cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2007, 02:48 PM   #11
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Who really gives a crap what PR spin (optimistic, pessimistic) a coach gives as long as they and their players are working their butts off to win?

I think there are numerous examples out there to show different approaches work for different people and there isn't a one-size-fits-all way to do things. As for unrealistic fan expectations, maybe the problem is that fans are too willing to be hand-fed what their expectations should be instead of actually using the gray matter God gave 'em.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 03:02 PM   #12
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
"confidence" coming from the Cougar coaching staff? Not like footlong hotdogs made Flanders uncomfortable, but a real manly uncomfortable. I posted this on Cougarboard, but my 3/4 Santos ankle bracelett is stifling my contributions there. In between learning that Black Diamond Bay drags queers to dinner dates and Aussie Coug throwdowns with skinny Aussie boys with bad teethe and criminal geneology, you might have missed it. I miss the days the only concern with womenfolk was fingernail length on blessed consummation evenings...I digress.

This is just my preference, but I don't like to see coaches subtlely fanning the flames of expectations, hades hath no fury like a college sports fan spurned.

Part of the fanning of flames is the BYU homer media gang, but the coaches are adding to it. I did not like the article where the media reporter/columnist/beat writer or whatever his journalistic duties are referenced as, specifically made reference to Anae hearkening back to 1984 in a comparison of what BYU lost from 1983 to what BYU lost from 2006. I don't think it is wise for the HC to publically say that this squad is "reloading rather than rebuilding."

In private he should build up his team, but I think there is wisdom in the oft repeated "we have a chance to be a good football team." In fact I enjoy hearing the personal or private evaluations years after, such as Lavell's comments about his undisputed National Championship team, that without question accomplished the greatest single team athletic achievement in the history of any University presently situated in the state of Utah, where Lavell said that he really knew he had something special when he came home from a Spring scrimmage where the offense and defense had really gotten after each other and said to Patty that he did not know how many games they would win but they would have a great football team.

I hearken back to the fact that this is not the WAC of the early 1980s. BYU has not had back to back double digit winning seasons since Ty Detmer. Good years in Provo are not like good years in Vegas. If fans hear constant chatter about re-loading there will be significant stringpulling from the fanbase if BYU's offense does not look like it did against Oregon when the Y plays Arizona in Provo.

It was dumb when Crowton fanned the flames with not real thought out comments about "homeruns waiting to happen." History has proven me right, and IndyCoug wrong, with respect to Crowton. Really the last two sentences had nothing to do with this post other than a gratuitous shot at Indy.

Perhaps I am stringpulling over nothing, we shall see. I am just wondering if I am the only one scratching his head not totally convinced that this squad is likely to reload. Perhaps, it is all just semantics. I don't expect this squad to fall of the face of the earth but there is no way I do not forsee a drop in ability next year that is likely to result in one-three more losses than last season. I don't forsee another undefeated conference season. I expect BYU to be competitive, but I hearken back to BYU's more recent history of how well they play when coming off a great year like last year.

I just think some tempering of expectations from the coaching staff instead of fanning them might be prudent.
I disagree. Crowton's excuse making and expectation minimizing used to make me much more upset as a fan. Especially before his last year, he was making excuses before the season even started, exagerating his inexperience and talent gaps at certain positions and generally setting up the fans for a bad year. That did nothing but cover his own butt, and didn't instill much confidence in his team.

I imagine behind closed doors, Bronco says something like the following to his team. "Guys I've been talking in the media about how I expect this team to be good. I'm talking you guys up. Now you guys better have my back and work your a$$es off for me to get yourselves prepared to play at that level."

Bronco's weaknesses don't appear to be in getting his team to play hard and prepare hard. The only way Bronco's statements could hurt us is if they cause the players to get cocky and not work as hard. I just don't see that happening right now.

Now for Bronco, personally, they may not be in his best interest. As a coach, looking out for #1, you probably want to downplay expectations so that you look better when you meet them. Sandbagging is the first thing you learn in corporate America, and coaching is the same.

I like Bronco even more for sticking his neck out because he knows it's not best for him personally, but I believe he thinks it's the right way to motivate this team.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 08:13 PM   #13
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm with Jay on this one. And the thing is, as I look at the team returning this year, my impression is that they are more reloading than rebuilding - so I can't say the coaching staff is saying anything inaccurate.

Expectations for BYU football are already sky-high. I don't think positive statements by the coaching staff are going to increase expectations significantly.

Everything Bronco's done to this point has been successful, and much of it has been questioned, as well. I'm at the point where I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 09:53 PM   #14
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Losing Beck and having someone step in with 0 snaps in a BYU game means we're rebuilding to me. Beck was a great QB. I think BYU's record with a new QB is proof enough. We're not USC where we have a Sanchez waiting in the wings to take over for John David Booty who replaced a Leinhart who replaced Palmer. Damn, now that is reloading.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"

Last edited by Surfah; 03-27-2007 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Because I am not intelligent
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 10:04 PM   #15
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
Losing Beck and having someone step in with 0 snaps in a BYU game means we're reloading to me. Beck was a great QB. I think BYU's record with a new QB is proof enough. We're not USC where we have a Sanchez waiting in the wings to take over for John David Booty who replaced a Leinhart who replaced Palmer. Damn, now that is reloading.
it sounds like a classic rebuild year to me. Now the conference may not be strong enough, but my money would be on first TCU, second Utah and thirdly BYU, with Wyo the wildcard.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:16 PM   #16
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
it sounds like a classic rebuild year to me. Now the conference may not be strong enough, but my money would be on first TCU, second Utah and thirdly BYU, with Wyo the wildcard.
Sorry I edited that. I meant rebuilding instead of reloading. And I second your Spring Ball rankings.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:07 AM   #17
Insensitive PAP

Insensitive PAP
Default When I have questions such as these, I ask myself. . .

Quote:
"confidence" coming from the Cougar coaching staff? Not like footlong hotdogs made Flanders uncomfortable, but a real manly uncomfortable. I posted this on Cougarboard, but my 3/4 Santos ankle bracelett is stifling my contributions there. In between learning that Black Diamond Bay drags queers to dinner dates and Aussie Coug throwdowns with skinny Aussie boys with bad teethe and criminal geneology, you might have missed it. I miss the days the only concern with womenfolk was fingernail length on blessed consummation evenings...I digress.

This is just my preference, but I don't like to see coaches subtlely fanning the flames of expectations, hades hath no fury like a college sports fan spurned.

Part of the fanning of flames is the BYU homer media gang, but the coaches are adding to it. I did not like the article where the media reporter/columnist/beat writer or whatever his journalistic duties are referenced as, specifically made reference to Anae hearkening back to 1984 in a comparison of what BYU lost from 1983 to what BYU lost from 2006. I don't think it is wise for the HC to publically say that this squad is "reloading rather than rebuilding."

In private he should build up his team, but I think there is wisdom in the oft repeated "we have a chance to be a good football team." In fact I enjoy hearing the personal or private evaluations years after, such as Lavell's comments about his undisputed National Championship team, that without question accomplished the greatest single team athletic achievement in the history of any University presently situated in the state of Utah, where Lavell said that he really knew he had something special when he came home from a Spring scrimmage where the offense and defense had really gotten after each other and said to Patty that he did not know how many games they would win but they would have a great football team.

I hearken back to the fact that this is not the WAC of the early 1980s. BYU has not had back to back double digit winning seasons since Ty Detmer. Good years in Provo are not like good years in Vegas. If fans hear constant chatter about re-loading there will be significant stringpulling from the fanbase if BYU's offense does not look like it did against Oregon when the Y plays Arizona in Provo.

It was dumb when Crowton fanned the flames with not real thought out comments about "homeruns waiting to happen." History has proven me right, and IndyCoug wrong, with respect to Crowton. Really the last two sentences had nothing to do with this post other than a gratuitous shot at Indy.

Perhaps I am stringpulling over nothing, we shall see. I am just wondering if I am the only one scratching his head not totally convinced that this squad is likely to reload. Perhaps, it is all just semantics. I don't expect this squad to fall of the face of the earth but there is no way I do not forsee a drop in ability next year that is likely to result in one-three more losses than last season. I don't forsee another undefeated conference season. I expect BYU to be competitive, but I hearken back to BYU's more recent history of how well they play when coming off a great year like last year.

I just think some tempering of expectations from the coaching staff instead of fanning them might be prudent.
What would Captain Moroni do?

My experience tells me we should be rebuilding, but my head just can't agree.

A few things. First, you can't have a slogan "raising the bar" after a top 15 year and pretend that you don't think you are going to be good, just like you can't "keep it rollin'' by finishing at .500 in the MWC after going undefeated and winning in the Fiesta Bowl. Thankfully, we return our coaching staff.

Second, despite personnel losses, it's tough to look at the team and not expect them to be good. Unless momma was wrong when she told me that "games are and lost in the trenches", we should be good. Thinking back, I can't think of a stronger returning OL/DL combo than this year's.

Thirdly, we play in the MWC. As prop 48s fade farther into the past, you see BYU gaining momentum in the conference. I don't think that's a coincidence. Sure MWC teams can dip into Texas and get try to get 7th and 8th level recruits, but nobody outside TCU is going to get guys consistently.And while I agree that this isn't the 80s anymore, I actually think the MWC is getting pregressively worse due to the BCS. BYU is able to overcome this because of Church affiliation, but nobody else really has much of a draw.

As for Bronco & Co's bravado, is it that much of a surprise? Bronco's mantra has always been to let the players say anything they feel, so I don't expect anything less from him. When Curtis spouted off the last couple years, Bronco never rebuked him, in fact, it sounded like he encouraged it.

It just doesn't seem to be in Bronco's character to manage expectations, if managing them means lowering them. I've said in the past that Bronco is a nutjob, but he's our nutjob, and that's the kinda crazy it may just take to lead the Lord's football team.
Insensitive PAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:41 PM   #18
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Some great comments

I reckon I am similar to Pap, everything tells me it should be rebuild but there is a lot of talent and I am suffering from some sort of cognitive dissonance and reconciling the two is a wee bit difficult.

It is really weird in that in essence BYU is losing the big 3 who made got all the headlines in Beck, Brown and Harline, but in essence returning everyone else. I guess we shall see to what extent it is a team game.

I also like Santo's comment that he respects that Bronco is fanning the expectations as it demonstrates that Bronco is not about himself. Time will tell if it is the best approach with respect to motivating his team, but I think I agree with Jay's point and believe it is very salient with respect to Bronco's character.

Pap ain't so dumb with his conclusions about the MWC vis a vis the BCS. I propose that the less exposure for the mtn. is also for the betterment of BYU. If this mess is extended another half decade it could be a wonderful thing.

Last edited by Goatnapper'96; 03-28-2007 at 03:47 PM.
Goatnapper'96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:53 PM   #19
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I reckon I am similar to Pap, everything tells me it should be rebuild but there is a lot of talent and I am suffering from some sort of cognitive dissonance and reconciling the two is a wee bit difficult.

It is really weird in that in essence BYU is losing the big 3 who made got all the headlines in Beck, Brown and Harline, but in essence returning everyone else. I guess we shall see to what extent it is a team game.

I also like Santo's comment that he respects that Bronco is fanning the expectations as it demonstrates that Bronco is not about himself. Time will tell if it is the best approach with respect to motivating his team, but I think I agree with Jay's point and believe it is very salient with respect to Bronco's character.

Pap ain't so dumb with his conclusions about the MWC vis a vis the BCS. I propose that the less exposure for the mtn. is also for the betterment of BYU. If this mess is extended another half decade it could be a wonderful thing.
Actually, the comments of everybody here make sense.

I agree with Indy that smart fans shouldn't rely upon coachspeak, as we should know what to expect, that Pap's observations are spot on about the team and the conference and perhaps Bronco knows what he is doing. It would be nice to see and I won't be surprised if BYU does well or slips a bit. Either way I look forward to the upcoming season.

Anybody headed to the spring game?
Old 03-28-2007, 03:58 PM   #20
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Anybody headed to the spring game?
Wouldn't miss it. I wish more practices/scrimmages were open to the public. In the good old days, I would watch anytime they scrimmaged in LES--a few times each in the spring and fall.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote