cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2006, 04:06 PM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos
I've noticed words dropping out like "bullslt" and "h@te".
bullshit and hate? If I had edited your post, it would say "edited".

occasionally I will edit a post where someone didn't know how to use the quote function or some other technical issue. But I've never deleted a swear word by itself. I have deleted entire posts however.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 04:27 PM   #12
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
bullshit and hate? If I had edited your post, it would say "edited".

occasionally I will edit a post where someone didn't know how to use the quote function or some other technical issue. But I've never deleted a swear word by itself. I have deleted entire posts however.
That's really odd. It's done it to me several times on a few different posts.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 04:48 PM   #13
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33
Well, unless you've written 'em off like Archaea, then you are a fan of that kind of program.

You need to lower your expectations. We were only good because of the passing scheme. Once the better schools, with superior programs and athletes adapted we lost the only edge we had.
I haven't written them off, but I'm holding out hope that the admin still has a commitment to a winning program.

I won't lower my expectations. We were not only good because of our passing scheme. From '76 up through Detmer, we were better than we should have been because of the passing scheme.

Walsh and on has been the modern era of the passing game, and until Crowton came along, we were still a solid top 30 program, and that is what I expect.

Better schools and superior programs are Texas, USC, Tennessee. Better schools and programs are not our weak conference peers and lower half BCS schools.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:11 PM   #14
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
That's really odd. It's done it to me several times on a few different posts.
It has happened to me also several times lately.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:50 PM   #15
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
I haven't written them off, but I'm holding out hope that the admin still has a commitment to a winning program.

I won't lower my expectations. We were not only good because of our passing scheme. From '76 up through Detmer, we were better than we should have been because of the passing scheme.

Walsh and on has been the modern era of the passing game, and until Crowton came along, we were still a solid top 30 program, and that is what I expect.

Better schools and superior programs are Texas, USC, Tennessee. Better schools and programs are not our weak conference peers and lower half BCS schools.
What is the basis for the hope that the admin cares about a winning program?

I don't know, I want to believe, and I am still a fan. I have just grounded myself since Crowton that this team will never compete for a national title unless circumstances determining such change.

Were we top 30 from Walsh until Crowton? I think top 40 describes the team better though I could be wrong. 1996 skews the numbers some.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 09:07 PM   #16
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33
What is the basis for the hope that the admin cares about a winning program?

I don't know, I want to believe, and I am still a fan. I have just grounded myself since Crowton that this team will never compete for a national title unless circumstances determining such change.

Were we top 30 from Walsh until Crowton? I think top 40 describes the team better though I could be wrong. 1996 skews the numbers some.
Basis for hope I guess is believing what they tell us, that winning is still the primary objective for the football program. I know they've lied a lot to us, but I'm still holding out hope. Call me an optimist.

From 1992 - 2000, we averaged #38 in the computers, which is good for exactly 30th best in the nation. I don't think there's anything about that time period that is so special that it can't be duplicated on a long term basis.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:15 AM   #17
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Nice try Utes. You guys get an outsider coach come in for a few years and win a few games, then they leave and you start over. This doesn't make you a top 30 program, it makes you Wyoming.
I see you ignored my post, but then, you didn't like the numbers I posted that contradicted everything you believe, eh?

You also completely ignored the fact that Mike pointed out that BYU was very good for 20 years when Edwards was head coach. BYU was nothing before Edwards and is closer to nothing now than it close to greatness.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 01:17 AM   #18
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute
I see you ignored my post, but then, you didn't like the numbers I posted that contradicted everything you believe, eh?

You also completely ignored the fact that Mike pointed out that BYU was very good for 20 years when Edwards was head coach. BYU was nothing before Edwards and is closer to nothing now than it close to greatness.
I'm not going to engage in a debate with a Ute who wants to talk about football records during the Great Depression.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:18 AM   #19
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Basis for hope I guess is believing what they tell us, that winning is still the primary objective for the football program. I know they've lied a lot to us, but I'm still holding out hope. Call me an optimist.

From 1992 - 2000, we averaged #38 in the computers, which is good for exactly 30th best in the nation. I don't think there's anything about that time period that is so special that it can't be duplicated on a long term basis.
So, the criteria for being ranked a Top 30 program is only from 1992-2000? And if BYU averaged 38 those years, how does that translate into Top 30? Wouldn't it be 38? (That's not Top 30)

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 01:22 AM   #20
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute
So, the criteria for being ranked a Top 30 program is only from 1992-2000? And if BYU averaged 38 those years, how does that translate into Top 30? Wouldn't it be 38? (That's not Top 30)
No, but that's what someone asked me about.
Avg rank 38 for #30 total combined over the period.