cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2008, 11:04 PM   #11
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
You have to assume the best. You are judging people to be guilty by saying that they will not have done their home teaching. You are also giving them the responsibility of being honest and correcting that positive assumption if they did not do it. Thus, they are 100% if they don't email you.
You're making this far, too far, difficult. You have it all wrong.

You teach your Elders correct principles and let them govern themselves. You mark them down as one hundred percenters and if they perchance fail to meet that standard, you inform them that repentance wipes the slate clean, but in case they want to make it up, visit the people they missed twice the next month and then mathematically it comes up to 100 percent. None of this email and confirmation balderdash. Trust an expert. I've been a clerk at many levels, and they enjoyed my work so much, I've asked to do it all levels except the stake. Boy, I'd really clean up the stake if they let me at it. Keep hope alive and believe in your people brother.

Last edited by Archaea; 02-13-2008 at 11:08 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:28 AM   #12
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Home Teaching Numbers--Every companionship is given our email address. We will count them as 100% UNLESS they email me and say otherwise. Instead of the presidency calling them every week, only to have calls not returned, etc., they are expected to email us only if they did not do their visits. Otherwise, they are counted as 100%.
With a heavy heart I must admit that this is the best idea I have ever heard. Really, it's brilliant.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:42 AM   #13
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Shockingly enough, I was not put in the bishopric though I campaigned long and hard. I was just named First Counselor in the Elders Quorum. Its too bad because I understand that the 2nd Counselor does even less. The new president is a good guy and I think we will work together. Here is the one thing that I want to have happen and will help define my legacy as a 1st counselor:

Home Teaching Numbers--Every companionship is given our email address. We will count them as 100% UNLESS they email me and say otherwise. Instead of the presidency calling them every week, only to have calls not returned, etc., they are expected to email us only if they did not do their visits. Otherwise, they are counted as 100%.

If any of you have any other suggestions on how to make me awesome in this calling, please let me know.
Where were you when I needed a counselor? Seriously those are great ideas. Give people the benefit of the doubt. You wont get a widow smith situation because the High Priest have all the single sisters.

Here's another suggestion for you: Always end priesthood 5 minutes early. this was the hallmark of my presidency. Not once in two years did we go over.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:03 PM   #14
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
With a heavy heart I must admit that this is the best idea I have ever heard. Really, it's brilliant.
It is about time that I was recognized for my genius and not just my physical attributes.

I have a long list of things to be done to make our Elders Quorum be the model for the church. Besides Home Teaching, I think MRD makes a good point on ending class 5 minutes early every week. That is a no-brainer and it will get done.

Other things that I am planning:
The Presidency is expected to go out and visit elders once a week. Most likely, we would visit 3 guys a week in one night. So, that is 12 guys a month that we need to visit. I am going to recommend that we take these 12 guys and give them a choice of a home visit or to go out with the Presidency to a movie. So, if 8 guys want to go to a movie...we go to a 9pm Wednesday showing and then the other 4 guys we work out a time to visit them. We will have 3 weeks to visit those final 4 guys.

No Calling to be an Elders Quorum teacher until you have proved yourself. We rotate thru teachers over a 3-month time. When we get a brilliant lesson, we get that guy to be a teacher. Nothing worse than calling a guy that you think is good, he turns out bad and you are stuck with him for a year.

Any other ideas, I am open to them.

Goatnapper: "UteStar is the only one who is not scum."
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 05:38 AM   #15
minn_stat

minn_stat is on a distinguished road

Honestly, this thread has kept me laughing out loud for five minutes straight. One of the best ever in that regard.

I just wish you'd been a counselor during my two stints in EQ presidencies.
minn_stat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 05:37 PM   #16
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
It is about time that I was recognized for my genius and not just my physical attributes.

I have a long list of things to be done to make our Elders Quorum be the model for the church. Besides Home Teaching, I think MRD makes a good point on ending class 5 minutes early every week. That is a no-brainer and it will get done.

Other things that I am planning:
The Presidency is expected to go out and visit elders once a week. Most likely, we would visit 3 guys a week in one night. So, that is 12 guys a month that we need to visit. I am going to recommend that we take these 12 guys and give them a choice of a home visit or to go out with the Presidency to a movie. So, if 8 guys want to go to a movie...we go to a 9pm Wednesday showing and then the other 4 guys we work out a time to visit them. We will have 3 weeks to visit those final 4 guys.

No Calling to be an Elders Quorum teacher until you have proved yourself. We rotate thru teachers over a 3-month time. When we get a brilliant lesson, we get that guy to be a teacher. Nothing worse than calling a guy that you think is good, he turns out bad and you are stuck with him for a year.

Any other ideas, I am open to them.
You laugh about the movie idea, but you have no idea how many guys wish to watch classics such as Debbie does Dallas (ok maybe a stretch) We have had movie nites in our EQs and had some of the best attendance for hometeaching visits one can ever imagine.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:49 PM   #17
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't underestimate the EQP as a proving ground for fast tracking...I was a second counselor in my ward's EQ Presidency, and 3 months later was called as the Ward Mission Leader...

...maybe that wasn't a reward for good works after all...
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:03 PM   #18
malapert

malapert is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If this falls flat on its face, they can always move me back to Primary or the Nursery.
Let me compliment your genius UteStar. With this sort of innovation and efficiency, we will have to change your screen name to UteMeteorRising...I smell a bright future for you. Can you spell....S-t-a-k-e P-r-e-s-i-d-e-n-c-y?

"He has all the virtues I dislike--and none of the vices I admire." -Winston Churchill

"He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends." -Oscar Wilde

"In order to avoid being called a flirt, she always yielded easily." -Charles, Count Talleyrand
malapert is offline   Reply With Quote