cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2008, 03:08 AM   #11
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
His Utes lost to TCU in basketball. I hope you name a building after him.
Understood. The worst thing BYU has ever done was get rid of Crowton.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 03:16 AM   #12
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Understood. The worst thing BYU has ever done was get rid of Crowton.
When Crowton was released and Bronco was called, I must admit that my faith in the future was wavering. Alas the Lord works in mysterious ways and out of a humble horse rancher from Alpine he has created a masterful motivator of men.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 03:17 AM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
When Crowton was released and Bronco was called, I must admit that my faith in the future was wavering. Alas the Lord works in mysterious ways and out of a humble horse rancher from Alpine he has created a masterful motivator of men.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 03:27 AM   #14
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

That picture is tacky. I've never liked the halo effect on Jesus. It's how gentiles in the apostacy painted.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 03:35 AM   #15
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
That picture is tacky. I've never liked the halo effect on Jesus. It's how gentiles in the apostacy painted.
But it is offensive to ALUFs, so it can't be all bad.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:38 AM   #16
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
When I thought that the losses were an abberation. Even though I knew that this program is rebuilding...or rather building. It is difficult as a fan to see the team you cheer for show so much potential in some games, and then just fall flat on their collective faces in other games.

I understand all of the excuses that we have...new coach, youngish team, no depth, players quitting etc. But when the losses start to become the rule, at 15-11 (6-7) in conference you begin to understand how far this team, coach, and program have got to go.

Given the way they played Vs. UNLV & SDSU at home and at Air Force, I thought this team would be able to compete in the MWC tourney and maybe surprise some people...especially in a 4/5 game against SDSU and then a possible match up with the Cougars, whom they seem to play well against...but now, this team just seems a little deflated and has no confidence.

With three games to go, Boylan has to get this team 100% focused on having some momentum going into the conference tournament...this menas they need to win, IMO, two of the last three...@UNLV, @Wyoming, and home vs. CSU. I would hope that they could still do this, but who knows.

I still beleive...but it is getting tough.
I like Boylen and I thought he would have had a better rookie year. I still think he will be solid, but some of these losses are difficult to understand. The UNM game was huge for Utah in the wake of the loss to BYU and it appears that that loss is sending the Utes careening off the edge.

Oh well, buck up young fellars U will still get the BYU versus whoever in the first round of the NCAA tourney. One highlight opportunity left for ya'll yet!
Old 02-28-2008, 03:50 AM   #17
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I can get on board with that as well, I was really encouraged with the Washington loss, the Gonzaga loss, even the OT loss at SDSU and the games against BYU & UNM, but it's hard to see loss after loss pile up and be glad that they competed...call it lack of patience...especially when you see decent wins vs. Cal, SDSU, UNLV, USU, etc.
Despite MP's faith that the Ute's would compete for the MWC, the facts were that Boylen inherited some very average players talent wise. One only needed to look to last year to realize things would be rough this season. In that sense, a winning record and competing should be looked at as progress.

Not living in Utah I didn't see much of Boylen's sideline antics. Having now seen some from the BYU game, I can see why some think he is psycho. That one face where he looks like he is blowing spit spray through both sides of his mouth is classic. You've got to admit that were Rose to act this way Ute Fans would be all over it, and then under it, and then over it again. But he does seem to be a nice guy.

I counsel limited expectations for next year, and unless Boylen brings in some talented big men, more of the same after Luke moves on to the Turkish Basketball Association.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:01 AM   #18
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I don't disagree with you...and I'm certainly not giving up...it's just the getting there that is hard to deal with as a fan sometimes.
I like Boylen and fear he will restore you to competitiveness again, but I actually preferred Jock.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:29 PM   #19
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Despite MP's faith that the Ute's would compete for the MWC, the facts were that Boylen inherited some very average players talent wise. One only needed to look to last year to realize things would be rough this season. In that sense, a winning record and competing should be looked at as progress.

Not living in Utah I didn't see much of Boylen's sideline antics. Having now seen some from the BYU game, I can see why some think he is psycho. That one face where he looks like he is blowing spit spray through both sides of his mouth is classic. You've got to admit that were Rose to act this way Ute Fans would be all over it, and then under it, and then over it again. But he does seem to be a nice guy.

I counsel limited expectations for next year, and unless Boylen brings in some talented big men, more of the same after Luke moves on to the Turkish Basketball Association.
What's funny about the faces is that Rose did do something similar in the SDSU game towards the end during a time out...right after Tav missed that three, he walked on the court and was jawing at the officials and pulling faces...I had wondered if CB thought that Bruce Pearl or John Calapari were crazy for similar antics. But I understand the need to get on the rival's coach, so it's fine...just funny that that would be the hang up.

It'll be interesting to see what, if any, improvements Nevill makes to his game in the offseason. Apparently, Boylan has a talented big man coming in...but I'm at a "I'll believe it when I see it" point with this basketball coach and team.
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 03:06 PM   #20
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
What's funny about the faces is that Rose did do something similar in the SDSU game towards the end during a time out...right after Tav missed that three, he walked on the court and was jawing at the officials and pulling faces...I had wondered if CB thought that Bruce Pearl or John Calapari were crazy for similar antics. But I understand the need to get on the rival's coach, so it's fine...just funny that that would be the hang up.

It'll be interesting to see what, if any, improvements Nevill makes to his game in the offseason. Apparently, Boylan has a talented big man coming in...but I'm at a "I'll believe it when I see it" point with this basketball coach and team.
You have to admit that Boylen is pretty energized.

Admittedly I don't get to watch much MWC basketball, but everytime I watch Luke, I wonder why he isn't getting more touches. He seems to have a pretty good jump hook, unlike Plaisted who just flings the ball up there. Earlier in the season MP made it appear that Boylen was going to bring in some great (?) talent from the midwest (I think). I wonder about that.

My gut feeling is that Boylen will turn out to be a good coach and hard for Utahns in general, even Cougar fans, not to like. Of course there were moments that I actually thought Mitt would get the nomination.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote