cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2007, 10:57 PM   #11
Insensitive PAP

Insensitive PAP
Default agree with this post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I started hating the Utes from

a. went to home BYU-Utah games and despised the U fans there who seemed to always be confrontational, foul-mouthed, arrogant jerks picking fights, displaying anti-LDS behavior and what not
b. worked in Salt Lake and Ute fan stereotype was reinforced by the majority of Ute fans I worked with, being anti-LDS, goatee wearing jerks
c. Ute fans I interacted with on CB like SeattleUte and TopUte seemed to reinforce this

Lately it's been more difficult for me to hate the Utes as I've become very good friends with a Ute fan who's a salt of the earth guy, and hard to admit but most all the Ute fans here are really decent guys (SeattleUte obvious exception).

Board reaction after a win or loss of rival means next to nothing. It does pain me reading Ute fans taunt Cougar fans after our loss, though.

I endorse this post from top to bottom.

I actually like many Utah fans, it's just the ones with a chip on their shoulder that I despise. Most Ute fans I know become more and more bearable the longer they are away from the State of Utah.
Insensitive PAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:43 AM   #12
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Growing up in Idaho, I wasn't really privy to how intense the rivalry is. My dad used to take me to all the home games, and I hated the Utes when we played them, but no more than any other team we played. I cheered like crazy for them when they went to the Final Four.

Now that I live in Utah, I have a lot of friends who are Ute fans. And frankly, I can think of more BYU fans that I know who I think are pricks than Ute fans that are that way.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:51 AM   #13
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
If anything, I think message boards may have made me more sympathetic to Ute fans. This is really the only board that I have ever followed and there are very few, if any, Ute fans that are pricks that hang out here.

It kind of takes the fun out of it, I suppose. Its hard to hate the enemy when you consider some of them your "friends", in a weird cyber-net, never-met-them-before-and-probably-never-will, sort of way.
These are my sentiments as well. Being a part of a community, even if it is an online community, of folks who enjoy sports as much as I do has softened my thoughts of Cougar fans. I've really come to understand that there is a difference between a Cougar fan and a zoob.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:14 AM   #14
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
These are my sentiments as well. Being a part of a community, even if it is an online community, of folks who enjoy sports as much as I do has softened my thoughts of Cougar fans. I've really come to understand that there is a difference between a Cougar fan and a zoob.
I have to admit that I like all of the Ute fans here at CG. It's probably a good thing I never go to utefans.net.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:05 AM   #15
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I have to admit that I like all of the Ute fans here at CG. It's probably a good thing I never go to utefans.net.
utefans.net is a lot like cougarboard, but with Democrats instead of Republicans. Lots and lots of zoots there.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:15 AM   #16
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

If message boards didn't exist I would have no idea the extent of Ute fan misbehavior toward innocent female Cougar fans attending the game with their young children.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:56 AM   #17
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road

Most of the BYU fans I knew before I got on the boards were douchebags.

Maybe they are good people at other times but when we spoke about sports and it became apparent that I am a Ute fan I felt that they would always turn into some sort of total douchebag. Perhaps I never met any Ute fans like this because they never felt the need to be a douchebag to one of their own kind.

Since I've been on the boards I've met several fans from both sides that are good people and seen some that are douchebags. I've noticed that this appreciation for both sides has extended beyond the web and I have now made some friends at school who are legitimate BYU fanatics but have avoided the vinegar and water bath...

To sum up... Douchebag....
DirtyHippieUTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:48 PM   #18
OrangeUte

OrangeUte is on a distinguished road

My impression of Cougarguard is that its members are really more interested in discussing the sports and having an intelligent conversation about the rivalry. It is a very fun rivalry, but gets abused often, mostly on cougarboard and utefan boards. There it degenerates into name calling and emotion - here it is kept light and fun and intelligent.

The only drawback to this board is that because of the limitations of written word to convey tongue in cheek and sarcastic comments, there are times that comments are taken out of their meant context.
OrangeUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:03 PM   #19
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
The only drawback to this board is that because of the limitations of written word to convey tongue in cheek and sarcastic comments, there are times that comments are taken out of their meant context.
Dude, you are such a retard! That's what the freakin' smilie faces are for!
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:54 PM   #20
HuskyFreeNorthwest

HuskyFreeNorthwest is an unknown quantity at this point

I probably like Utah more because of the message boards than I did pre-boards. Before message boards it was too easy to paint all Utes as mullet wearing, mustache having, beer swilling red necks. Now I realize that not all of you have mustaches.
HuskyFreeNorthwest is offline   Reply With Quote