cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2008, 02:41 PM   #11
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
Are you saying that someone giving a blessing can't be inspired to pronounce items that are typically in patriarchal blessing?
Good question. It is a "blessing" afterall.

My pet peeve is when they address the baby by name. As if he/she can understand. I really wish The Church would do something about that, like have Bishops get up, stop the blessing, and correct the blessing giver.

SoonerCoug wants entertainment, let's give it to him.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 02:44 PM   #12
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
I don't think GHOI requires it to be at Church but I think recent direction (letter to Bishops) has limited home blessing to very unusual circumstances.
I believe this is correct. I remember a letter to this effect.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:27 PM   #13
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Blessings at home are very intimate and can be great for a family. They are extremely common. If a bishop won't allow it, it's only because he's being a jerk.

Also, what's wrong with giving a partriarchal style blessing to your child during baby blessing?

Further, what's wrong with addressing the child? That's how they are all done, and I believe that's how we were instructed to do it when the instructions used to be in the back of the priesthood lesson manual. Start by addressing the Father in prayer, naming the baby. Then address the baby and give it a blessing.

What I don't get is why the men rock the baby during the blessing. It's like a roller coaster ride. Do they think they're calming the baby?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:38 PM   #14
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Are baby blessings allowed in the home? I have a friend who wants to bless his child at home and his bishop told him that the handbook says that baby blessings are to be done in church only.

I have never heard this and I have actually seen them in the home before.

Whats your take?
Most of my children have been blessed at home due to family visiting from a far and difficult time lines.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:44 PM   #15
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
Are you saying that someone giving a blessing can't be inspired to pronounce items that are typically in patriarchal blessing?
Uhmmm it is a patriarchial blessing in the sense that it's typically the patriarch of the home who gives the blessing

It's the patriarchal blessing's purpose that is often misunderstood. We recieve the blessing from an ordained patriarch so as to understand our lineage and convenants that have been made with the Lord through that lineage.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:47 PM   #16
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
Uhmmm it is a patriarchial blessing in the sense that it's typically the patriarch of the home who gives the blessing

It's the patriarchal blessing's purpose that is often misunderstood. We recieve the blessing from an ordained patriarch so as to understand our lineage and convenants that have been made with the Lord through that lineage.
In fact it's probably more important for a father to expound in general, while the patriarch should expound on the convenants in a patriarchal blessing.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:48 PM   #17
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
What I don't get is why the men rock the baby during the blessing. It's like a roller coaster ride. Do they think they're calming the baby?
When CardiacCoug blessed his most recent baby, I went up to every person who was going to be in the circle and said: "Please don't bounce the damn baby." Someone started bouncing the baby anyway. Baby rocking during blessings has to be one of the weirdest things we Mormons do.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:51 PM   #18
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
When CardiacCoug blessed his most recent baby, I specifically went up to every person who was going to be in the circle and said: "Please don't bounce the damn baby." Someone started bouncing the baby anyway. Baby rocking during blessings has to be one of the weirdest things we Mormons do.
After having participated in quite a few baby blessings over the years, I have concluded that the rocking is an almost involuntary response to the way the baby is being held. I think the hands move a little and pretty soon everyone is on the same wavelength and the rocking gets stronger. I am serious about this. I don't think people intend for it to happen as frequently or as strongly sa it typically does.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:07 PM   #19
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post

Exactly.

There is a difference between a blessing given by a patriarch to a sentient adult or almost adult and a blessing given by a father to an infant child. Some things should not be included...it is improper.

On the subject of addressing the child or our Heavenly Father, the instruction from the Church is unclear.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 05:39 PM   #20
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
On the subject of addressing the child or our Heavenly Father, the instruction from the Church is unclear.
That just may be the sword upon which I fall.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote