cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2007, 03:34 PM   #11
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Glory and tradition talk really got going only 4 years ago?
Glory and tradition talk is what got Chow sent packing after the 1999 season.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 03:46 PM   #12
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Glory and tradition talk is what got Chow sent packing after the 1999 season.
How so?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 03:51 PM   #13
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
How so?
Glory and tradition talk set up an expectation for the fan base that Chow couldn't live up to.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:55 PM   #14
Indy Coug

Quote:
Glory and tradition talk set up an expectation for the fan base that Chow couldn't live up to.
That's honestly your position? Chow left because it was made known to him by the administration (either directly or through LaVell giving him the heads up) that he was unlikely to be name successor to LaVell. This was due to

1. Too many poor relationships with the administration
2. Too many poor relationships with the players
3. Too many problems with recruiting (see the Hawaiian pipeline)
4. Not very good with the media

Given the above, fan expectations don't even enter into the equation.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:01 PM   #15
jay santos

Quote:
That's honestly your position? Chow left because it was made known to him by the administration (either directly or through LaVell giving him the heads up) that he was unlikely to be name successor to LaVell. This was due to

1. Too many poor relationships with the administration
2. Too many poor relationships with the players
3. Too many problems with recruiting (see the Hawaiian pipeline)
4. Not very good with the media

Given the above, fan expectations don't even enter into the equation.
Well I don't argue any of those points, but they were all exacerbated by his relationship with the fanbase in general which was predicated on a failure to meet high expectations.

His bad years were better than GC's bad years, yet he didn't have you in his corner.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:09 PM   #16
Indy Coug

Quote:
His bad years were better than GC's bad years, yet he didn't have you in his corner.
He was a head coach? Besides, the things I listed had nothing to do with his X's and O's.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:55 PM   #17
jay santos

Quote:
He was a head coach? Besides, the things I listed had nothing to do with his X's and O's.
I don't really have anything to argue with you over on this. Chow may or may not have been a crappy coach at BYU. Chow may or may not have been a victim of high expectations he helped create. I don't care for now. Maybe if we're both bored and feeling energy about it we can fight over it later.

The point for this thread is that fans had high expectations in the late 90's which was built on a sense of tradition and glory that came from the winning of the prior 20 years.

The Ute that posted about how this talk suddenly appeared circa 2003 is totally off.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:58 PM   #18
OrangeUte

OrangeUte is on a distinguished road

Quote:

The Ute that posted about how this talk suddenly appeared circa 2003 is totally off.
Actually, Santos, no... The talk may have existed before that, but it certainly did not ever lend itself to so much expression until Utah consistently beat the crap out of BYU after Luke Staley left. Since that time it has become unbearable and ridiculous to hear Cougs constantly talking about "glory" and "tradition".

Cougs need to deal with the Crowton years, and the way they do it is to keep talking about days gone by. FYI, you're still not out of the woods yet - Bronco may prove to be the dud I believe he is afterall. At least you'll have the 'glory' days to fall back on when the fall from bronco-induced-heights comes.
OrangeUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 06:22 PM   #19
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
Actually, Santos, no... The talk may have existed before that, but it certainly did not ever lend itself to so much expression until Utah consistently beat the crap out of BYU after Luke Staley left. Since that time it has become unbearable and ridiculous to hear Cougs constantly talking about "glory" and "tradition".

Cougs need to deal with the Crowton years, and the way they do it is to keep talking about days gone by. FYI, you're still not out of the woods yet - Bronco may prove to be the dud I believe he is afterall. At least you'll have the 'glory' days to fall back on when the fall from bronco-induced-heights comes.
I don't know how old you are, I don't know where you're from, or when your discussions with Cougar fans began. Nothing changed circa 2003 concerning BYU's talk about glory and tradition other than maybe we were coming to terms that it might not endure forever.

Detmer won the Heisman 16 years ago due largely to the tradition and glory that had been built the prior 15 years. We've been talking about tradition and glory for a while, deservedly or undeservedly.

If you felt like the chatter got louder circa 2003, I'd say it was because you didn't pay attention earlier, or you were talking to a small group of Cougar fans who probably just had an agenda to get under your skin.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:14 PM   #20
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
I've been hoping for a First Down Brigham statue...

Is that a bird that he's flying there?