cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 03:59 AM   #11
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I can agree with this, but it puts BYU in the same position as before. Why take the chance when the grass isn't greener?

Edit: BYU without Utah isn't as attractive as BYU with Utah. They really do need each other.
I think the WAC would gladly welcome BYU and Utah, especially if it meant they got to kick out Utah State and Louisiana Tech.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 04:14 AM   #12
CJF

CJF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
There has been a lot of talk about going independent, and the two biggest obstacles are TV and scheduling IMO. Assuming that a TV deal could be worked out that was acceptable, we would still have to deal with scheduling troubles.

I think there are a few teams we would be able to schedule every year regardless in:

Utah
Utah State
Hawaii

In addition, I think that we would be able to schedule 2 of the following 4 teams every year:

Air Force
Wyoming
UNLV
Colorado State

Add in a "gimmie" game like an Eastern Washington, and we are at 6 games a year.

I think landing 2 PAC10 teams would be realistic each year, one home and one away, putting us at 8 games. But after that, then what?

The good news is we would have more yearly schedule flexibility, so I think we would get to play some bigger schools every year, but a lot of those without a return visit guaranteed. Not sure how much this really benefits BYU as a program, other than recognition against bigger name schools. Even if we get 2 of these games a year, that only puts us at 10 games a year. Would we really rather play 2 more schools each year like a Nevada or a Tulsa or a UTEP, or stay in a (crappy) conference that at least has bowl games tied in with the chance to play for a conference championship.

Maybe I'm underestimating our scheduling power, but I'm not sure that scheduling Independantly would be a better option than the MWC. Although our conference is downright awful this year, so maybe it would be better.
I think we'd also try to do schedule Army, Navy, and probably try to get something with ND again also. Those would probably be our late season games while every one else in the country is in conference play. Finish up with Utah.
CJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 12:10 PM   #13
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

I would be interested to know in this scenario if there would be MWC backlash from BYU leaving the conference. In your scenario BYU could play up to 4 MWC teams as an independent, and I just wonder if the teams would get together and decide to not play BYU because it left the conference...and that includes the rivalry game vs. Utah.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:29 PM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally if BYU left the MWC and Utah refused to play BYU, I wouldn't care one bit.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 12:44 PM   #15
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

we can easily start another rivalry with someone else (Boise?). ND has what, 6 or 7 rivalries?
Old 11-08-2007, 12:48 PM   #16
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Scheduling would not be nearly as difficult as some of you think. Saying our schedule would be full of Utah State and Eastern Washington is silly. A terrible AD could create a schedule equal to the one we have one, a good AD could create an awesome schedule as an independent. The problem is basketball and other sports.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 12:51 PM   #17
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
I would be interested to know in this scenario if there would be MWC backlash from BYU leaving the conference. In your scenario BYU could play up to 4 MWC teams as an independent, and I just wonder if the teams would get together and decide to not play BYU because it left the conference...and that includes the rivalry game vs. Utah.
No way in hell would Utah refuse to play BYU.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 12:52 PM   #18
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Scheduling would not be nearly as difficult as some of you think. Saying our schedule would be full of Utah State and Eastern Washington is silly. A terrible AD could create a schedule equal to the one we have one, a good AD could create an awesome schedule as an independent. The problem is basketball and other sports.
we can be independent in FB and have all other sports join the WAC.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:57 PM   #19
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
No way in hell would Utah refuse to play BYU.
What if it wasn't up to Utah? What If it was a conference decision?
Old 11-08-2007, 01:07 PM   #20
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
What if it wasn't up to Utah? What If it was a conference decision?
Is there a precedent for this?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote