cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2007, 05:50 AM   #11
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
Stinky Pinky, Dipstick, Loser, and PooPoo are my names for the Teletubbies (Tinky Winky, Dipsy, LaaLaa, Po). You are definitely in the minority if you like Tubbies.

The first time I saw that vacuum cleaner thingy I thought the show was completly lame. However, it wasn't until after I saw the tubbies hold their stomachs like an alien was about to burst out then receive a TV transmission on the set embedded into their bellies that I decided to ban it in our house for anyone 2 years old and up.

I don't mind the smiling sunshine baby though.
awwwww. time for tubbie bye bye for you.

Watching these shows does cause problems for me because when I am trying to concentrate I hear their theme songs going constantly. So when i am writing a test I might be hearing "I love you" by Barney or the theme song of Zooboomafoo or some other such tune. Several times I have wondered how long I can maintain some semblance of sanity with this business going on.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 06:46 AM   #12
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

I babysat my niece for a bit over Christmas and I watched more Backyardigans and Wonder Pets than I ever cared to. Lilo & Stitch is on a loop too. You can't even hide the DVD from this girl. She's 15 months and she can pick Lilo & Stitch out by it's spine mixed in with 200 DVDs in an organizer, no lie.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 07:05 AM   #13
Parrot Head

Parrot Head is an unknown quantity at this point

My daughter is 18 mos. and fortunately, we haven't really gotten her into TV. She has a signing video that she likes (teach your kids sign language -- it's like talking except without words) and she'll watch some PTI with me. We watch some Latino gameshows for the music and she liked the Westminster AKC show this week, but we aren't using it as a babysitter yet.

- Bronco, when asked how to describe PH
Parrot Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 01:31 PM   #14
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

My son does not watch any shows. We usually check out a kids or science movie from the library and he'll watch it a couple of times, but mostly he'd rather play. My daughter, 17 months, hasn't been introduced to the TV yet. Her main interest is playing with the remote and shoving her toys into the VCR.

My son used to watch Barney and personally I don't find it any more annoying than any other kids show.

I have always liked Reading Rainbow, but I don't think our PBS station carries it here. I also think Between the Lions is cute.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:12 PM   #15
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
I also think Between the Lions is cute.
Between the Lions is a great show!! We even have a few of the videos.

Reading Rainbow airs on our PBS station, but they're still showing the same episodes they were showing when I was a kid.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 02:49 PM   #16
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

The Upside Down show is hands down the strangest and funnest show on tv. I believe it's Australian and it is brilliant.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 02:51 PM   #17
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I like SpongeBob. The Backyardigans is OK except for that crazy song/melody gets into my head and I can't get it out. Blues clues isn't too bad for the 3-4 year olds. I don't mind Dora although I don't understand the purpose of the Big Red Chicken.

Lame shows:
Cat-dog (what the hell is that?)

Shows I absolutely won't let my kids watch:
- Rugrats (If my kids acted like that I would be giving ev would give every one of them a whipping with my belt)
- Telletubbies (OK, maybe for a kid < 18 mo. old but this show is so stupid that I won't let my kids watch it once they turn 2. Fortunately, all of my kids have outgrown it)
- Whoopies Littleburg - (Aside from the fact that it is completely lame, just having Whoopie Goldberg in it is reason enough to ban it)

My older girls (11, 9) are starting to like a lot of that "tweener" stuff. I don't know the names of those kind of shows - they all look like variations of "Saved By the Bell" to me.

When I was a kid, I was allowed to watch Sesame Street but not Electric Company. I don't know why Electric Company was outlawed.
SpongeBob and Dora are pretty cool. My wife banned Rugrats. Telletubbies is just creepy, like nightmarish creepy. I think a great Twilight Zone would be someone being stuck in Telletubby land. I'm getting cold chills.

Thomas the Tank is cool just because it features Ringo Starr, George Carlin and Alec Baldwin (the motivator--ABC and AIDA) as Mr. Conductor.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 05:25 PM   #18
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Between the Lions is a great show!! We even have a few of the videos.

Reading Rainbow airs on our PBS station, but they're still showing the same episodes they were showing when I was a kid.
Are those the ones with Geordi LaForge in them?
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 06:07 PM   #19
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Are those the ones with Geordi LaForge in them?
No, Kunta Kinta ... or however it's spelled.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 06:10 PM   #20
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
My son does not watch any shows. We usually check out a kids or science movie from the library and he'll watch it a couple of times, but mostly he'd rather play. My daughter, 17 months, hasn't been introduced to the TV yet. Her main interest is playing with the remote and shoving her toys into the VCR.

My son used to watch Barney and personally I don't find it any more annoying than any other kids show.

I have always liked Reading Rainbow, but I don't think our PBS station carries it here. I also think Between the Lions is cute.

My daughter, Detroit, thought that only sports and news came on the TV until she was 3 since I was a home dad. But one day while I was out, my wife showed her Dora. SO then she knew about the existence of cartoons and it was all downhill. I still curse my wife for that.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote