cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2007, 03:07 PM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
Anyone want to take odds on this one being true?

I sure hope it isn't.
I'm pretty dang sure SC stayed right in his seat. I call bulls--t.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 03:09 PM   #12
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I'm pretty dang sure SC stayed right in his seat. I call bulls--t.
SoonerUte could back me up on this if I could ever get her to post.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 03:09 PM   #13
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
A member of our Stake Presidency taught our ward that depression only exists in people who have lost the spirit. I stood up and walked out when he said that.

My opinion: there is not such thing as "lost the spirit" no matter how vile the sinner. If you want the spirit and turn to it, it is there. A person suffering from depression may shut out the spirit or may be unable to feel it. But the spirit sometimes comes to you even when you try to shut it out.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 03:10 PM   #14
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
Anyone want to take odds on this one being true?

I sure hope it isn't.

I heard this comment almost verbatim once before, but it was from a cranky old poop (no, not Archaea) and not a leader. Most people found it distasteful when it was uttered.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:11 PM   #15
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
A member of our Stake Presidency taught our ward that depression only exists in people who have lost the spirit. I stood up and walked out when he said that.
That's just amazing.

You know, stories like this make me shake my head every time I hear people rag on Utah County. I never see stuff like this. Our stake is boring, I guess.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:12 PM   #16
SoonerCoug

I think his point was that being "religious" can help someone overcome depression. I don't agree with him, and the way he worded it was really appalling.

I think religion is equally likely to cause depression, especially when someone feels excessive guilt.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:13 PM   #17
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I think losing the spirit can sometimes be the cause of depression and I think it can also sometimes be the effect of depression. Does that cover all people in all situations? No.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 03:14 PM   #18
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
My opinion: there is not such thing as "lost the spirit" no matter how vile the sinner. If you want the spirit and turn to it, it is there. A person suffering from depression may shut out the spirit or may be unable to feel it. But the spirit sometimes comes to you even when you try to shut it out.

This is a tough one. In order to keep order, consistency, etc., you have to have your leaders in a position where their leadership is unquestioned. If your Captain says charge the hill, you charge it.

I for one believe in a religion there is no place for a democratic vote.

That being said, it is delusional to think that these leaders have all the answers and that anything they say is correct.

My own approach is if they call a meeting during a BYU football game, I have no right to start a protest against it. However, I don't feel one bit of guilt if I personally don't show up to the meeting.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 03:15 PM   #19
SoonerCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
That's just amazing.

You know, stories like this make me shake my head every time I hear people rag on Utah County. I never see stuff like this. Our stake is boring, I guess.
That's what I keep telling my wife. The biggest difference between Utah County and Oklahoma, in my experience, is that if someone says something crazy like that, Utah County folks will call him/her on it.

You get a lot of Mormonism mingled with evangelical fanaticism out here.

On an unrelated note, my favorite testimony that I've heard since moving to Oklahoma was during the first year of the Iraq War, when some lady got up and started talking about how she was so excited about the war because missionaries would be able to go to Iraq, and soon we'd have the "Iraq Baghdad Temple." I kid you not.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:21 PM   #20
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I agree with you Jay, as long as we are talking about before midnight. The Holy Ghost goes to bed at midnight. You can also squeeze him out if you are dancing to close to a girl. You must leave enough room for the Holy Ghost.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote