cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2007, 05:16 PM   #11
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
Utah has been far better than BYU all year at creating TOs. It's my biggest worry going into the game.

And who cares if Utah needs trick plays in order to win? If trick plays help you win, isn't that the point of playing the game? Isn't a play action pass a trick play? Are teams not supposed to use play action passes? How about an end around?
Trick plays are a part of the game, but I was under the impression that PAP was talking about more obvious trick plays, like flea flickers, etc. It's his M. O. to make comments like that.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:18 PM   #12
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
Isn't a play action pass a trick play? Are teams not supposed to use play action passes? How about an end around?
And don't forget the pump fake. The pump fake is a trick play for gimmick offenses.
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:21 PM   #13
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Trick plays are a part of the game, but I was under the impression that PAP was talking about more obvious trick plays, like flea flickers, etc. It's his M. O. to make comments like that.
I'm not sure what he was referring to, but my point is that they are part of the game as you just mentioned. Even the more "obvious" trick plays like flea flickers, fake punts/FGs, etc are part of the game just as the more common trick plays like bootlegs, end arounds and play action passes are part of the game.

I just don't understand the fuss over trick plays or why some people like to think that they cheapen a win.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:22 PM   #14
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the opening line was BYU - 4.5. So if you take away HFA, it's basically a pick'em, as far as the line goes.
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:22 PM   #15
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballrollin View Post
And don't forget the pump fake. The pump fake is a trick play for gimmick offenses.
exactly. Any team whose QB uses a pump fake, can't win straight up so they have to resort to that "garbage".

Last edited by smokymountainrain; 11-20-2007 at 05:27 PM.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:23 PM   #16
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballrollin View Post
I think the opening line was BYU - 4.5. So if you take away HFA, it's basically a pick'em, as far as the line goes.
3 points for homefield, so -1.5, which rounds up to 2, so 33-31 sounds good to me.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:16 PM   #17
Insensitive PAP

Insensitive PAP

I don't care that they use trick plays. I'm just saying that Utah can't beat us by playing straight forward football. We have an advantage in straight up physical confrontation. It's not a slam on Utah. I'm just saying they can't just line up and run it down our throats or rely on Johnson to just drop back and pick out WRs. Misdirection is a big factor of their success. They don't have a gamebreaker like Casteel or Ganther in the line up that can't whip you with his athleticism.

On the other side, I'll be really surprised if BYU runs many trick plays. It's just not a big part of how we play. We rarely even runs screens, and almost never run reverses or throw backs. What you see is what you get with BYU. We just try to come at you with a game speed that you aren't used to and hope to execute our offense better than you execute your defense.
Insensitive PAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:59 PM   #18
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insensitive PAP View Post
I don't care that they use trick plays. I'm just saying that Utah can't beat us by playing straight forward football. We have an advantage in straight up physical confrontation. It's not a slam on Utah. I'm just saying they can't just line up and run it down our throats or rely on Johnson to just drop back and pick out WRs. Misdirection is a big factor of their success. They don't have a gamebreaker like Casteel or Ganther in the line up that can't whip you with his athleticism.

On the other side, I'll be really surprised if BYU runs many trick plays. It's just not a big part of how we play. We rarely even runs screens, and almost never run reverses or throw backs. What you see is what you get with BYU. We just try to come at you with a game speed that you aren't used to and hope to execute our offense better than you execute your defense.
Marquis Wilson is a deep ball threat. If last years game didn't make that clear, I don't know what would.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:48 PM   #19
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Marquis Wilson is a deep ball threat. If last years game didn't make that clear, I don't know what would.
So is Wesson and Jereme Brooks. Utah has guys that can beat the BYU secondary, I just don't think we have a QB that can beat them so it doesn't really matter.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 07:52 PM   #20
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
So is Wesson and Jereme Brooks. Utah has guys that can beat the BYU secondary, I just don't think we have a QB that can beat them so it doesn't really matter.
Agreed on Brooks...I've only seen them use Wesson on running plays so I don't know about him, but I've heard he's very fast so I can believe it.