cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2008, 02:57 PM   #11
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Why? I get what I need out of church. I enjoy Sacrament meeting most of the time. It is a peaceful time for me. I am away from the hussle bussle of the world while there. AS far as Priesthood meeting goes, I get all the back and forth on church issues here.

So my question would be why are you wishing church was more enjoyable for me. It meets my needs. Your projecting your needs onto me. I don't have the same needs you do.

The question was asked to a single guy who has raised his kids. Church for me is a whole different deal than it is for you when it comes to the social aspects.
What should Church be for single mature men?

What purposes should it serve?

What should such situated persons contribute?
Old 06-11-2008, 03:02 PM   #12
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
What should Church be for single mature men?

What purposes should it serve?

What should such situated persons contribute?
I really don't pretend to know, because even single mature men all don't have the same needs.

I would suppose for me it is the basic need. A place where one can nourish their spiritual needs. Beyond that for me, I don't need anything else I can think of.

For others it might provide some good social settings that they otherwise might not get. For those who want to marry, it can provide a meeting place or environment to find someone of like interests and goals.

I have no idea what such persons should contribute. Without being married, I know they are restricted in contributing in all the ways the married person can.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 03:05 PM   #13
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
When you said church was not fun in anyway, I took that to mean you did not experience any enjoyment through attendance.

Clearly you did not mean this, and you do in fact enjoy church.
Right, I don't equate fun with enjoy in all cases. Fun would be going to Lagoon. Enjoy would be to watch a granddaughters dance recital.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:17 PM   #14
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Right, I don't equate fun with enjoy in all cases. Fun would be going to Lagoon. Enjoy would be to watch a granddaughters dance recital.
I agree with you 71, and I am not an older guy who has raised his kids.

The majority of my family's social contacts come from outside our ward. We do have friends in the ward, but most of our daily friend contacts are people who are not in our ward....and several who aren't even LDS (including my family).

I dont feel like I am missing out on anything by fulfiiling some of my social needs elsewhere.

Sunday School is hit and miss with me. I usually skip it and either do meetings or chat in the hall during the second hour.

PS Lagoon sucks, so I strongly disagree with you there. Do they still have that haunted house ride? I remember waiting in line for it and you can see this mechanical witch pop out of her window and look out at the people in line.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 03:18 PM   #15
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I agree with you 71, and I am not an older guy who has raised his kids.

The majority of my family's social contacts come from outside our ward. We do have friends in the ward, but most of our daily friend contacts are people who are not in our ward....and several who aren't even LDS (including my family).

I dont feel like I am missing out on anything by fulfiiling some of my social needs elsewhere.

Sunday School is hit and miss with me. I usually skip it and either do meetings or chat in the hall during the second hour.

PS Lagoon sucks, so I strongly disagree with you there. Do they still have that haunted house ride? I remember waiting in line for it and you can see this mechanical witch pop out of her window and look out at the people in line.
Lagoon was the first thing that came to my mind. However, you are correct. For me Lagoon would not be fun at all. I should have said a round of golf at Pebble Beach would be fun.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:51 PM   #16
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

It sounds like what 71 needs is an opportunity to serve someone else. (Or maybe he has the opportunity but needs to decide to take it.)

Meaningful service to others does wonders for changing a person's outlook toward the church, and life in general.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 03:53 PM   #17
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
It sounds like what 71 needs is an opportunity to serve someone else. (Or maybe he has the opportunity but needs to decide to take it.)

Meaningful service to others does wonders for changing a person's outlook toward the church, and life in general.
I said something like this, and it didn't go over well. Except I was nicer.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 03:57 PM   #18
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post

In all seriousness Tex, what outlook toward the church or life do I need to change. I don't know you well enough to compare definitively, but I would guess my outlook on the church and life is every bit as good as yours.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:11 PM   #19
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
In all seriousness Tex, what outlook toward the church or life do I need to change. I don't know you well enough to compare definitively, but I would guess my outlook on the church and life is every bit as good as yours.
I think what Tex is saying is that if you go help clean out someone's garage or volunteer to can peaches, you will enjoy Sunday School more.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 04:18 PM   #20
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I think what Tex is saying is that if you go help clean out someone's garage or volunteer to can peaches, you will enjoy Sunday School more.
It is the Tex's and Waters of the world that make me not want to hang out in social settings at church. On the golf course they wouldn't be so inclined to espouse their views on life and on what brings others "true" happiness. However, in the church environment they feel free to share they heartfelt views on how to find true happiness and tirelessly point others in that direction.

Often I wonder if they are not miserable and want others to be in the same state in order to make them feel better.

I can see how though SS would be more enjoyable. You would sit there being so greatful you weren't out cleaning a garage.