cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2007, 08:30 PM   #11
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

OldManMeanie is a good friend of Samuelson's from before Samuelson's BYU Presidency days. I referred to Samuelson as "Sammy the Ute" once in front of OldManMeanie. OldManMeanie was not pleased.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 08:34 PM   #12
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
OldManMeanie is a good friend of Samuelson's from before Samuelson's BYU Presidency days. I referred to Samuelson as "Sammy the Ute" once in front of OldManMeanie. OldManMeanie was not pleased.
I kinda think the presidential callings got switched in the mail.

Sammy should be at the U, and Young should have followed his namesake.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:36 PM   #13
OrangeUte

OrangeUte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
One limiting factor on judging Samuelson is his poor public speaking, it really is NOT one of this virtues. Thus, when we see poorly worded and even more meekly delivered public addresses it makes it hard to judge him fairly.

To me, it seems as if he's just biding his time at BYU, no passion, no love.
i agree on the public speaking aspect. as for lack of passion and love, i have no idea. my impression is that he places a very high value on the quality of the education down there and he cares that the students are high quality. i think cecil loves education and college kids. While i don't think that being at byu is his dream job, i don't think he sees it as just a place to serve.
OrangeUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 08:36 PM   #14
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
b/c the church is afraid of academic impression beyond training young men and women to become adults of achievement in their professional fields.
Yes, I noticed my four years at BYU that my professors took careful notice not to make any academic impression on me whatsover beyond professional training.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 08:56 PM   #15
OrangeUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Yes, I noticed my four years at BYU that my professors took careful notice not to make any academic impression on me whatsover beyond professional training.
WOW! jay santos took a comment completely out of context! what a shocker!

byu's faculty is top notch - i did not comment on the caliber of faculty, only the church's collective fear of free academic expression.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:02 PM   #16
jay santos

Quote:

byu's faculty is top notch - i did not comment on the caliber of faculty, only the church's collective fear of free academic expression.
I'm not seeing how I took it out of context yet. So, all those top notch faculty at BYU making academic impression on BYU students' minds are doing so against the wishes of the church?
Old 08-28-2007, 09:08 PM   #17
Insensitive PAP

Insensitive PAP
Default It's interesting argument that...

Quote:

all these great BYU professors subjugate their academic expression, to which they have dedicated thier lives, to the Church. That would be rather amazing if true. Do you really believe that? Or have you just not thought it through on a rational level?
Insensitive PAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 09:11 PM   #18
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

His son is regular poster on utefans
Old 08-28-2007, 09:24 PM   #19
OrangeUte

Quote:
i think what you see out of samuelson as the pres. of byu, is him trying to balance his incredible capabilities and his embracing of open learning with his wanting to be loyal to the church brass. it comes across as unimpressive b/c the church is afraid of academic impression beyond training young men and women to become adults of achievement in their professional fields.

i guarantee you that the new stance at byu (and perhaps even in the church) on homosexuality is driven by cecil's sensitivities on the subject toward those members of the church.
here is what i wrote - reread it again. goodness some people don't take time to read and become very sensitive...

i was making a general comment on how samuelson is caught b/w being an academic and a leader of a church with apparent displeasure toward freedom of expression. this is not a slam against byu or the quality of education at that school.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:39 PM   #20
jay santos

Quote:
here is what i wrote - reread it again. goodness some people don't take time to read and become very sensitive...

i was making a general comment on how samuelson is caught b/w being an academic and a leader of a church with apparent displeasure toward freedom of expression. this is not a slam against byu or the quality of education at that school.
Yeah this academic freedom issue is a really tired one. I doubt if you have anything new to bring on the subject. Unless you think Samuelson is frustrated about not being able to talk about homosexuality, controversial aspects of LDS polygamy, or non-BOM jibing Mesoamerican anthropology then you probably don't have anything. I really doubt that frustration is what makes him appear lackluster to some BYU observers.