cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2008, 06:30 PM   #11
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taq Man View Post
See there lies the rub. My kids would be taught that all the other churches are bull. They would be taught that I'm a shitheel for drinking beer during BYU football games.

I don't want my kids growing up looking down on me for made up reasons.
You have a chance to teach your kids. Let them decide over time where the truth lies.

I doubt many kids believe what they are taught in church unless it is reinforced by the parents.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:32 PM   #12
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I do not identify myself as Mormon. However, people do look at me funny at the bar when I tell them where I went to school.
You can be a mormon as far as I am concerned. Just like Larry King is a Jew. There are many, many things to be proud of in the mormon culture. It is too bad there is so much animosity (sp) that can exist between the believing and non-believing mormons.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:34 PM   #13
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
thought of writing a letter and having your name removed?
I wouldn't give them the satisfaction. Nor would I attend one of their "courts." I'm sure you see the thread there.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:38 PM   #14
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Would it be possible for a family to move into a ward and say. I believe in God and Jesus Christ. However, I believe all churches have truth and this church is not the only true church. I believe the Prophet is a great leader, but do not believe he is Gods spokesman here on earth.

I do like the social structure of this church. I feel it is as good a place to worship God as any other. I will take my family and go elsewhere if I am actively proselyted.

What would a Bishop say in an instance like that. Would the family be disruptive, like give other members the wrong idea.
In my opinion, that would only be grounds for discipline if he actively teaches it. Someone wants to believe that in the privacy of their home, teach their children, etc., fine. Come to church, enjoy the fellowship of the Saints (and hopefully we can persuade you otherwise).

But if this hypothetical person starts advocating these beliefs in priesthood meeting, over the pulpit or in class (though I probably wouldn't ask him to speak or teach), then the problems start.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:45 PM   #15
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I wouldn't give them the satisfaction. Nor would I attend one of their "courts." I'm sure you see the thread there.
Good strategy. If you refuse to play, the church can't win the game.

Of course, you don't win either, as you refused to play.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:55 PM   #16
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Valid points.

Quote:
Just curious as to the reasoning for and against.
exUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:57 PM   #17
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default I agree.

Quote:
You would sure show them who's in control!
exUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:59 PM   #18
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

I have thought about having my name removed from the records, but only because I haven't moved yet. I imagine that as soon as I move I'll be lost and they won't pester me anymore. I'm not sure what other reason there would be, especially considering the hoops that I hear the church makes you jump through.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:02 PM   #19
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
I have thought about having my name removed from the records, but only because I haven't moved yet. I imagine that as soon as I move I'll be lost and they won't pester me anymore. I'm not sure what other reason there would be, especially considering the hoops that I hear the church makes you jump through.
I thought your wife was an active member? At least thats what you said a couple of days ago. If thats the case, I doubt your records would suddenly become "lost".
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:08 PM   #20
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I do not identify myself as Mormon. However, people do look at me funny at the bar when I tell them where I went to school.
In Utah, people at the bar don't look at you funny. Most of the people I run into in Utah bars used to be part of the Matrix themselves. It's when you leave Utah that people in bars are surprised to discover that you went to BYU.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote