cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2007, 05:30 PM   #11
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Sorry, I just don't buy it. While I'm sure there are exceptions, absent some hard data, you're not going to get me to believe that surgeries outpace (or even keep pace with) second or third piercings for the 14-24 crowd.
I think you would be surprised at how many in the 18-24 crowd have done it. While I don't think it is as widespread as multiple piercings, I can promise that the numbers would be surprising to you.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 05:31 PM   #12
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
I think you would be surprised at how many in the 18-24 crowd have done it. While I don't think it is as widespread as multiple piercings, I can promise that the numbers would be surprising to you.
Didn't UteStar get implants at a young age?
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 05:34 PM   #13
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
Does anyone have numbers?

Maybe I just grew up in the poor house, but most of the families I knew didn't have a spare couple of grand to spend on their teenage daughter's breasts. But they could easily spare an extra $10 for another piercing.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 05:36 PM   #14
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Does anyone have numbers?]
FTR, I side with the others...the numbers are up there.

But I have checked the medical databases and am having trouble rounding up any official stats.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 05:48 PM   #15
Requiem

Requiem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Sorry, I just don't buy it. While I'm sure there are exceptions, absent some hard data, you're not going to get me to believe that surgeries outpace (or even keep pace with) second or third piercings for the 14-24 crowd.
Understanding your propensity for nitpicking as a diversionary artifice, please review this 2006 data from the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery:

http://www.surgery.org/download/2006stats.pdf

Note on page 7 that there were 11.5 million cosmetic procedures in the U.S. - a 446% increase over the past decade.

There are no comparable statistics for the annual frequency of piercings other than those from the NCBI claiming that 14% of Americans have body piercings:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/en...RVAbstractPlus

The point is simply that the prevalence of cosmetic surgery in the U.S. is rapidly increasing and is certainly a more common phenomenon than you infer.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 05:49 PM   #16
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
FTR, I side with the others...the numbers are up there.

But I have checked the medical databases and am having trouble rounding up any official stats.
Likewise I can't seem to find any statistics on ear piercing, to say nothing of multiple piercing.

Lest I be backed into an argument I'm not making ... I'm not saying it doesn't happen, or even that it doesn't happen frequently. I'm just saying it's not significant relative to the number of LDS girls with their ears pierced. Ergo, one possible reason Hinckley didn't mention it.

Frankly it surprises me that I'm in the minority with this view.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:53 PM   #17
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Understanding your propensity for nitpicking as a diversionary artifice, ...
My my ... even Requiem has jumped on the anti-Tex bandwagon. You'll certainly fit in on CG. As to nitpicking, I think you have me confused with Cali Coug.

As to the rest of your points, I refer you to my previous post.

EDIT:

From your first link:

"In 2006, there were 3,087 procedures performed on women under 18 and under, just under 1 percent of the total number of breast augmentations. Only one-half of 1 percent of the total number of breast augmentation procedures were performed on women 18 and under for purely cosmetic bilateral breast enlargement."

Somehow I think there were far more than 3,087 ear piercings for women under 18 in the US, and please note that more than half of those 3,087 were for non-cosmetic reasons.

Last edited by Tex; 07-24-2007 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:21 PM   #18
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It was started by me, but since you had me on ignore you probably didn't see it. Of course, if you're still ignoring me, you won't see this post either.

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10016
Thanks for posting the link. I was late for class and couldn't hunt around for it.

If the rationale is just "follow the prophet" (as Bednar seems to assert at a BYU devotional from May 2005:

Quote:
"Sister Bednar and I are acquainted with a returned missionary who had dated a special young woman for a period of time. He cared for her very much, and he was desirous of making his relationship with her more serious. He was considering and hoping for engagement and marriage. This relationship was developing during the time that President Hinckley counseled the Relief Society sisters and young women of the Church to wear only one earring in each ear.

The young man waited patiently over a period of time for the young woman to remove her extra earrings, but she did not take them out. This was a valuable piece of information for this young man, and he felt unsettled about her nonresponsiveness to a prophet’s pleading. For this and other reasons, he ultimately stopped dating the young woman, because he was looking for an eternal companion who had the courage to promptly and quietly obey the counsel of the prophet in all things and at all times. The young man was quick to observe that the young woman was not quick to observe.

I presume that some of you might have difficulty with my last example. You may believe the young man was too judgmental or that basing an eternally important decision, even in part, upon such a supposedly minor issue is silly or fanatical. Perhaps you are bothered because the example focuses upon a young woman who failed to respond to prophetic counsel instead of upon a young man. I simply invite you to consider and ponder the power of being quick to observe and what was actually observed in the case I just described. The issue was not earrings!")
http://www.lds.org/portal/site/LDSOr...____&hideNav=1

then, the action (removing earrings) is irrelevant to the broader concept (obedience). Besides the generalized, "take care of your bodies" mantra, there is no rationale.

GBH might as well have ordered us to eat three apples a day, or to floss between meals, since obedience is more important than rationale.

How Mosaic.

IMO, if we were truly concerned about protecting our sacred bodies, we would have much more direction on things like (elective) plastic surgery. But, since it seems to be more an attempt to foster uniformity and obedience, the earrings admonition is as good of a rule as any.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:40 PM   #19
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

FWIW, in the area of chestal augmentation (I didn't read all of the other thread, did we decide what we are supposed to call them?), at least two in my ward.

My wife disputes one of these, but I have a better eye for these things than she does.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 07:40 PM   #20
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Solon, that quote is a classic. I had to click the link to make sure it wasn't a lampoon. Lucky for the girl she kept two earrings in each ear. (Personally, I don't like piercings, but the issue is not the earrings!)

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote