cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2010, 05:39 AM   #11
JJS

JJS is on a distinguished road

Interesting article.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3...ence-expansion

I don't know how academics fit into all of this. Also, as a college football fan I tend to think of conference expansions only in terms of football. I don't know how this would affect other sports.
JJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:45 PM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...big-12-country

This is an article on TCU's supposed resurgence in popular support in DFW. I would have liked to see some actual hard numbers to back this up.

Certainly there was an uptick this year in interest in TCU in the area. But I don't think they are anywhere near capturing the market like Texas, Oklahoma, and A&M do (in order of importance).
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:22 PM   #13
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

A Pitt message board is reporting Pitt will be invited to join the Big 10 on Friday. Interesting.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:13 PM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
A Pitt message board is reporting Pitt will be invited to join the Big 10 on Friday. Interesting.
that's bad news for BYU. If a team from the Big 12 were to be selected for the Big 10 (Missouri), then the dominoes might fall towards BYU going to the Big 12 or Pac 10 (obviously Big 12 would be more likely).

If the Big East replaces Pitt, it's not likely to impact BYU directly.

The question is whether the Pac 10 will respond by expanding. It just seems unlikely that BYU would be invited. I suppose you could see something like Colorado and Utah getting invited, and then possibly BYU joining the Big 12 to replace Colorado.

It would be interesting to see if the political forces that exist in Utah (i.e. the church) will allow Utah and BYU to part ways.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:02 PM   #15
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
It would be interesting to see if the political forces that exist in Utah (i.e. the church) will allow Utah and BYU to part ways.
Suppose Utah gets a Pac-10 invite but not BYU. I think the Pac-10 would be thrilled for Utah to keep its November rivalry game, because it would mean one less cold weather game in Salt Lake City. And moreover, Florida and Florida State have been successfully ending the season together for years, showing that inter-conference rivalries remain alive.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:21 PM   #16
MikeWaters
Demiurge

It's easy to support one team getting left behind when it is your team that is not being left behind.

I can imagine the long faces if something improbable were to happen, like BYU getting a Pac 10 invite and Utah not.

Honestly the best situation would be if both schools went to the Pac 10. However my preference, for selfish and personal reasons, would be for BYU to go the Big 12. Go to the heartland.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:16 PM   #17
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
that's bad news for BYU. If a team from the Big 12 were to be selected for the Big 10 (Missouri), then the dominoes might fall towards BYU going to the Big 12 or Pac 10 (obviously Big 12 would be more likely).

If the Big East replaces Pitt, it's not likely to impact BYU directly.

The question is whether the Pac 10 will respond by expanding. It just seems unlikely that BYU would be invited. I suppose you could see something like Colorado and Utah getting invited, and then possibly BYU joining the Big 12 to replace Colorado.

It has less of an impact immediately, but it could still be good for BYU. The Big East would replace Pitt (they have to- you have to have 8 teams to be a conference), and my guess is they take Central Florida. That waters down the Big East even more, and all Pitt records then go to the Big 10 for the BCS review period. The Big East is then clearly worse than the MWC and I think the MWC replaces the Big East as a BCS conference. The Pac 10 may then try and expand, but I think they only expand if they can get Colorado and Utah. If they take Colorado, I like BYU's odds for the Big 12 (over TCU- I can't see the Big 12 taking another Texas team).

In the near term though, I would guess BYU and Utah stay in the MWC and the MWC becomes an auto bid conference.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:33 PM   #18
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I would like there to be a minimum floor for all conferences. If the Big East champ isn't ranked above #x, then the spot opens up.