cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2007, 01:21 PM   #11
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I remember the days of watching BYU fans finding great glory in February championships. It felt gay because the team sucked. Maybe all of Gary's recruiting is the cause of present success, but I tend to think BYU recruiting is pretty consistent or at least there is consistent opportunity with the LDS base and BYU's history and tradition.

I can agree that Utah has had a great in state crop, but I can't see where there is a compelling argument that either program is having superior recruiting success.

I would have loved for BYU to have landed Shak, Krueger and Siliaga. But they didn't. I have yet to see Shak play but I will bet it probable that he isn't as good as Harvey Unga. Kruegar will one day be a good player like his brother and Sealver Siliagas come every year from the Poly Brethren.

My biggest issues with this recruiting class is the paucity of non-LDS recruits. As far as I can tell BYU will only sign 1 non-LDS kid. Other than that I think this class is similar to what BYU has signed for the past 15 years and as I have stated many times recruiting is not BYU's biggest challenge. The key for Bronco is retention, retention, retention.
Wow, I didn't realize that on the non-LDS kids. I hope that is just a fluke and not a plan.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 01:44 PM   #12
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
My biggest issues with this recruiting class is the paucity of non-LDS recruits. As far as I can tell BYU will only sign 1 non-LDS kid. Other than that I think this class is similar to what BYU has signed for the past 15 years and as I have stated many times recruiting is not BYU's biggest challenge. The key for Bronco is retention, retention, retention.
Undoubtedly, the retention rate of LDS athletes is much higher than non-LDS. I don't think BYU should as a rule strictly limit themselves to only recruiting LDS athletes, but by the same token, you have a 6,000,000+ US church membership to work with. Could it be we've reached a sufficient critical mass that our talent needs can largely be supplied from "within"?

Not only have our numbers increased, but there is a marked shift in the demographics of the LDS athletes we recruit. How many black LDS players have we seen the last two or three years? We have another two coming in this year.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 02:02 PM   #13
A-Train

A-Train is on a distinguished road

I think BYU is focusing on depth needs this year vs. what came in last year. The players come in are solid players and will contribute but I do not see any potential superstars out of this class. The reason I say BYU is going for needs is due to the amount of JC recruits we have coming in vs. what we had last year. The interesting point on that is that none of the current crop of JC kids are Defensive Backs which is what we usually target from the JC ranks. This class won't knock your socks off but I do think it is solid with D-Line and O-Line recruits as well as LB's and if we can get that 4 Star kid who had verbaled to UCLA but has since withdrawn it we will be looking much better.

Utah on the other hand has done a great job this year and my hat is off to Whittingham and Gary Anderson. They went head to head with BYU and a handful of guys and won. Now some of that is due to family members having gone to the U in the past or are on the team but it is what it is. I do think it is funny that people on Cougarboard have started the "that guy will never be any good" threads but we shall see. Shak, Kruger, Siliaga, were great pick ups but as people have mentioned, although it is nice to claim the recruiting victory especially instate which I don't think has happened for Utah in sometime, the guys must transfer the recruiting hype onto the playing field. Just ask Ben Olson, and that O-Lineman BYU got a couple years ago about that.
A-Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 02:10 PM   #14
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

I think there are only one or two people I've seen with the "Shakerin won't be any good" claims.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 02:13 PM   #15
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

You have to remember this is the retard that on more than one occasion during THIS football season talked about how much better Utah's linebacking corps was than BYUs.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:46 PM   #16
A-Train

A-Train is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
You have to remember this is the retard that on more than one occasion during THIS football season talked about how much better Utah's linebacking corps was than BYUs.
Which retard is that? The retard that is talking about how Shak isn't any good?
A-Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 02:53 PM   #17
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Train View Post
Which retard is that? The retard that is talking about how Shak isn't any good?
I think he means the Bill Riley retard.

For the record, I ahve no idea who Bill Riley is, but I don't live in Utah.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:02 PM   #18
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I think he means the Bill Riley retard.

For the record, I ahve no idea who Bill Riley is, but I don't live in Utah.
Yes I mean Riley.

For the record on Shak. He's a heck of a football player that is a good get for the U.

Some will point out that his Senior year wasn't up to his Junior year, but that would be taking a shortcut through the facts that the kid didn't play in 3-4 games because of his knee injuries and in the games that he did play in...save the last 3-4...the knee was slowing him down a bit.

Near the end of the year he was starting to look like his old self.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:31 PM   #19
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

I feel sorry for you Ute fans that have to endure Bill Riley. I thought he was just awful when he was on KSL covering BYU sports.