cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How much will McCain lose by?
1% or less. 2 11.11%
2-5% 2 11.11%
5-10% 7 38.89%
10% or more. 4 22.22%
I am in denial. 3 16.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-14-2008, 03:38 PM   #11
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
I don't see Hillary winning at all. Which states do you think will turn blue?
NM, NV, CO, LA, MO, OH and FL
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:32 PM   #12
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

McCain is the only guy that we could possibly lose to. Ya'll should be thankful that you have a chance. The fact that he won the nomination relatively easily should tell you all you need to know about the status of the conservative movement and the (percieved) damage that GWB has done to it.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:38 PM   #13
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
McCain is the only guy that we could possibly lose to. Ya'll should be thankful that you have a chance. The fact that he won the nomination relatively easily should tell you all you need to know about the status of the conservative movement and the (percieved) damage that GWB has done to it.
Heh, I don't think it's nearly so cut-and-dried. We didn't realize it at the time, but what really killed 2008 conservative candidates was 2006. The backlash of the '06 election has hurt, perhaps more than any other single factor.

Hopefully it's a lesson to Republicans who departed from the party ideology that got them there.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:46 PM   #14
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Heh, I don't think it's nearly so cut-and-dried. We didn't realize it at the time, but what really killed 2008 conservative candidates was 2006. The backlash of the '06 election has hurt, perhaps more than any other single factor.

Hopefully it's a lesson to Republicans who departed from the party ideology that got them there.
Well, 2006 seemed an awful lot like a culmination of a decade or so in power, combined with the spectacular unpopularity of GWB. As an outsider and disbeliever of the orthodox conservative ideology it also seemed like the fruition and fulfillment of an ideology that is indistinct and frankly, when in full or partial effect, unpopular with all but a fraction of the voting public.

But that may be wishful thinking on my part.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 05:09 PM   #15
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
Well, 2006 seemed an awful lot like a culmination of a decade or so in power, combined with the spectacular unpopularity of GWB. As an outsider and disbeliever of the orthodox conservative ideology it also seemed like the fruition and fulfillment of an ideology that is indistinct and frankly, when in full or partial effect, unpopular with all but a fraction of the voting public.

But that may be wishful thinking on my part.
Indeed, since conservatism has ruled the nation, in full or in part, for most of the last 30 years. Hard to say the same of any other ideology, especially liberalism.

2006 was a rejection of Republicans by Republicans. Had more R's turned out to vote for their man, Nancy and Harry would still be in the minority. While I detest the idea of Speaker Pelosi and President Hillary (or President McCain, for that matter), these things go in cycles. I have no doubt we'll rediscover our conservative footing after a setback or two.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 02-14-2008 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:24 PM   #16
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
McCain wins in November. You heard it here first.

Now I see Dan didn't vote for Hillary as a strategic move to help the most vulnreable democrat take Virginia. He likes them democrats.
Oh I'll pull the lever for McCain, but I think it will do about as much good as pulling the lever for Hillary did on Tuesday.

McCain is very hawkish not just on Iraq but also on Iran. I don't think the distaste (though I believe it to be at least a little irrational) for the application of military power can be underestimated. The democrat machine has not begun to paint McCain as "four more years of the same" in earnest yet, but it will and it will be effective.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:50 PM   #17
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

The 100 year quote will kill McCain.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 05:52 PM   #18
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

If Obama is the nominee, I predict the biggest landslide victory in over 100 years.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:07 PM   #19
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
If Obama is the nominee, I predict the biggest landslide victory in over 100 years.
You do realize that in 1984, hallowed be that year, Mondale carrried only Minnesota and the District of Columbia, don't you?

McCain could pick Huckabee and still do better than that.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:10 PM   #20
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
Evidence that a man's historical perspective begins with the day he was born.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young