cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2007, 02:26 PM   #11
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

No, because McCain is no longer relevant in U.S. politics no matter what his followers want to believe.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:50 PM   #12
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
93.2% of all those in the US that identify themselves with a religion call themselves Christian.

http://www.adherents.com/rel_USA.html#religions
Sure, but a substantially smaller percentage of Americans consider LDS to be Christians. Thus, McCain's comments would imply (to many) that a Mormon should not be president.

Quote:
To call the US a "Christian Nation" is neither controversial nor disputable.
Says the Christian to the Jew.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:51 PM   #13
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
No, because McCain is no longer relevant in U.S. politics no matter what his followers want to believe.
I think you're off on this one Rocky. He may not be the frontrunning presidential candidate, but he is still one of the most effective legislators in the Senate. He's the ranking member on two committees, Armed Services Committee and Commerce, Science and Transportation. Disagree with him all you like, but it's apparent that he still wields a tremendous amount of influence.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 02:52 PM   #14
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
So if I was a Christian living in Israel and someone said that Israel is a Jewish Nation, should I feel upset?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 02:57 PM   #15
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
So if I was a Christian living in Israel and someone said that Israel is a Jewish Nation, should I feel upset?
So you believe the US is a Christian nation the same way Israel is a Jewish State? Seriously?
Old 10-02-2007, 03:07 PM   #16
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
I think you're off on this one Rocky. He may not be the frontrunning presidential candidate, but he is still one of the most effective legislators in the Senate. He's the ranking member on two committees, Armed Services Committee and Commerce, Science and Transportation. Disagree with him all you like, but it's apparent that he still wields a tremendous amount of influence.
Old guys who've been in the Senate for a long time typically yield more influence in the Senate and McCain isn't the only one,,there's several just like him but they just aren't running for President......him running for President doesn't make him any more relevant than he was 1-2 years ago.

He has ZERO shot of winning, and because of the fact that he's been cozying up to the least Popular President (especially in how Bush is handling the war) in any modern era has made it just worst for him.

If McCain wins the Presidency,,,much less the Republican Nomination I will on a live webcast here on Cougarguard eat my shorts with any condiments the CG'ers deem.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:15 PM   #17
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Old guys who've been in the Senate for a long time typically yield more influence in the Senate and McCain isn't the only one...him running for President doesn't make him any more relevant than he was 1-2 years ago.

He has ZERO shot of winning, and because of the fact that he's been cozying up to the least Popular President (especially in how Bush is handling the war) in any modern era has made it just worst for him.
If you're point was that McCain is not any more relevant because he is currently running for President, then I somewhat agree with you. But what you said he was that he was "no longer relevant in U.S. politics." This is different. Perhaps you can clarify.

Although I am intimidated by your whitney64esque use of the CAPS key, I must admit that I see McCain's chances of winning the presidency as greater than zero. I see him as the third strongest candidate, behind only Rudy and Hillary.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 03:43 PM   #18
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
So you believe the US is a Christian nation the same way Israel is a Jewish State? Seriously?
You mean Israel is a theocracy?

How could a Jewish person not recognize they live in a Christian nation when they are outnumbered 59:1?

The overwhelming majority of our laws, judges and elected officials are Christian.

The only basis you could object to McCain's claim that the US is a Christian nation is one of strained semantics. Wait, I guess that's your forte. Never mind.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 04:46 PM   #19
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You have a minority psychosis.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 05:16 PM   #20
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Of course, he was such a successful candidate, how many states did he carry?
Only a couple. How would you like to be the only conservative republican in half a century who couldn't even carry Utah?
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote