cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2007, 03:31 PM   #11
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
This looks like it may have been a joke but it may still be inappropriate. Why is this different from that joke that sports caster cracked about Tiger Woods re get out the chitlins, etc.?
It's satire. They're making fun of the people who hold erronious beliefs about black QB's. There's the difference.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 05:13 PM   #12
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
This looks like it may have been a joke but it may still be inappropriate. Why is this different from that joke that sports caster cracked about Tiger Woods re get out the chitlins, etc.?
Wasn't it Fuzzy Zoeller who made those comments? I'd take a JaMarcus Russell any day. In fact if the Raiders don't take him with the first pick I am going to have a serious meltdown.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 05:36 PM   #13
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
Wasn't it Fuzzy Zoeller who made those comments? I'd take a JaMarcus Russell any day. In fact if the Raiders don't take him with the first pick I am going to have a serious meltdown.
Jamarcus Russell is a lot like Daunte Culpepper he is big and black.

At least that is how Indy would compare the two.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:44 PM   #14
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
Yes, it was Fuzzy who said that. He made the comment after Tiger Woods had won the Masters the first time and the winner gets to decide the Wednesday night dinner for all the golfers at the next year's Masters. Fuzzy said something like "We'll get to eat fried chicken and watermelon next year."

It may have been considered inappropriate, but I don't remember that Tiger was bothered by it - just hypersensitive liberals found it offensive.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 07:21 PM   #15
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Jay was joking about what the yokels would likely say. Fuzzy was being a yokel.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 09:13 PM   #16
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Okay, it looks it is time for my Jeff Chatman story.

When I was a small boy my dad had a job at BYU that gave him a lot of contact with BYU students and athletes. In his job he befriended Jeff Chatman the BYU basketball player. It was Jeff's freshman year in college and he was very homesick, so my Dad invited him over to our house for a good home cooked meal. We were all extremely excited to have Jeff over because we ate, slept and breathed BYU basketball, and he was one of the best players on the team.

Before dinner we played hoops outside, as my brother and I were both aspiring hoopsters. Then we went in for dinner and sat down to lasagna. As we were starting to eat we talked a little about Alabama where Jeff was from. Them my mother asked "Do you like lasagna Jeff?" He answered "Well I don't know I have never had it before."

(Now as I heard this I had an inspirational thought. I remembered my dad telling my mother about how his boss had a black family move in behind them. My dad who laughed like crazy at inapropriate jokes told my mother that someone had asked his boss if "she thought she would still want to live on the property when all the chicken bones and watermelon rinds piling up in the backyard." My dad laughed because he couldn't believe someone would say that, but I interpreted it as black people+fried chicken+watermelon=humor. And even then I thought I was funny.)

And so I said "What do you usually eat, Jeff? Fried chicken and watermelon?" I immediately knew I had done something wrong when my 14 year old brother punched me in the groin under the table. My mom gasped. My dad and oldest brother laughed in nervous shock. Jeff looked extremely uncomfortable. My parents smoothed it out and I was absolutely mortified that I had insulted one of my heroes.

We maintained our friendship with Jeff, since he is an absolutely stellar and wonderful human being. In fact he tutored me quite a lot on my post moves and so forth. I did eventually ask him how it made him feel. He told me that it upset and shocked him quite a lot, because he thought that he was in a safe place. He also understood that I was a little kid and that I did not understand what I was saying. I think it is a credit to him that he did not react more strongly.

The point of this story is that these types of stereotypes are painful and humiliating. They do a lot of damage and the people that use them ought to be ashamed. I know it still gives me pain to think how badly I hurt an 18 year old kids feelings, even though I did not know what I was doing.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 09:20 PM   #17
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Gerald Hill suspended from his highschool basketball team indefinitely. I am not surprised as i figured he would have character issues.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:29 PM   #18
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
The point of this story is that these types of stereotypes are painful and humiliating. They do a lot of damage and the people that use them ought to be ashamed. I know it still gives me pain to think how badly I hurt an 18 year old kids feelings, even though I did not know what I was doing.
Here's a question: Do you tell your kids about these stereotypes or just let it be? I am not sure if my kids would even connect fried chicken, Watermelon and blacks. Have I done a disservice by not teaching them or is it better to just hope these things die out? Is it better to address it and tell them not to use it, even though that raises the very issue that we collectively hope will go away?
Old 02-13-2007, 09:36 PM   #19
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Gerald Hill suspended from his highschool basketball team indefinitely. I am not surprised as i figured he would have character issues.
Huh? Is this breaking news or a joke I'm not getting?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 09:38 PM   #20
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Huh? Is this breaking news or a joke I'm not getting?
Apparently both.