cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2008, 08:38 PM   #11
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
My MP was from Idaho, btw. And I support his rule. And I was always frown when my wife schedules the missionaries for dinner.
Obviously my MP had that rule and I missed the ward Christmas Party (on Christmas) due to it, and instead went out tracting as it snowed. I kept expecting we would meet "the Golden Investigator." Didn't happen.

Sometimes I didn't use the best judgement as a missionary.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:38 PM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
I agree that there is plenty of time wasted "camping," but it seems like a more effective way of enforcing something like this is to have the elders follow dinner up with a lesson (like they're doing in my ward now - the equivalent of the discussions) but make sure that they are limited to an hour for the whole thing or something. I'm just not sure it is a good thing to have a black and white policy on this kind of thing, when it is the only chance the missionaries have to build relationships with ward members and gain their trust.
The reason I don't have the missionaries over to teach an investigator, is because I don't have a friend who is an investigator.

I can't remember the last time I met someone who said "I'm looking for a church" or "I'm looking for a spiritual experience".

Bad times are going to come eventually. And then things will change.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:40 PM   #13
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

That's why we need Romney to get elected; so missionary work can get that needed boost.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:40 PM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
That's why we need Romney to get elected; so missionary work can get that needed boost.
We need a better social product to take advantage of peoples' interest.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:45 PM   #15
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The reason I don't have the missionaries over to teach an investigator, is because I don't have a friend who is an investigator.

I can't remember the last time I met someone who said "I'm looking for a church" or "I'm looking for a spiritual experience".

Bad times are going to come eventually. And then things will change.
But if you did have a friend who was investigating and you were performing your "every member a missionary" duties, would you let the missionaries teach your friend if you didn't know the missionaries at all and hadn't interacted with them?
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:46 PM   #16
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

The biggest problem IMO is that the church allows wards/branches to get too big. The sense of community and cooperation works better with smaller unit sizes. People just get lost in the crowd with larger units.

That said, the resulting large increase in the number of units from such a change would put an enormous strain on the church to build enough buildings to house them all.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:48 PM   #17
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The biggest problem IMO is that the church allows wards/branches to get too big. The sense of community and cooperation works better with smaller unit sizes. People just get lost in the crowd with larger units.

That said, the resulting large increase in the number of units from such a change would put an enormous strain on the church to build enough buildings to house them all.
Very good observations.

In Utah or perhaps Idaho, wards seem to function well as they tend to mirror the community at large.

Outside of those regions, I'm not certain they do.

How to maintain a good use of resources, while promoting a sense of community.

What is a reasonable expectation to have?
Old 01-03-2008, 08:51 PM   #18
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
But if you did have a friend who was investigating and you were performing your "every member a missionary" duties, would you let the missionaries teach your friend if you didn't know the missionaries at all and hadn't interacted with them?
None of my friends live in my ward. So there is the whole ownership issue. Which missionaries would teach? Where would they attend?

It's a mess. Loosening up the rules would help fellowship a ton.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:52 PM   #19
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:

There is likely truth to this, but being in urban wards for the past 10 years or so, I've not experienced it. My stake is the same size as it was probably 15 years ago.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:55 PM   #20
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
None of my friends live in my ward. So there is the whole ownership issue. Which missionaries would teach? Where would they attend?

It's a mess. Loosening up the rules would help fellowship a ton.
Well, at that point you follow the spirit of the law...or you do your best with the opportunity the Lord has presented you. But I see your point.
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote