cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2008, 03:30 AM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Seattle, did you see Chris Hitchens wrote a piece today on Obama and race and what it says about us as a people?
He read the review.

Here is the actual article.

http://www.slate.com/id/%202181460/
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:30 AM   #12
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
He read the review.
That was funny.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:32 AM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
That was funny.
btw, my avatar does not approve of the slam in the Hitchens article.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:32 AM   #14
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
One of the good things about Obama being elected president is that everyone, Sharpton-types and race baiting FMCoug-types alike, will have to recognize that since a black man can be elected president in this country race is no longer a limitation to ANYONE reaching the highest levels of success.
You really are a utopian. It would be a feel good story, but will have limited effect on day to day race relations in America. The underlying problems that plague race-relations will remain. You should leave your white-bread upper-class Seattle high society and check out the rest of the country.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.

Last edited by myboynoah; 01-08-2008 at 03:34 AM.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:33 AM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I predict Obama invites Romney to run as VP, and that Obama joins the church 2 months before the election in order to "unite" the ticket.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:38 AM   #16
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Seattle, did you see Chris Hitchens wrote a piece today on Obama and race and what it says about us as a people?
This one?

http://www.slate.com/id/2181460

You know, I both agree with him and think he's making much ado about nothing. Obama is not a black candidate like Jesse Jackson was a black candidate. He doesn't seem to me to identify himself with African American special interests the way Jackson did, and I don't see that blacks or whites regard him as a "black" candidate that way. He wouldn't be in the driver's seat if he were that kind of candidate.

It seems to me Obama is succeeding in part because he has has not made too much out of being a "black" candidate. For the most part I give him credit for being color neutral. (No, I don't plan to vote for him.) Whatever Hitchins, Archaea, or FMCoug think, being black is a greater hindrance than a benefit to a presiential candidate. If you doubt that just look at some of the commments that have been made here today, such as FMCoug's or Archaea's, which is what I think is pathetic.

There is a strong tradition of religious fervor among blacks that often spills into their civic life, and this seems to annoy the bejesus out of Hitchins. That clearly is in part what inspired this column. Well, I share a lot of opinions with Hitchins, but unlike him I don't believe religion is unalloyed evil. We wouldn't be where we are without it, and I think the human condition has never been better overall, despite the persistent widespread suffering. That Hitchins can't see this makes him in this respect as oblivious as a lot of religious zombies I know.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 01-08-2008 at 03:42 AM.
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:41 AM   #17
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
You really are a utopian. It would be a feel good story, but will have limited effect on day to day race relations in America. The underlying problems that plague race-relations will remain. You should leave your white-bread upper-class Seattle high society and check out the rest of the country.
I'm not utopian. I think actually it would disappoint the Sharpton types. It's really a line for the whites: Who needs affirmative action? A black man has been elected president. On the other hand, if he's a decent president maybe the racists will learn something.

—Paul Auster
Old 01-08-2008, 03:48 AM   #18
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post

It seems to me Obama is succeeding in part because he has has not made too much out of being a "black" candidate. For the most part I give him credit for being color neutral. (No, I don't plan to vote for him.) Whatever Hitchins, Archaea, or FMCoug think, being black is a greater hindrance than a benefit to a presiential candidate. If you doubt that just look at some of the commments that have been made here today, such as FMCoug's or Archaea's, which is what I think is pathetic.
That's exactly right. He refuses to be defined by race. He refuses to play the race card, and he fights anyone who tries to play it on his behalf.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:48 AM   #19
SeattleUte

I wonder if anyone even claims to understand all of Hitichins' rant. He's quite a lost, angry and wayward soul. Apostatizing from paleo liberalism to support Bush's war, and how the war has turned out and all, has left him very lonely and kind of with a screw loose. I understand he's drinking as much as ever.

—Paul Auster
Old 01-08-2008, 03:50 AM   #20
SeattleUte

Quote:
That's exactly right. He refuses to be defined by race. He refuses to play the race card, and he fights anyone who tries to play it on his behalf.
Hence, when I read Hitchins' diatribe I thought, "Holy Jesus, what's gotten into him?"

—Paul Auster