cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2008, 05:53 PM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Same with this new version of Apple TV but I noticed that they left out the HD during discussion of instant download times. I wonder what the HD download time is on the apple? Also interesting about Apple TV is that it was an absolute flop when version 1 came out. That it was (and still is) too expensive seems blatantly obvious to me. Once they figure this out though, it or something similar at a reasonable cost will be incredibly popular.
Would you pay a $100 joining fee for Netflix? No you wouldn't. Yet you expect people to do that for AppleTV.

Who wants to pay a big fee and then be stuck with one vendor?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:03 PM   #12
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Would you pay a $100 joining fee for Netflix? No you wouldn't. Yet you expect people to do that for AppleTV.

Who wants to pay a big fee and then be stuck with one vendor?
You're right, $100 is still too high. I don't know what the magic number is. The thing I think Apple TV has going for it is the ease with which one can watch it on their TV. As far as I know, the other services are geared toward viewing on computer. Maybe the rental model is best; $5 or so/month for the box.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:10 PM   #13
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been using the Netflix instant download a lot recently. Last night watched The Paper Chase, the night before watched a foreign film called Life According to Muriel that I remembered seeing at the Sundance Film Festival 10 years ago.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:16 PM   #14
SteelBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
I've been using the Netflix instant download a lot recently. Last night watched The Paper Chase, the night before watched a foreign film called Life According to Muriel that I remembered seeing at the Sundance Film Festival 10 years ago.
Can you use the Netflix instant download to watch on your widescreen TV? Or are you limited to computer monitor?
Old 02-15-2008, 06:19 PM   #15
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Can you use the Netflix instant download to watch on your widescreen TV? Or are you limited to computer monitor?
I'm sure I could; my laptop has an S-video hookup, but I've only had it for a few weeks so I haven't tried out all of its magical extras. It is a widescreen multi-media everything whatever, so watching Netflix on it has been fine with me.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:36 PM   #16
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I could on my TV. I would just hook up my laptop to my VGA input on my DLP.

The downside of this system is I wouldn't have surround sound. I would just have stereo sound.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:38 PM   #17
SteelBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I could on my TV. I would just hook up my laptop to my VGA input on my DLP.

The downside of this system is I wouldn't have surround sound. I would just have stereo sound.

Ok, I'm starting to understand this better now. Apple TV basically is asking for $229 to provide you with surround sound. I don't see anything else they have to offer that you guys aren't already able to do with your laptop.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:46 PM   #18
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Apple TV renders brick and mortar video stores useless imo. The one thing a video store was still good for was spur of the moment rentals. This solves that problem easily and when their library size approaches that of a brick and mortar store I don't know how the B&M store survives. Apple TV also lets you watch on your TV versus huddling around the computer. As far as I know, this is the first product available that makes the TV viewing easy. I know that PPV movie rentals have been around for years, but the selection has always been minimal.

The cost of the Apple TV unit is still a bit prohibitive for some so the brick and mortar stores may be safe for a little while longer. But as soon as the price begins to come down, and other companies offer similar products (I'd imagine Blockbuster will try and do something similar) I don't see any reason to ever deal with a brick and mortar store again.
I thought cable was getting into on-demand rentals, as well as NetFlix online, etc. AppleTV is not the first to try this.

We use Blockbuster by mail, but still visit the Blockbuster store from time-to-time. It has definitely reduced our visits to the regional video chain/bookstore we used to frequent. Those are the kinds of places at risk. I noticed are trying to become more like Borders with the coffee bar, etc.

Any on-demand product better be the same resolution as a DVD and not take too-long to download or access via cable. Cable internet is pretty fast, but not everyone has that kind of speed to their house. I think the brick-n-mortar stores will be around for awhile.
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:51 PM   #19
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

I like the Redhat-type machines where you can get a dvd for a dollar a night. Usually the selection is small, but they can be pretty convenient.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:51 PM   #20
SteelBlue

I only used apple's product as the example because it seems to offer everything a customer wants. Has a large library, available in HD, has surround sound, has instant download times etc... I realize there are other similar options, but apple's seems to have the most features. I'm with Lebowski; I give the brick and mortar stores 5 years regardless of which company puts together the best deal.