cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2008, 09:05 PM   #11
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Not to mention some boneheaded movies as well.

Fouling 40 feet away from the basket with under a minute left...letting Kansas put points on the board with the clock stopped.

Also...if you're up by 3 with 10 seconds left and all the team has to do to send it into overtime is a hit 3.....then foul him before he shoots the ball. I know some don't like this strategy cause they prefer to play them "straight up"...but hey if the National Title is on the line...I'd do it, in a heartbeat.
Full-court press, make them use as much time as possible, but foul before they get even close to the 3-point line. It's just smart basketball, unless you're getting killed on the glass on FT attempts.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:28 PM   #12
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Fouling 40 feet away from the basket with under a minute left...letting Kansas put points on the board with the clock stopped.

Also...if you're up by 3 with 10 seconds left and all the team has to do to send it into overtime is a hit 3.....then foul him before he shoots the ball. I know some don't like this strategy cause they prefer to play them "straight up"...but hey if the National Title is on the line...I'd do it, in a heartbeat.
I'm with you. Foul and only allow them a chance to get two or try to intentionally miss and get the rebound and put back. The object is to win. And if it means not playing "straight up", then that's ok.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:12 AM   #13
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:

Agreed. Also, don't throw the ball to Kansas on the in-bounds pass with under 2 minutes to play. Memphis did a ton of stupid stuff in the last 2 minutes, but I appear to be alone in thinking that his foot was off the ground inside the arc prior to his foot coming off the ground outside the arc, and, as I read the rule, that seems to make it a 3. But I agree, they can't blame the refs, they killed themselves. If the ref did get it wrong, it just hurts that much more.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 03:25 AM   #14
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

This five point play was the killer for Memphis:

"With Kansas down 9 points at 2:08, Darrell Arthur made a tough 15-footer. Kansas took a timeout and decided it had to keep Memphis’s Chris Douglas-Roberts from getting the ball on the inbounds pass. Unable to get Douglas-Roberts the ball, Antonio Anderson tried to lob a pass to Rose, but Sherron Collins stole the ball and made a 3-pointer from the corner to cut the lead to 4 from 7."

From the NY Times article by Pete Thamel. Until then, Memphis was in control, Kansas was as good as dead. After that sequence, it was a ballgame, anybody's game. Memphis should have kept its boot heel on Kansas' throat, and it never would have come down to making free throws.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:07 AM   #15
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I'm with you. Foul and only allow them a chance to get two or try to intentionally miss and get the rebound and put back. The object is to win. And if it means not playing "straight up", then that's ok.
Memphis tried to foul but the refs did not call it.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:17 PM   #16
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Agreed. Also, don't throw the ball to Kansas on the in-bounds pass with under 2 minutes to play. Memphis did a ton of stupid stuff in the last 2 minutes, but I appear to be alone in thinking that his foot was off the ground inside the arc prior to his foot coming off the ground outside the arc, and, as I read the rule, that seems to make it a 3. But I agree, they can't blame the refs, they killed themselves. If the ref did get it wrong, it just hurts that much more.
The ref didn't get it wrong and you're wrong with your thought process "of thinking his foot was off the ground inside the arc, blah, blah, blah."