cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2007, 03:16 PM   #11
OrangeUte

OrangeUte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Aw c'mon. I will be shocked if we don't we at least two of those games you mention. 3 of the 4 are at home. Let's say we both overrate our own teams. Still, I think BYU wins 2 of the remaining 3. I don't want to debate the Utah game and just realize as a loyal fan you threw the Utes in with them.
I think we will have to wait and see, my cougar friend! I throw in the Utes b/c it is a rivalry game only. I think that the Utes are in a much more precarious position than BYU b/c we are really relying on only 1 running back (asiata) and he has missed most of camp with an injury. The Utes' receivers are going to be good, but if we have no running game (or if Johnson is our leading rusher), then it will be a very long year with only 6-7 wins.
OrangeUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 03:17 PM   #12
OrangeUte

OrangeUte is on a distinguished road

and don't even get me started on my concerns about the Utes' defensive backs... that keeps me up at night in cold sweats.
OrangeUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 03:30 PM   #13
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I see so many optimistic predictions, despite the fact we have a new unproven quarterback.

History tells us that new quarterbacks usually struggle.

How good is Hall going to be? And if he is the usual first year QB are we saying that the rest of the team is good enough to make up for it?
Anyone with any faith in Max Hall is either critically unaware of college football or just plain dumb.

I expect and I am convinced Max Hall will struggle.

However, I do have faith in this team and believe that Max Hall is stepping into the most favorable circumstances for a new starting qb at BYU is a very long time. Probably not since Detmer.

I am even concerned about the coaching staff. This is their first time of throwing a new guy out to the wolves. From QB coach to OC to HC. I think these men have established that they are not idiots and the team has a distinct talent advantage over all but 4 of the its opponents, but there is significant innexperience at enough levels that I find it partially looney to expect more than 8 victories.

But these are the fans of the BYU and every good year is ushering yet another period of domination. That is not to say that another period of domination is completely impossible, but history and logic teaches us that BYU is likely to not be a powerhouse this year.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:59 PM   #14
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Anyone with any faith in Max Hall is either critically unaware of college football or just plain dumb.

I expect and I am convinced Max Hall will struggle.

However, I do have faith in this team and believe that Max Hall is stepping into the most favorable circumstances for a new starting qb at BYU is a very long time. Probably not since Detmer.

I am even concerned about the coaching staff. This is their first time of throwing a new guy out to the wolves. From QB coach to OC to HC. I think these men have established that they are not idiots and the team has a distinct talent advantage over all but 4 of the its opponents, but there is significant innexperience at enough levels that I find it partially looney to expect more than 8 victories.

But these are the fans of the BYU and every good year is ushering yet another period of domination. That is not to say that another period of domination is completely impossible, but history and logic teaches us that BYU is likely to not be a powerhouse this year.
I am glad you said partially looney. That leaves you an out doesn't it. Just so we all know, you are on record as BYU winning 8 or less, right?

I think it is possible BYU will go 11-1 this year and I wouldn't consider them a powerhouse. If they did, some would cry and moan if we didn't get a BCS game. I wouldn't be one of them.

We play in a weak conference. We have scheduled a bottom of the rung Az. game at home. The tough teams in our weak conference are at home and we have scheduled that powerhouse from the NW, Eastern Washington at home.

I am predicting 10-2 and sticking to it. That record though by no means indicates to me we are a powerhouse. It would be evidence that the coaches are doing a better than average job and I think they will.

By the way. If our schedule were reversed, I might be elated with an 8 win season.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 05:16 PM   #15
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
I am glad you said partially looney. That leaves you an out doesn't it. Just so we all know, you are on record as BYU winning 8 or less, right?

I think it is possible BYU will go 11-1 this year and I wouldn't consider them a powerhouse. If they did, some would cry and moan if we didn't get a BCS game. I wouldn't be one of them.

We play in a weak conference. We have scheduled a bottom of the rung Az. game at home. The tough teams in our weak conference are at home and we have scheduled that powerhouse from the NW, Eastern Washington at home.

I am predicting 10-2 and sticking to it. That record though by no means indicates to me we are a powerhouse. It would be evidence that the coaches are doing a better than average job and I think they will.

By the way. If our schedule were reversed, I might be elated with an 8 win season.
Do I think BYU winning 10 games is possible? Yes.

Do I think they will? No.

I think BYU goes 8-4 this year and if they do better I will be happier than a clam in mud.

I think my comments on looniness was folks not expecting Max Hall to struggle. I think your prediction about BYU winning 10 games has more to do with those surrounding Max than Max himeself, which I believe I articulated well enough that every board participant not already on the senile curve recognized. I think it was along the words that Max Hall enters his tenure as the BYU qb under the most favorable circumstances I can recall since Saint Detmer came along and was soon recognized as college football's most outstanding player.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:22 PM   #16
BYU71

Quote:
Do I think BYU winning 10 games is possible? Yes.

Do I think they will? No.

I think BYU goes 8-4 this year and if they do better I will be happier than a clam in mud.

I think my comments on looniness was folks not expecting Max Hall to struggle. I think your prediction about BYU winning 10 games has more to do with those surrounding Max than Max himeself, which I believe I articulated well enough that every board participant not already on the senile curve recognized. I think it was along the words that Max Hall enters his tenure as the BYU qb under the most favorable circumstances I can recall since Saint Detmer came along and was soon recognized as college football's most outstanding player.
Even a senile old man can spot someone talking in "on one hand, but on the other hand" type speak.

"On one hand Max is entering into the best situation since Ty Detmer, however on the other hand there is significant enough inexperience at enough levels as to consider looney.........", or something like that. Sounds like something out of the mouth of a John Kerry or Mitt Romney speech writer. I thought they would be real good before I didn't think they would be real good.

Hey Mitt, 8-4 is a good pick, not any better than 10-2 though.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:38 PM   #17
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Even a senile old man can spot someone talking in "on one hand, but on the other hand" type speak.

"On one hand Max is entering into the best situation since Ty Detmer, however on the other hand there is significant enough inexperience at enough levels as to consider looney.........", or something like that. Sounds like something out of the mouth of a John Kerry or Mitt Romney speech writer. I thought they would be real good before I didn't think they would be real good.

Hey Mitt, 8-4 is a good pick, not any better than 10-2 though.
Kiss my young ass!
Old 08-27-2007, 06:53 PM   #18
BYU71

Quote:
Kiss my young ass!
LOL, I have kissed many a butt in my day, but they always had something I wanted.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:58 AM   #19
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

It's up to you to decide why you should or shouldn't have confidence in the guy....but if he struggles mightily in his first two games against the 2 fastest defenses he'll play all year........4 years after taking his first snap in a live game........it'd probably be wise to cut him some slack,,,,and let him develop over the course of the season before making a rational and realistic assessment of what the guy can do.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:24 AM   #20
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

The only reason I'm slightly optimistic about Max Hall is the anecdotal reports of Arizona football experts saying that Hall is the best football player they have ever seen play in the state of Arizona.

And as good as Beck was, I think that Beck may have lacked an element of fire that Detmer had and Max Hall may also have.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote