasteful that are amplified in Utah because of the sheer numbers. I think this also contributes to a dim, but unfair, view of the Utah saints.
I think you, FM, and Marsupial are correct in this aspect. Greater concentration allows more opportunities for exposure to the foibles of your fellow ward members. As if that should even matter.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 05:29 PM   #15
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I have always been fascinated by comparisons between Utah and non-Utah Mormons.

I know quite a few of Mormons in the southwest who go to bars and get drunk during the week, and then show up at church or the temple acting completely pious. And I've seen plenty of the same in Utah.

But in Utah, you're more likely to see kids from your neighborhood smoking behind the gas station, or to catch your active LDS neighbor buying beer at the grocery store. In states with fewer Mormons, you're less likely to bump into these folks at your neighborhood store, so little sins are more likely to go unnoticed. That's the difference between Utah and non-Utah Mormons, IMO.
"MudphudCoug"? LOL. How did you come up with that?
Old 04-22-2008, 05:31 PM   #16
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Along these lines, my wife, despite her general reluctance to speak up during RS meeting gave me a good anecdote.

Some how her lesson had devolved to the point where the lovely sisters were patting themselves upon the proverbial backs for, "at least we don't have to have vote like the Catholics to select our next leader."

This offended my wife, who commented something to the effect, "Why can't we just be happy with our mode of succession without deriding others for their own. The Catholic Church is much larger and must take into consideration a broad range of opinions when the next Cardinal is elevated to Pope."

She said a quiet entered the room and she felt as though she might be disinvited from attending next week.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:31 PM   #17
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
"MudphudCoug"? LOL. How did you come up with that?
I'm sort of regretting the choice now.

Last edited by SoonerCoug; 09-11-2009 at 08:16 PM.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 05:32 PM   #18
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
Though I still reside in Utah, I got the hell away from Provo at my first opportunity. It's simply a different world, even in terms of the Utah LDS experience.
LOL.

On behalf of my fellow Provo-ites, don't let the door hit your butt on the way out.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:32 PM   #19
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm sort of regretting the choice now. I should have been LaterCoug.
I agree. LaterCoug.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 05:32 PM   #20
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
I'm sort of regretting the choice now. I should have been LaterCoug.
Yeah, keep trying.