cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: BYU sports - a missionary tool, a PR tool, or neither or both?
Missionary Tool 1 3.57%
PR Tool 4 14.29%
Neither 6 21.43%
Both 17 60.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-13-2008, 10:41 PM   #11
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
This post was in violation of our earlier agreement that you would refrain from discussing BYU athletics.
Dangit, you're right. But I will use the "I couldn't help it" defense here and ask that you represent me.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 10:46 PM   #12
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
You're too easy on the ALUF. You're pussing out on us Goat.
At present there are enough target rich ALUFs turning into enormous pussies about BYU's unfair advantage with mormons, the same front running ALUFs convinced BYU's demise was eternal 3 years ago because of the impediments resulting from BYU's religiosity, to mock that I get my fill. Orange is not of their ilk so I don't consider him an ALUF.

However, even with Garth and BoylenOver's best efforts PortlandUte might just drag down my star value. I have become his great big white whale!
Old 06-13-2008, 10:57 PM   #13
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
At present there are enough target rich ALUFs turning into enormous pussies about BYU's unfair advantage with mormons, the same front running ALUFs convinced BYU's demise was eternal 3 years ago because of the impediments resulting from BYU's religiosity, to mock that I get my fill. Orange is not of their ilk so I don't consider him an ALUF.

However, even with Garth and BoylenOver's best efforts PortlandUte might just drag down my star value. I have become his great big white whale!
Portland is a heckuva dentist and a nice guy, but waaaaaaaaay too sensitive about your posts and the good natured jabs you take. I gave up trying to convince him that you're ok.

Now, with your permission, I will ensure that your star value matters not one whit, as I will give you my endorsement and have webbie grant you donor status.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 10:57 PM   #14
OrangeUte

OrangeUte is on a distinguished road

my rant got taken a little bit out of context.

tithing to fund part of another's tuitions bothers me, and i know it doesn't go to athletics. that would be another post, which i'm sure exists if i wanted to resurrect it through a search.

i just stumbled across that blog article that i linked, and it made the argument of byu athletics as a missionary tool that gets on my nerves. i understand that there are those closely associated with the teams or athletic programs who often do convert, but i don't know of a single individual who joined b/c BYU fields a good team. However, I have met many who view byu and hence mormon's in a more normal light because of the success byu has in mainstream sports, and because of professional athletes affiliated with BYU or the church - i.e. steve young, danny ainge.

so, my point is really not a big one - byu sports should stick around because they put a good product on the field or court or track or pool, not because it causes conversion. also, as a ute fan, i need opposition in all things - byu needs to remain to be the yin to my yang, the pure white to my crimson and scarlet red, and so on and so forth
OrangeUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:06 PM   #15
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Of course people don't join the church because BYU fields a good team. What kind of non sequitur is that? You think that's what that blog says? You think that's what people mean when they say "missionary tool"? That some heretofore heretic watches Max Hall nail Austin Collie on 4th and 18, and experiences the rapture?

Hmmm. That was a very spiritual play.

Nevermind.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:17 PM   #16
OrangeUte

OrangeUte is on a distinguished road

well, smarty pants tex, so far it looks like there are those who are distinguishing between PR tool and missionary tool in the poll. apparently there are those who think that a PR tool is different than a missionary tool, as do i.
OrangeUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 01:53 AM   #17
Mars

Mars is on a distinguished road
Cool

Sete Aulai was baptized this week.

Curtis Brown was baptized while at BYU.

That's just the very tip of the iceburg that is BYU Football's Overwhelming Church-Growing Powers.
Old 06-14-2008, 01:58 AM   #18
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
well, smarty pants tex, so far it looks like there are those who are distinguishing between PR tool and missionary tool in the poll. apparently there are those who think that a PR tool is different than a missionary tool, as do i.

Liken it to a company. Missionary budget = direct sales budget. church PR = marketing budget. BYU football is more than PR. It's marketing. If you are uncomfortable calling it missionary $, that's fine, but I would consider that an ALUF type fear.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 02:01 AM   #19
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

BYU football and basketball may actually be hurting the Church. You see, we keep kicking ass up and down the field and court, our opponents and their fan bases are likely filled with a deep resentment of our athletic excellence and sportsmanship. Jealousy is a bitch.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 02:05 AM   #20
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
Then I think you're just splitting definitional hairs. All joking aside, no reasonable person thinks the Spirit habitually testifies at sporting events. When someone says "missionary tool" they are most likely referring to missionary fringe benefits as the result of good PR.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote