cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2008, 02:30 PM   #11
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballrollin View Post
That's why I made sure our caterers were temple worthy before I hired them. Though I think some of them may have lied, just to get the gig.
I went a step further for my wedding.

I called BYU71's two sources and confirmed that every construction worker had a temple recommend when they built the temple in which we were sealed.

Oops, did I say built? I meant to say remodeled!

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:47 PM   #12
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
order to attend your own child's wedding? I've always been a little bothered with keeping inactive or non-member parents and grandparents from attending temple weddings.
It's a tough situation, no question. But I've been to some very nice ring ceremonies for young folks with inactive/non-member parents. No, the parents weren't happy about it, especially to begin with, but in the end they still get to walk their little girl down the aisle and hard feelings tend to soften some.

A bigger problem was whether or not to have alcohol served at the reception.

The advocacy of letting unworthy or uncovenanted people witness perhaps our most sacred ceremony strikes me as illustrative of how lightly we tend to treat sacred things.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:59 PM   #13
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Keeping the YM/YW out of temple sealings is particularly stupid IMHO. Maybe if they saw how silly the temple robes looked they would be turned off? Maybe if they realized that Mormon Temple weddings lack the beauty and pageantry of the weddings in the rest of the world and won't want it? Maybe the amazing sealing prayer will not be fully appreciated and missed and without a chance to review it in writing the only thing the kids would remember would be the ridiculous hat the groom is wearing?

I don't know, but to allow kids in to do baptisims and not let them in to sit quietly and see a sealing seems inconsistent and unwarranted.
Seriously, what is your problem?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 03:00 PM   #14
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
mine are too young to be married...they are only 3.5, so they are at least 10 years away from marriage....
10 years seems like the right amount of time for my kids too. They'll be 16 and 12.5. PM me if you would like to work out the deal now. I expect a minimum of 8 cows for my daughter.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:00 PM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Keeping the YM/YW out of temple sealings is p....

I don't know, but to allow kids in to do baptisims and not let them in to sit quietly and see a sealing seems inconsistent and unwarranted.
You're getting classier and classier every day.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 03:08 PM   #16
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Keeping the YM/YW out of temple sealings is particularly stupid IMHO. Maybe if they saw how silly the temple robes looked they would be turned off? Maybe if they realized that Mormon Temple weddings lack the beauty and pageantry of the weddings in the rest of the world and won't want it? Maybe the amazing sealing prayer will not be fully appreciated and missed and without a chance to review it in writing the only thing the kids would remember would be the ridiculous hat the groom is wearing?

Um.....wow.

You know, my posts generally are simple, poor attempts at humor.

But in all seriousness, I don't really appreciate your mocking this stuff. Please have some respect.

I know my post will change nothing and does not require anyone to alter their behavior, but I felt compelled to ask you to tone down the mockery.

You have been asked cordially to please refrain from doing this. Whether you choose to respect the community in which you participate is up to you.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 03:08 PM   #17
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

To answer RC V's question:

No, I would not lie in that circumstance.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 03:11 PM   #18
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Integrity. That's your answer.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 03:11 PM   #19
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

I vote for allowing anyone into sealings as long as they don't smell bad.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 03:12 PM   #20
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Keeping the YM/YW out of temple sealings is particularly stupid IMHO.
I was 13 when both my brothers got married. The first one was married by a bishop in some wedding chapel in Carson City, NV. The second one was married in the temple. I was pretty sad not to be able to see my second brother get married, but I got over it. It wasn't nearly as depressing as the butt ugly bridesmaid dress I had to wear.

Danimal's folks were not at our wedding or reception or open house or anything. His dad was serving as a mission pres at the time and the regional authority did not give either of them permission to go. His dad faxed in a letter to the Oakland temple that morning and our sealer read it to us. It was nice to still have them a part of the event. I would say to someone who has close family or friends who can't attend to take the time to involve them in some way in the wedding, just to ease their disappointment in not being there.