cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2007, 02:36 PM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
plus... if you don't meet medicaid standards and are still unable to pay they will either give you a discount or outright charity care
Some will. Others will give you over to the collectors. An ER I worked at, that saw many indigent, did this.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:38 PM   #12
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Here is what it says in Texas:

I fail to see how this applies to the 25 year old guy working at McDonalds. Looks like he is SOL.
I don't believe TANF or any other Medicaid program can disqualify you for assistance based on marital status. They certainly can create additional opportunities for children and mothers, but indigent unmarried males can qualify. If you are employed, you probably don't qualify under most circumstances.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:39 PM   #13
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Here is what it says in Texas:

I fail to see how this applies to the 25 year old guy working at McDonalds. Looks like he is SOL.
In Utah the medicaid rules are different but again if you are still poor then you will get charity care plus there are other options as well
Old 08-29-2007, 02:42 PM   #14
Mormon Red Death

Quote:
Some will. Others will give you over to the collectors. An ER I worked at, that saw many indigent, did this.
Most hospitals will work with you to be put on a payment plan or outright charity care.

Most hospitals in the US are non-profit and if they are in the city center their mission statement will indefinitely include caring for the poor
Old 08-29-2007, 02:43 PM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
In Utah the medicaid rules are different but again if you are still poor then you will get charity care plus there are other options as well
Say you have severe depression. And you don't qualify for medicaid. Tell me, where is this outpatient charity care?

I work for the state, and they make it extremely difficult for me to provide charity care at my discretion. Even reduced fee.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:45 PM   #16
Archaea

Quote:
Say you have severe depression. And you don't qualify for medicaid. Tell me, where is this outpatient charity care?

I work for the state, and they make it extremely difficult for me to provide charity care at my discretion. Even reduced fee.
Mike, you forget Texas, is not exactly known for its aid to the poor. Most other states are more generous than Texas.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:45 PM   #17
Mormon Red Death

Quote:

I agree about mental health... that is the one area even for the insured where coverage is absolutely horrible. However, I am not sure its any better in Canada or England
Old 08-29-2007, 02:46 PM   #18
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
I agree about mental health... that is the one area even for the insured where coverage is absolutely horrible. However, I am not sure its any better in Canada or England
You truely believe that it is likely that for the person in this scenario, Canada wouldn't be better?

I have a hard time believing that.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:47 PM   #19
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Mike, you forget Texas, is not exactly known for its aid to the poor. Most other states are more generous than Texas.
My point is that a socialized system exists in Dallas, that steps in where medicaid does not, and takes care of people.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:49 PM   #20
Archaea

Quote:
My point is that a socialized system exists in Dallas, that steps in where medicaid does not, and takes care of people.
The key to the debate is that we should minimize socialization of the payment system for medicine to allow as much market intervention as possible and intervene only where the market does not pick up the tab. Economic incentives need to exist so that there are rewards for working.

A system where a health care consumer's sensitivities to costs are removed are ill-advised and not worth duplicating. I have experienced health care in other countries, and still prefer our system. For the working who can afford premiums, we still have a superior system.