cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you want to tailgate?!
Yes, tailgating is a blast and necessary to being a TRUE BLUE fan... 6 30.00%
Maybe, I'd like to tailgate and see what the fuss is all about.. 6 30.00%
No, I don't tailgate because I live out of state. 7 35.00%
No, It's not an effective use of ones time.... 1 5.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-22-2007, 07:27 PM   #11
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

I still don't understand the fascination with tailgating. Granted the closest I've been to a BYU game in a decade was in Reno at the beginning of the end. We went to the alumni assocation "tailgate" and enjoyed it for about 45 seconds and were then bored out of our minds. The idea of being outside for 4-5 hours BEFORE a 4 hour game has absolutely no appeal to me. I'd much rather be out on a bike ride or mowing the lawn in the morning and run inside the stadium just in time for kickoff.

BYU games Lebowski-style is more my style.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:29 PM   #12
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post
Some tailgating requires alcholic beverages. I've often wondered what BYU tailgating would be like if we started drinking beer this season. I for one think it would be hilarious!
I for one am interested in the idea of a stadium full of 50,000 sober fans. It must be nice. I'd imagine you could actually, like, take kids to the game without worrying as much about what they'd see/hear. I won't take my son to the games here because of the language.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:34 PM   #13
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
I still don't understand the fascination with tailgating. Granted the closest I've been to a BYU game in a decade was in Reno at the beginning of the end. We went to the alumni assocation "tailgate" and enjoyed it for about 45 seconds and were then bored out of our minds. The idea of being outside for 4-5 hours BEFORE a 4 hour game has absolutely no appeal to me. I'd much rather be out on a bike ride or mowing the lawn in the morning and run inside the stadium just in time for kickoff.

Tailgates put on by the alumni association blow. We went to the USC, Stanford, Arizona, etc. tailgates... while it's cool to see all the BYU fans at the opposing stadium, there's nothing really fun to do. That's why tailgating is all about who you do it with and what you have to eat. Our food IMO is awesome. It's also fun to be able to chat with some of my friends I don't get to see on a regular basis. It's nice to beat the game day traffic, there is nothing worse than being within a mile of the stadium know it's going to take 30-45 minutes to park and run into the stadium. Another part of tailgating I really enjoy are the sights and smells of LaVell Edwards Stadium on gameday. Tailgating also generates a lot of comraderie between fans... I could go on...

I will say though Saturday rides are a lot of fun. There are only 6 games a year when you can tailgate at LES, so I plan my yard work, rides, etc. accordingly.

Bubba

PS
What is Lebowski-style tailgating?
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.

Last edited by bYuPride; 05-22-2007 at 07:45 PM.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:39 PM   #14
bluegoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post
PS
What is Lebowski-style tailgating?
I think it was Lebowski who once mentioned that he usually hops on the motorcycle 10 minutes before gametime, rides up near the gates, and then runs inside just in time for kickoff.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:40 PM   #15
bYuPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
I for one am interested in the idea of a stadium full of 50,000 sober fans. It must be nice. I'd imagine you could actually, like, take kids to the game without worrying as much about what they'd see/hear. I won't take my son to the games here because of the language.
You know what's funny is one of the reasons I'm a BYU fan today is because of the University of Utah fans. My dad grew up going to Utah games because he and his family lived in Salt Lake. He wasn't a Ute fan per se, but he definitely attended more U games than BYU to be sure. When my older brothers and sisters expressed interest in going to some college football games, it didn't take more than a couple games before my dad decided we will be going down to BYU to avoid the cussing, drinking, obscene gestures that goes on at the U. Granted, cussing and middle finger salutes still happen at BYU, just not as often... That said, there are pockets of great fans at the U who get it, but it's just easier at BYU.

So if it weren't for my dad who decided to take us to BYU games, who knows where I'd be today...

Bubba
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:51 PM   #16
bluegoose

Quote:

Lavell Edwards Stadium holds just shy of 65,000. So are the other 15,000 in attendance not fans or not sober?
Old 05-22-2007, 07:54 PM   #17
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Lavell Edwards Stadium holds just shy of 65,000. So are the other 15,000 in attendance not fans or not sober?
I didn't want to make assumptions about the visiting fans.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 08:00 PM   #18
bYuPride

Quote:
I didn't want to make assumptions about the visiting fans.
I wouldn't think BYU gets 15k visiting fans very often... Maybe when we play Utah they get a few thousand red shirts to come down, Texas A&M showed well, but LaVell Edwards Stadium is usually 60k+ sober BYU fans. I'll be sitting near the visitors section this year so I'll pay more attention to the sobriety of the opposing fans as well as their numbered attendance.

Bubba

"I'm on my beater bike"

Old 05-22-2007, 08:40 PM   #19
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
or mowing the lawn in the morning
You had me until this part.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:25 PM   #20
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

I'm a solid maybe:

I've never tailgated before but have season tickets (usually kick-butt seats on the 9th row baby!) and religiously attend BYU home games. I'm not sure what the fuss is all about tailgating-wise. It seems to me like the expenditure of time/effort would exceed any enjoyment I would derive from it. I would fell dumb just tailgaiting by myself with my three kids. Like The Borg previously stated, I think it would be a little wierd just showing up to tailgate with people I've never met before.

Thus, the fact that I've never tailgaited before, don't have any idea how to tailgate, not sure I will even like tailgating, and don't have anyone to tailgate with are all big obstacles to me ever becoming a true tailgater. That being said, it would be nice if you posted your "tailgate checklist" so investigators like myself could get an idea of the time, effort, and commitment involved.

P.S. - Did anyone else realize that The Borg's avatar winks? I just noticed that. Am I the last one to notice everything?
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote